Really struggling on choosing a 240hz

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lmaoplshelp

Really struggling on choosing a 240hz

Post by lmaoplshelp » 17 Nov 2018, 02:53

Hi guys, I'm torn between the acer xf250q and the alienware aw2518hf, I simply can't find any info on the acers input lag and hear the alienware has the lowest. the acer is a bit cheaper than the alienware, so I'd like to go with it, but I don't know what the input lag is. If it's something like 3vs4ms input lag I wouldn't care, but I think the least is best when it comes to competitive fps's.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Really struggling on choosing a 240hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2018, 08:27

The spread is tight between many models.

I suggest you buy via Amazon, that way you can return the monitor if you are unsatisfied.

I have newly updated the monitor lists below for Black Friday. (The FreeSync and the GSYNC lists to begin with)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lmaoplshelp

Post by lmaoplshelp » 23 Nov 2018, 19:30

Thank you, I ended up getting the Acer XF250Q, but it feels like 144 hz (even in overwatch). I might just be too picky, but is it still supposed to appear a bit blurry when flicking around the screen? I figured 240hz meant it was completely smooth, even in 180s, but maybe I'm just flicking around too fast? Not sure if you could get your hands on a model and test if it is "true" 240hz, but that would be appreciated if you do have one.

lmaoplshelp

Post by lmaoplshelp » 23 Nov 2018, 19:44

Hmm, I just redid the frameskipping test and the monitor was frameskipping pretty badly, and after turning it off on and on it appeared to work just fine again. :|

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2018, 12:22

lmaoplshelp wrote:Hmm, I just redid the frameskipping test and the monitor was frameskipping pretty badly, and after turning it off on and on it appeared to work just fine again. :|
Oh! Did the XF250Q stop frameskipping when you turned off/on the monitor again?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lmaoplshelp

Post by lmaoplshelp » 25 Nov 2018, 01:09

Yeah, I mistyped. I meant once turning it off and then back on it stopped frameskipping. :( Doesn't appear that it fixes it anymore though. For now I'm setting it at 232 hz which appears to pass the test. It's worth noting that when I full screen the frameskipping test, it starts to glitch out pretty badly graphically (google chrome). There isn't anything bad with setting it at 232 hz is there? I don't know if I'm only frameskipping in this browser test or also in overwatch. Not sure what to look for when playing to be honest.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2018, 22:54

You can also try the custom resolution tweak found at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3598

Particularly, this image.

lmaoplshelp

Post by lmaoplshelp » 27 Nov 2018, 00:35

There shouldn't be any negative with using 232hz correct? I don't want to mess with resolution as it will change how my sensitivity feels. 232 hz vs 240 hz is 0 perceivable difference anyways.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2018, 15:35

Currently, while 232Hz may solve the frameskipping issue, I don't recommend the 232Hz band-aid but if you really do not want to return the monitor, that is an option.

Also, enabling FreeSync sometimes eliminates the frameskipping.

Also, changing the 240Hz timings slightly can also fix 240Hz frameskipping, as it successfully did on some early firmwares of other monitor vendors. This is the preferred band-aid over the 232Hz bandaid. And your 60fps material (e.g. YouTube) will play more smoothly at 240Hz than 232Hz.

lmaoplshelp

Post by lmaoplshelp » 27 Nov 2018, 20:19

So just edit the porch lines? here is a picture Image

What can I edit without affecting the input lag / resolution (so sensitivity stays the same.)