Any formula to convert Leo-Bodnar to SMTT input lag results?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
amback

Any formula to convert Leo-Bodnar to SMTT input lag results?

Post by amback » 23 Dec 2018, 18:21

Hi everyone, i have been trying to learn a lot about input lag, Signal Processing Lag, response time, ect.
I've been using different websites when researching monitors because no 1 single website has all monitor information; tftcentral, displayspecification, displaylag, tomshardware. but heres the problem, some of the sites have the result for a monitor in Leo-Bodnar test methodology while others have it on SMTT, now reading around i got to here and a post made by D-CHIEF he explains that Leo-Bodnar tests mainly helps console gamer, am mainly a pcgamer and thus feel that smtt will help me more when deciding to purchase or interested in a monitor. here's an example problem; i was looking at this monitor vue24a searched on tftcentral but they dont have a review, looked at tomshardware but their reviews is not in smtt mode(they say this in their test methodology), displayspecification show the same input lag results as tomshardware which is not in smtt mode, rtings didn't have a review of the monitor so i can't get smtt display lag number, pcmonitors also didn't review that monitor either.
basically we got some websites that "reviewed" the monitor and even less that did a real review but gave us input lag results in a non smtt methodology.

is there some sort of way to calculate or roughfly translate a Leo-Bodnar input lag to SMTT input lag?

thank you guys for the awesome job you guys do, it's kind of frustration reading a lot of "review" sites that barely touch on anything specific when it comes to monitor; eg. they say "the monitor has very low input lag" BUT fail to provide any number....

anyways, hope someone can help thxs

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Any formula to convert Leo-Bodnar to SMTT input lag resu

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2018, 20:43

amback wrote:Hi everyone, i have been trying to learn a lot about input lag, Signal Processing Lag, response time, ect.
I've been using different websites when researching monitors because no 1 single website has all monitor information; tftcentral, displayspecification, displaylag, tomshardware. but heres the problem, some of the sites have the result for a monitor in Leo-Bodnar test methodology while others have it on SMTT, now reading around i got to here and a post made by D-CHIEF he explains that Leo-Bodnar tests mainly helps console gamer, am mainly a pcgamer and thus feel that smtt will help me more when deciding to purchase or interested in a monitor. here's an example problem; i was looking at this monitor vue24a searched on tftcentral but they dont have a review, looked at tomshardware but their reviews is not in smtt mode(they say this in their test methodology), displayspecification show the same input lag results as tomshardware which is not in smtt mode, rtings didn't have a review of the monitor so i can't get smtt display lag number, pcmonitors also didn't review that monitor either.
basically we got some websites that "reviewed" the monitor and even less that did a real review but gave us input lag results in a non smtt methodology.

is there some sort of way to calculate or roughfly translate a Leo-Bodnar input lag to SMTT input lag?

thank you guys for the awesome job you guys do, it's kind of frustration reading a lot of "review" sites that barely touch on anything specific when it comes to monitor; eg. they say "the monitor has very low input lag" BUT fail to provide any number....

anyways, hope someone can help thxs
There is no formula, as the data necessary to convert numbers is missing from each other's numbers.

Leo Bodnar is a VSYNC-ON-relative 1080p 60Hz lag test result. More useful for console gamers.
SMTT is a 1000fps VSYNC OFF (at full-res max-Hz) lag test result. More useful for CS:GO gamers.

RTINGs numbers are VSYNC OFF and are relatively close to SMTT (albiet not exact) are very accurate for eSports players.

TomsHarware numbers are VSYNC ON (because of the "full refresh cycle scanout" criteria) and closer to Leo in methodology but test at max Hz / max refresh. And due to the sync bias, are more useful if you use VSYNC ON or gaming consoles.

Also, many tests are blackbox where GtG percentage is concerned. Measuring lag to "first GtG visibility" or GrG10% or GtG50% vs GtG90% etc. Some pixel transitions are fast to first-seen but laggy to GtG100%. Etc.

Only compare numbers within the same lagtest technique.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!