Need URGENT HELP!! [GSYNC vs ULMB vs Fixed Hz]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
3xpert

Post by 3xpert » 20 Jan 2019, 05:53

Hello, I recently bought an Asus PG258Q and I only play CS:GO, I noticed a new option on Nvidia Control Panel which says "Monitor Technology" with options with Gsync,ULMB and Fixed Rate, Can you please tell me which one is best for CS:GO and if there is any other options i should change for CS:GO, Hope to hear from you soon, Thank You!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Need URGENT HELP!!

Post by RealNC » 20 Jan 2019, 12:15

G-Sync is for removing tearing, like vsync does, but without the input lag issues of vsync. It also reduces stuttering when your framerate falls below 240FPS.

ULMB is a motion blur reduction mode. It makes the image clearer during motion. However, to use ULMB, you need to switch from 240Hz to 144Hz. So I think you won't be using that, since for CS:GO you want 240Hz.

Fixed refresh is the normal mode that disables g-sync. Most CS:GO players use fixed refresh because they run uncapped FPS (fpx_max 0) or a default FPS cap of 300FPS (fps_max 300). This is the lowest input lag you can get. If you use gsync, you need to cap your FPS to 237 (fps_max 237).

We have a detailed 14-page g-sync article here, which explains a lot about g-sync and how to set it up in case you want to try it out:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101

G-sync is great for games in general, but for very high FPS games like CS:GO, it might not be preferable. But for 99% of games, it's great.

ULMB is great for reducing motion blur. But again, you can't use it in 240Hz mode. You need to switch to 144Hz or 120Hz. ULMB can not be used at the same time as g-sync. Here's a few photos of how ULMB looks like:

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2019, 19:34

ULMB is Ultra Low Motion Blur.

For ULMB, see HOWTO: Using ULMB Competitively or Beautifully.

For GSYNC, see GSYNC 101

It's not ideal for everyone in CS:GO due to latency. But it depends on your gaming tactic. But it can be a huge advantage in very scrolly/panning games such as scrolling in RTS games, Sonic Hedgehog style platforms, crosshairs-less games. Anything that forces you to spend long time periods in continuous-panning motion without a fixed point of gaze (e.g. stationary characters or crosshairs).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!