RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
tygeezy

Re: RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Post by tygeezy » 28 May 2019, 15:55

RealNC wrote:This is an input latency graph, not frame time graph. It's the input lag that is "sawtoothing." Input lag increases over several seconds, then snaps back to minimum. Then increases again over time, then snaps back. It does this over and over.
Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. So you get way more consistent latency using scanline sync plus vsync over cap below refresh and use vsync.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 May 2019, 16:19

Yeah. But you don't use vsync with scanline sync. You need vsync OFF.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 28 May 2019, 16:24

RealNC wrote:Yeah. But you don't use vsync with scanline sync. You need vsync OFF.
Hmmmm Chief Blur buster was talking about combining them.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 May 2019, 17:07

With fast sync or enhanced sync. Not vsync :-)

(We've got way too many "syncs" nowadays, it gets confusing :mrgreen:)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 28 May 2019, 17:10

RealNC wrote:With fast sync or enhanced sync. Not vsync :-)

(We've got way too many "syncs" nowadays, it gets confusing :mrgreen:)
Agreed on the too many syncs and it being confusing, but he specifically mentioned vsync:

Combining RTSS ScanLine Sync with your preferred sync mode:
VSYNC OFF: Calibrate tearline offscreen
VSYNC ON: Calibrate tearline to stay permanently above bottom edge
Fast Sync: Calibrate tearline to stay permanently above bottom edge
Enhanced Sync: Calibrate tearline to stay permanently above bottom edge
Once you finish calibrating, switch to your preferred sync mode.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 May 2019, 17:19

Unless something changed recently, scanline sync wasn't working with vsync before. It would just stutter. Maybe it was just a bug last time I used it. Does it work for you?

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 28 May 2019, 17:36

RealNC wrote:Unless something changed recently, scanline sync wasn't working with vsync before. It would just stutter. Maybe it was just a bug last time I used it. Does it work for you?
I have been able to use them together without stutter; at least in one game (resident evil 7) The other game I like to play on my couch with my pc is battlefront 2. However, I can't get a consistent 120 fps. I hover between 100-120 fps at 1080 p (geforce 1070). So my only option would be to deal with tearing, or drop to 60 hz. I get the feeling that no sync other than freesync (my tv supports freesync) can help me get a tear free experience at 100 fps that isn't a stuttery mess.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 24 Jun 2019, 10:05

I'm testing a home theater, with HDMI I can't use G-sync, is scanline the best alternative?
Though I don't get how to set it, with a 60 Hz monitor should I set scanline sync 60 on RTSS and from game limit fps at 57?
Also I don't get the config file part, should I add SyncHotkeys=1 to a specific file or create one?
Or do you recommend buying AMD gpu and Freesync monitor (since freesync can work on HDMI)?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jun 2019, 13:05

Abiak wrote:Though I don't get how to set it, with a 60 Hz monitor should I set scanline sync 60 on RTSS and from game limit fps at 57?
Reminder to every reader

The "3fps cap differential" advice is only for variable refresh (G-SYNC, FreeSync, VRR, VESA Adaptive-Sync).

Everyone else, please make sure when mentioning "cap a few fps below", to mention that advice only applies to variable refresh rate methodologies, as explained in multiple tests (GSYNC 101, Battle(non)sense, etc).

Just so you know! ;)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 24 Jun 2019, 14:09

Ok so scanline sync 60 and fps limit 60?
The other questions?