RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
whitestar

Re: RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Post by whitestar » 13 Apr 2020, 17:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 12:15
whitestar wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 10:44
Never mind, I got it to work now. The hotkeys weren't acually hard coded into ACC.

This is brilliant! Works really well.

But...one problem: When I exit the game the position of the scan line isn't saved. Which means I have to repeat the procedure of hiding the tearline every time I start the game.

Is this expected behaviour? If so then this isn't exacly an ideal solution.
see what the scanline offset became, then type that number into the RTSS configuration.
OK, but where do I see that scanline offset? Sorry if you've written this info somewhere before - if so I have missed it.

okaxihd

Post by okaxihd » 31 May 2020, 23:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 19:25
Aldagar wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 15:47
Is it a good idea to use Scanline Sync in combination with VSync? I haven't found any answer about it.
Yes, there are ways to make RTSS kind of work with VSYNC if you're careful about calibrating it.
It does not always work nor interact well, but there are some combinations that work.

See first page of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4916
Aldagar wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 15:47
Using Scanline Sync in demanding games that require high GPU usage makes the tearline jump erratically, but activating VSync solves the problem. I suppose this reintroduces input lag and stuttering when the frame rate falls below the monitor's refresh rate. However, I noticed from my experimentation using Afterburner and FRAPS (obsolete, but the only program I know that measures frame times at every single frame and allows to make graphs) for monitoring, that in most games, using standalone VSync without any frame rate cap makes the frame times fluctuate heavily, but with Scanline Sync activated frame times are stabilized and both Afterburner and FRAPS show a flat line graph.
Yes, RTSS Scanline Sync can make inputread-to-presentation more consistent.

While RTSS Scanline Sync is designed for VSYNC OFF, you can follow the instructions in the first page of this thread to calibrate RTSS Scanline Sync with VSYNC ON / Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync / Triple Buffering / Etc. There are some weird interactions that can happen, however, it can provide a "stutter-instead-of-a-tearline" experience for those momentary GPU spikes, if you prefer that.

What you need to do is calibrate RTSS Scanline Sync to try to put your tearline jitter margins just before the VBI, rather than inside the VBI. This will eliminate your ability to gain "Quick Frame Transport" benefits (since VSYNC ON usually keys a frame flip at the beginning of VBI rather than end of VBI), but it would allow you to have a "stutter-instead-of-tearline" (only for refresh cycles that would have contained a tearline) experience while not sacrificing the input lag for tear-free refresh cycles.

I use scanline sync together with vsync 120hz 1/3 = 40fps and the input lag is very low, much better than normal vsync, I use 1 for scanline sync 1/3 and synctimeout = 1 is very fluid and without lag.
But if I only use scanline sync 1/3 and normal vsync is stuttered, why?
Sorry about my English.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Jul 2020, 08:17

okaxihd wrote:
31 May 2020, 23:31
But if I only use scanline sync 1/3 and normal vsync is stuttered, why?
Don't use vsync. Set vsync OFF in the nvidia panel and in-game.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

deama

Post by deama » 08 Jul 2020, 09:34

Scanline sync is a syncing method in of itself, you don't need any other form of vsync with scanline sync. I've even observed some microstutters or tearlines that disappeared after disabling vsync but keeping scanline sync.

terry98

Post by terry98 » 04 Oct 2020, 18:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 20:45
The blanking interval size is (Large Vertical Total) minus (Vertical Resolution). So a VT1350 at 1080p means you've got a generous 270-line jitter margin that's completely off-screen. Meaning, a tearline can vibrate 270 pixels up/down and still never appear.
Hi, I must say that now I dont play if scanline sync isn't active xD, about the quote.. I play on a LG 4K HDTV, fake 120Hz (it does framskipping), so I only use 60Hz to play. the normal 1080p resolution has a total vertical of 1125, for emulators and low gpu usage games I can disappear the line at 1045. I tried increasing the vertical total to 1350 and the tv starts to frame skip, the lowest total vertical I can do is 1180, but then the line goes down to 1150 to disappear... doesn't it have to disappear at the same 1045??

Edit: I fixed it, I understood that I had to add the difference in pixels to the Vertical Front Porch, it's like moving the active image upwards so it has the "free space" below. This sync method really changes the gaming visual experience.

terry98

Post by terry98 » 14 Oct 2020, 12:41

After many hours of testing different settings on different games, I wanted to share my personal preferred settings for directx12 and vulkan, these give me rock solid 16.6ms in most games even sometimes when the card goes above 70% utilization.

[Framerate]
Limit=0
LimitDenominator=1
LimitTime=0
SyncScanline0=588
SyncScanline1=1124 (my default total vertical is 1125)
SyncPeriods=1
SyncHotkeys=1
SyncFlush=0
SyncTimeout=0

For Dx11 I set SyncFlush=1, all these settings with EnhancedSync enabled in the game profile of the AMD drivers and in-game vsync off in everygame.

I have tested these at 1080p on Resident Evil 2 an 3 (Dx12), Serious Sam 4 (Vulkan), Boderlands 3 (Dx12), Monster Hunter World (Dx12), Mk 11.. the most annoying game have been Jedi Fallen Order but that's a crappy optimized game. Also, most games have high settings, only when the frames drop to 40ish fps you start to notice some heavy stuttering. All this using a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Red Devil 5700 (non XT) and 32gb ddr4 3200mhz CL16, so it's not a super machine. With a 2080 you could get flawless 16.6ms 100% of the time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Oct 2020, 13:40

terry98 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 12:41
SyncScanline1=-1

This would do the same thing, while also being compatible with future vertical totals, because negative numbers are subtracted from Vertical Total to create the index. So if you enlarge/shrink vertical totals, this will "follow along".

Now, depending on what you need to do, you might need a bit more safety margin, since larger Vertical Totals can hide tearlines better than smaller Vertical Totals (like Reduced Blanking settings / LCD Reduced / etc). However, if it works for you then it works well for you -- just that different margins can work better for different systems;
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Oct 2020, 13:42

terry98 wrote:
Those settings look good! Though I might do one thing differently, by using negative indexes.

SyncScanline1=-1

This is identical in your case -- This would do the same thing, while also being compatible with future vertical totals, because negative numbers are subtracted from Vertical Total to create the index. So if you enlarge/shrink vertical totals, this will "follow along" bottom-relative to your existing Vertical Total. So if you use VT1337 (ha!) in the future, then -1 translates to 1336 (as in 1337 - 1 = 1336).

Now, depending on what you need to do, you might need a bit more safety margin, since larger Vertical Totals can hide tearlines better than smaller Vertical Totals (like Reduced Blanking settings / LCD Reduced / etc). However, if it works for you then it works well for you -- just that different margins can work better for different systems;

Large vertical totals also reduce input lag for near-end-of-VBI Scanline Sync, because of a "Quick Frame Transport" effect too, but not all displays can support larger vertical totals at the max Hz. Though it's useful if you're using a lower refresh rate anyway (e.g. to improve strobe quality, as an example).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

terry98

Post by terry98 » 14 Oct 2020, 14:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 13:42
terry98 wrote:
Those settings look good! Though I might do one thing differently, by using negative indexes.

SyncScanline1=-1

This is identical in your case -- This would do the same thing, while also being compatible with future vertical totals, because negative numbers are subtracted from Vertical Total to create the index. So if you enlarge/shrink vertical totals, this will "follow along" bottom-relative to your existing Vertical Total. So if you use VT1337 (ha!) in the future, then -1 translates to 1336 (as in 1337 - 1 = 1336).

Large vertical totals also reduce input lag for near-end-of-VBI Scanline Sync, because of a "Quick Frame Transport" effect too, but not all displays can support larger vertical totals at the max Hz. Though it's useful if you're using a lower refresh rate anyway (e.g. to improve strobe quality, as an example).
Oh, nice! thanks for the tip, I tried increasing the vertical front porch to have more space to hide the tearing line but I'm left without ycrcb422, so I then left the stock total of 1125, another thing.. using SyncScanline1=1124, in game stats is shown as SyncScanline1=561 I don't know why.

Something interesting.. if negative numbers are substracted from the total, couldn't we use percentages as well? for the people using 80% for the tearing line going down as much as to 90% percent of the screen it would be faster to setup.

As for increasing the total vertical, with cru I can only increase the front porche 64 pixels, more than that and the value turns red and doesn't let me save the setting.. In the amd drivers I can go up to 1195 total before the screen starts to skip frames.. damn lg hdtv xD but at least I can play nice with these settings.

deama

Post by deama » 14 Oct 2020, 15:49

terry98 wrote:
After many hours of testing different settings on different games, I wanted to share my personal preferred settings for directx12 and vulkan, these give me rock solid 16.6ms in most games even sometimes when the card goes above 70% utilization.

[Framerate]
Limit=0
LimitDenominator=1
LimitTime=0
SyncScanline0=588
SyncPeriods=1
SyncHotkeys=1
SyncFlush=0
SyncTimeout=0

For Dx11 I set SyncFlush=1, all these settings with EnhancedSync enabled in the game profile of the AMD drivers and in-game vsync off in everygame.

I have tested these at 1080p on Resident Evil 2 an 3 (Dx12), Serious Sam 4 (Vulkan), Boderlands 3 (Dx12), Monster Hunter World (Dx12), Mk 11.. the most annoying game have been Jedi Fallen Order but that's a crappy optimized game. Also, most games have high settings, only when the frames drop to 40ish fps you start to notice some heavy stuttering. All this using a Ryzen 5 3600 with a Red Devil 5700 (non XT) and 32gb ddr4 3200mhz CL16, so it's not a super machine. With a 2080 you could get flawless 16.6ms 100% of the time.
Did you use the frame colour indicators? Those I found to be more accurate than frame times as even with a 100% stable frame time, sometimes the frame colour indicators flickered and if I focused on the flickers instead, I got it smoother than if I focused at the frame time.