RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Oct 2022, 22:19

MrEWhite wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 22:13
So, I'm using Scanline Sync with the new DXGI Swapchain option in the Nvidia drivers (I've noticed this lets Scanline Sync work with Vulkan games) with the Quake remaster from last year. But, I'm having an odd thing occur with it. If I just setup Scanline Sync like usual (no FPS caps), I get a really jittery frametime, but if I use a 120 FPS FPS cap in Rivatuner, the frametime becomes flat once again. Does anyone know why this is happening? Here's images with and without the FPS cap:
Can you post your frametime graph? Thanks!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrEWhite

Post by MrEWhite » 27 Oct 2022, 22:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 22:19
MrEWhite wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 22:13
So, I'm using Scanline Sync with the new DXGI Swapchain option in the Nvidia drivers (I've noticed this lets Scanline Sync work with Vulkan games) with the Quake remaster from last year. But, I'm having an odd thing occur with it. If I just setup Scanline Sync like usual (no FPS caps), I get a really jittery frametime, but if I use a 120 FPS FPS cap in Rivatuner, the frametime becomes flat once again. Does anyone know why this is happening? Here's images with and without the FPS cap:
Can you post your frametime graph? Thanks!
Sorry, how would I get that? Isn't that what the graph is in the images I posted?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Oct 2022, 23:58

Then tell me, how did you know you have a jittery frametime?

RTSS has a graphing overlay feature. From instructions from Guru3D forum, bring up the frametime graph as an OSD -- "Enable frametime history overlay" toggle.

It looks like a chart with two axises.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MrEWhite

Post by MrEWhite » 30 Oct 2022, 14:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 23:58

RTSS has a graphing overlay feature. From instructions from Guru3D forum, bring up the frametime graph as an OSD -- "Enable frametime history overlay" toggle.

It's in the images I posted, isn't it? You have to zoom in a bit as it's 4k.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Oct 2022, 17:10

MrEWhite wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 14:41
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Good point!
I've edited your images to be clickable.

Now I do see the frametime graph built into it. It was so hard to see in the thumbnails.

Now that I had a moment to see it, that's a weird and interesting observation that you needed both Scanline Sync and a cap for the graph to become flat. I wonder why that is the case. Are you using a single monitor (no 2nd display, disable gaming laptop LCD?)

MrEWhite

Post by MrEWhite » 02 Nov 2022, 15:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 17:10
MrEWhite wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 14:41
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Good point!
I've edited your images to be clickable.

Now I do see the frametime graph built into it. It was so hard to see in the thumbnails.

Now that I had a moment to see it, that's a weird and interesting observation that you needed both Scanline Sync and a cap for the graph to become flat. I wonder why that is the case. Are you using a single monitor (no 2nd display, disable gaming laptop LCD?)
Just a single 4k monitor hooked up to a RTX 4090.

Milincho

Post by Milincho » 05 May 2023, 09:37

I'm trying to use this method, but when trying to move the tearline outside the screen... it just immediately appears on the other side.
I ise Ctrl+Shift+Down to move it out the screen and it just appears on the top... so there is always a visible tearline either at the bottom of the screen or at the top. Even at *both* places at the same tim: tearline at the very bottom and tearline at the top.

Tried adding more vertical total pixels in the resolution using CRU but it does exactly the same.

Does using DSR and DLDSR interfere with any of this?

What am I doing wrong?

Milincho

Post by Milincho » 05 May 2023, 11:07

Just read on a reddit post that this only works when GPU load is under around 70%. That when GPU load is above 70% tearing will reappear, is this normal then?

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 05 May 2023, 12:27

My understanding and experience is that the higher the GPU load, the larger the space the tear jitters around. I may be mistaken.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 05 May 2023, 12:30

Milincho wrote:
05 May 2023, 09:37
I'm trying to use this method, but when trying to move the tearline outside the screen... it just immediately appears on the other side.
I ise Ctrl+Shift+Down to move it out the screen and it just appears on the top... so there is always a visible tearline either at the bottom of the screen or at the top. Even at *both* places at the same tim: tearline at the very bottom and tearline at the top.

Tried adding more vertical total pixels in the resolution using CRU but it does exactly the same.

Does using DSR and DLDSR interfere with any of this?

What am I doing wrong?
Keep the vertical resolution the same. What needs to be done is increasing the vertical total and making sure that increases the vbi. Try using the vertical total calculator option. What's the refresh rate you're aiming for?