RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
user256

Re: RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Post by user256 » 16 Nov 2020, 19:37

On a 60 Hz monitor, if a game is capped internally at 60 FPS and V-SYNC is always on as well (with no settings to uncap it and to turn off V-SYNC), does it make any sense to try to force externally V-SYNC off, and then use Scanline Sync for lower lag and reduced tearing, or will there be some conflict with the internal 60 FPS frame limiting of the game? What about higher built-in frame limits (again with no settings to turn them off), 120 FPS, for instance, can this cause any issues with Scanline Sync's own frame limiting on a 60 Hz monitor? Or should I just use normal V-SYNC in these situations?

Also, what graphical APIs Scanline Sync is supporting? Anything older than DirectX 9? And out of sheer curiosity, does it work with software rendering?

calvin2sr

Post by calvin2sr » 05 Dec 2020, 06:38

Hi:

I need help. I have a lot of tearing in my 144 Hz monitor using RTSS. No vsync, fast sync or gsync configured.

This is a the 2 bars shows the tearing. Its in slow motion.

The RTSS configuration is this.

What is the problem?

Thank you.
Attachments
ezgif-4-8e08a066e841.gif
ezgif-4-8e08a066e841.gif (433.11 KiB) Viewed 6496 times
rtss.png
rtss.png (273.7 KiB) Viewed 6496 times

tech

Post by tech » 06 Dec 2020, 11:00

calvin2sr wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 06:38
I need help. I have a lot of tearing in my 144 Hz monitor using RTSS. No vsync, fast sync or gsync configured.
You are dropping frames. From my experience and watching other streamers with beefy hardware I see Fortnite struggles with maintaining consistent frame rates. Also, in my experience scanline sync uses high load on one cpu core.

If you want to try and optimize this for higher minimum fps I'd recommend pulling up a msi afterburner fps graph to look out for the average minimum fps so that you can better judge whether or not scanline sync would be feasible.

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 08 Dec 2020, 20:30

Would a 3060 ti have enough GPU power left at 1080p to use scanline sync in modern games at 60fps without stutters?

FireCulex

Post by FireCulex » 21 Dec 2020, 19:13

Been over a year and adding SyncHotkeys=1 to global still does nothing. Just got a new laptop with an nvidia card and thought i'd try this again but...nothing.

edit: discovered the SyncInfo=1 setting. It appears the hotkeys do work. It's just not reflected in the gui part of the program at all. The box where you put in the scanline has to be changed manually. Now I have to find a game and test it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2020, 15:22

FireCulex wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 19:13
Been over a year and adding SyncHotkeys=1 to global still does nothing. Just got a new laptop with an nvidia card and thought i'd try this again but...nothing.

edit: discovered the SyncInfo=1 setting. It appears the hotkeys do work. It's just not reflected in the gui part of the program at all. The box where you put in the scanline has to be changed manually. Now I have to find a game and test it.
You can also use the new RTSS horizontally-scrolling bar to calibrate RTSS Scanline Sync. I need to update the HOWTO based on the new version.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Interceptor

Post by Interceptor » 09 Feb 2021, 13:16

Hello.
I have a little problem with scanline sync.
I have 1 monitor 144hz connected via DP, and 4k TV via hdmi.
When I try to set scanline scync when I play on TV (no g-sync etc) and set -140 in RTSS it cap frames to 144fps not 60 (tv refresh rate) but even if I set sync to /2 and than fps goes to 72 it's still to much and have no idea how to fix it so when I play on TV, scanline sync will lock fps to 60. It worked some time ago.
im using latest rtss 7.3.0 beta 10

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2021, 17:02

Scanline Sync works better with single monitor / primary monitor. Temporarily disable/disconnect one display before starting up RTSS and the game.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 17 Feb 2021, 00:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 15:22
You can also use the new RTSS horizontally-scrolling bar to calibrate RTSS Scanline Sync. I need to update the HOWTO based on the new version.
I've tried reading the main thread about it on Guru3D but it's very confusing. Apparently there is something new called Front-Edge sync that is better? Do any new developments allow for higher GPU usage or does it still need to be low to function?

SixelAlexiS

Post by SixelAlexiS » 05 Mar 2021, 04:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 15:22
FireCulex wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 19:13

Hi Chief, I'm a huge fan of your work! Sorry to bother you but I just discovered about the Front and Back Edge Sync of the new RTSS, do you have any ETA for an updated guide on that? I'm really curious to understand how it works. Thank you!