RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FireCulex

Re: RTSS Scanline Sync HOWTO

Post by FireCulex » 30 Mar 2019, 15:23

adding SyncHotkeys=1 to [Framerate] does absolutely nothing. Whether its global or in a specific profile, ctrl-shift up/down doesn't work.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Mar 2019, 17:17

FireCulex wrote:adding SyncHotkeys=1 to [Framerate] does absolutely nothing. Whether its global or in a specific profile, ctrl-shift up/down doesn't work.
Disable scanline sync first (set it to 0.) Do the keys work then?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RXDimA

Post by RXDimA » 08 Apr 2019, 05:04

I tried this with Shmupmame and it is BEAUTIFUL.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2019, 12:32

RXDimA wrote:I tried this with Shmupmame and it is BEAUTIFUL.
Great to hear that RTSS Scanline Sync works wonderfully with Shmupmame!

Mind if you share your emulator-optimized configuration settings?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RXDimA

Post by RXDimA » 11 Apr 2019, 01:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RXDimA wrote:I tried this with Shmupmame and it is BEAUTIFUL.
Great to hear that RTSS Scanline Sync works wonderfully with Shmupmame!

Mind if you share your emulator-optimized configuration settings?
I still haven't done anything special, just enabled hotkeys and SyncScanline0. Is there a place with consolidated documentation about all the options related to Scanline Sync? Information about this is kinda all over the place (or I missed the thread explaining everything in detail).

Scanline Sync works well on my laptop (Intel HD 3000), but when I tried it on my desktop I couldn't get it to work (framerate is not limited to refresh rate). I didn't have much time to figure out why that happens though, so I will check this issue again when I have some time.

Edit: I can't get Scanline Sync to work on my PC. I opened a thread about this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5223

7bhsq

Post by 7bhsq » 14 Apr 2019, 00:19

I've been using Scanline sync for a few games now, and while at first it appears to work well, there's a tendency for the tearline to crawl or move to unexpected places while playing. If I'm understanding this correctly, the tearline should be wherever you set it to be, with a bit of fluctuation depending on performance. Has anyone experienced this?

Edit: I figured out the problem. My gaming monitor wasn't the first monitor, so RTSS was syncing to my other monitor. Everything is working as expected now that the gaming monitor is the first monitor.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 28 May 2019, 11:36

What has less input lag.... Scanline sync + Vsync or Vsync and using rtss to cap ever so slightly below your monitors refresh rate?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 May 2019, 15:13

tygeezy wrote:What has less input lag.... Scanline sync + Vsync
Well-tuned Scanline Sync is more perfect.
tygeezy wrote:Vsync and using rtss to cap ever so slightly below your monitors refresh rate?
It is lower lag than VSYNC ON without capping, but can still produce sawtooth latency effects.

Lower latency, but a latency-sawtoothing artifact as the framerate cap slews past the refreshrate. It may take several seconds to complete a single sawtooth cycle though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 28 May 2019, 15:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
tygeezy wrote:What has less input lag.... Scanline sync + Vsync
Well-tuned Scanline Sync is more perfect.
tygeezy wrote:Vsync and using rtss to cap ever so slightly below your monitors refresh rate?
It is lower lag than VSYNC ON without capping, but can still produce sawtooth latency effects.

Lower latency, but a latency-sawtoothing artifact as the framerate cap slews past the refreshrate. It may take several seconds to complete a single sawtooth cycle though.
What is sawtoothing? Is that frametime spikes going from 16-33 ms? So when I adjust where the tear line is I want it slightly above the bottom of the screen? When I had scanline sync on playing resident evil 7 the tear line with s sync was on the top half of the screen and I paired that with vsync to get a very comfortable experience.

For Re7 i was playing at 1080 p 120 hz with hdr. I can hold 120 fps over 90 % of the time at that resolution but my gpu usage is fairly heavy at 75-92 %. Should I be using the flush=1? It looks like you need to add that command line either in the global settings or the specific games profile as I didn't see it in the config document. I'm a bit confused on when you want to be using the flush option.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 May 2019, 15:48

This is an input latency graph, not frame time graph. It's the input lag that is "sawtoothing." Input lag increases over several seconds, then snaps back to minimum. Then increases again over time, then snaps back. It does this over and over.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.