overly twitchy/shaky/not smooth mouse at 144hz?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: overly twitchy/shaky/not smooth mouse at 144hz?

Post by RealNC » 29 Jan 2019, 01:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:We need a rawinput-compatible paint program with subpixel accuracy :D
Using nvidia DSR or amd VSR to do a 4x resolution increase during the test can help a bit.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 29 Jan 2019, 16:35

Il report back Once I get the new mouse/mat..... The more I stare at my mouse the more im doubting it's the mouse/mouspad.....I'm noticing it sometimes flickers or warps for less then a mili second and sometimes it looks like it's underwater.hmmm....I can see the edges of the mouse pointer getting thicker sometimes like motion blur when moving.
Last edited by wiseude on 29 Jan 2019, 22:00, edited 3 times in total.

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 29 Jan 2019, 18:29

Update:I noticed that when looking at the mouse on a grey background lines appear.Multiple vertical lines around the mouse pointer.

I don't know if it's a visual trick or something but when looking at the mouse directly while moving it left and right these "veritical lines" appear behind it and when looking at the grey background itself the lines don't show up even If I move the mouse left and right as long as I don't look at the mouse directly.

This is some proper mind fuckery.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Jan 2019, 22:54

wiseude wrote:Update:I noticed that when looking at the mouse on a grey background lines appear.Multiple vertical lines around the mouse pointer.

I don't know if it's a visual trick or something but when looking at the mouse directly while moving it left and right these "veritical lines" appear behind it and when looking at the grey background itself the lines don't show up even If I move the mouse left and right as long as I don't look at the mouse directly.

That's just a TN panel pixel inversion artifact. It's normal. LCD pixels are very fragile and would normally die very fast. To keep them alive, the monitor needs to constantly invert voltages. The result of this is that some color combinations (especially when they involve gray) result in this kind of visual artifact. There's a test for this here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

(Don't keep that page open for too long. Extreme-case pixel inversion tests are not too healthy for monitors.)

TN panels are the most affected, but in general, all LCD types suffer from this to some extent.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 30 Jan 2019, 09:33

RealNC wrote:
wiseude wrote:Update:I noticed that when looking at the mouse on a grey background lines appear.Multiple vertical lines around the mouse pointer.

That's just a TN panel pixel inversion artifact. It's normal. LCD pixels are very fragile and would normally die very fast. To keep them alive, the monitor needs to constantly invert voltages. The result of this is that some color combinations (especially when they involve gray) result in this kind of visual artifact. There's a test for this here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

(Don't keep that page open for too long. Extreme-case pixel inversion tests are not too healthy for monitors.)

TN panels are the most affected, but in general, all LCD types suffer from this to some extent.

UPDATE: I managed to get my new mouse and pad and altought its a bit better I still see some twitching/flicker and even some warping of the mouse pointer when swiping left and right on a twitch stream (not always).I wonder if it's twitch or youtube causing it....it's more noticeable when moving the mouse around with a video /stream going on.

In games it doesn't seem to do anything so I could just put up with it...

Another thing I noticed is the higher the hz are the brighter my screen gets.Like....144hz for some reason is brighter then 120hz.I'm starting to think this monitor is going to crap.I even tried changing dp cable and nothing changed.Could it be driver related?using 417.22

This is where I started to notice ghosting issues with the mouse.Had to lower overdrive to light instead of normal.

Could it be the monitor crapping out effecting the mouse?

My brother told me to get over it since it's probably normal behaviour and I'm just anal about the tiniest thing.Thing is I don't remember if I had these mouse "problems" before or I didn't simply notice them before.(he somewhat gets the warp too if I move the fast left and right for like 10 seconds)
Last edited by wiseude on 30 Jan 2019, 15:04, edited 4 times in total.

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 30 Jan 2019, 13:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Adjusting the DPI-versus-sensitivity balance helps a lot. In many games I find fluidity improves with "higher mouse DPI-low game sensitivity" combinations especially for slow mouseturn situations.

Basically, when I turn extremely slowly while admiring scenery in a solo FPS adventure game, I want my slow mouseturns to be smooooth, not steppy-steppy-steppy turns. That's why I like 1600dpi (and sometimes 2400dpi or 3200dpi) during these times, I can get "TestUFO-silky-smooth mouseturns and pans" even for slow mouseturn and slow mousedrags, if that sorta thing is important to you.

Importing the "TestUFO stutterless, stepless smooth mouse turns" into FPS games -- at all slow/med/fast turnspeeds -- can require ultrahigh DPI + ultralow ingame sensitivity combinations, but that can sometimes (slightly) distort fast mouseturns for twitch eSports, depending on how the mouse/drivers/game interacts. Historically, gaming mice were crappy at 1600dpi+ or 3200dpi+. That's less and less the case.

The new sensors have fixed a lot of problems at 1600dpi and now more eSports players have switched to 1600dpi to allow stepless slowturns without sacrificing flick fastturns.

However, the aimfeel can feel "wrong" if you're in twitch games and you need a more balanced sensitivity-to-DPI ratio, common is 400dpi or 800dpi, but that's waaaaaay too low for me for strobed ULMB VSYNC ON when I want stepless mouseturns even for sloooooow mouseturns while gawking scenery or such.

Now, that's a totally different use case than paid eSports competitive. Mousefeel is sometimes better at lower DPI such 800dpi, though some champion players like sprEEEzy (I moderate a channel on his Discord server now, #monitor-tech-talk) now use 1600dpi for their mouse. It depends on what kind of gamer you are.

Hopefully your new mouse has one of those new ultraaccurate sensors that are perfectly great at 1600dpi. For such insane quadruple-digit DPI, you NEED a really good mousepad engineered to have low tracking error rates at high DPI -- and replace the mousepad occasionally due to wear-tear like you have.

Yes, yes, desktop mouse arrow will be too fast. But you want "TestUFO-smoooooth mouseturns" in FPS at all turnspeeds, slow turns and fast flick turns? Sorry, no choice. Use mouse profiles (e.g. Razer, Logitech) to automatically jack up the DPI when steam.exe launches, and automatically decrease DPI when steam.exe exits. ... And slow down the game mouse turns by sliding the in-game sensitivity slider very low in the game to compensate for ultra-high DPI.

That way, you get the same mouse turnspeed at 3200dpi or 6400dpi as you used to at 800dpi.... Except ultra-slow-turns and ultra-slow mousepanning are massively smoother. Stepless slow turns where your mouse really slowly millimeters across your mousepad. That said, extreme DPI that are not well implemented can degrade accuracy of flick turns, so it's extremely important that the mouse is as flawless as possible at the quad-digit DPIs -- that includes the mouse, sensor, feet, mousepad... Then you've got the silk feel at all slow/fast turns.

If you have wear-tear, you may get more accurate aiming at lower DPI like 800dpi. But eliminate the weak links (sensor, pad, mousefeet, etc), and higher DPI ends up better, giving you ultrasmooth slowturns without sacrificing the quality of your fast flickturns. Sometimes I feel the advantages of >3200dpi during slowturns (especially in strobed VSYNC ON!) -- but usually I stick to 1600dpi depending on the mouse brand, and many of the top eSports players now are increasingly switching to 1600dpi nowadays. It can require more frequent mousefeet cleanings / mousepad replacements to keep 1600dpi or 3200dpi or higher staying topnotch though!

In fact, some of the newer gaming mice no longer have an 800dpi setting that used to be the mantra -- minimum starting at the quadruple digits.

UPDATE: I managed to get my new mouse and pad and altought its a bit better I still see some twitching/flicker and even some warping of the mouse pointer when swiping left and right on a twitch stream (not always).I wonder if it's twitch or youtube causing it....it's more noticeable when moving the mouse around with a video /stream going on.

In games it doesn't seem to do anything so I could just put up with it...

Another thing I noticed is the higher the hz are the brighter my screen gets.Like....144hz for some reason is brighter then 120hz.I'm starting to think this monitor is going to crap.I even tried changing dp cable and nothing changed.Could it be driver related?using 417.22

This is where I started to notice ghosting issues with the mouse too.Had to lower overdrive to light instead of normal.

Could it be the monitor crapping out effecting the mouse?

My brother told me to get over it since it's probably normal behaviour and I'm just anal about the tiniest thing.Thing is I don't remember if I had these mouse "problems" before or I didn't simply notice them before.(he somewhat gets the warp too if I move the fast left and right for like 10 seconds)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2019, 16:19

wiseude wrote:UPDATE: I managed to get my new mouse and pad and altought its a bit better I still see some twitching/flicker and even some warping of the mouse pointer when swiping left and right on a twitch stream (not always).I wonder if it's twitch or youtube causing it....it's more noticeable when moving the mouse around with a video /stream going on.
Warping is not good. Sometimes intensive background processing does that, and when that happens, it's really annoying. It happens mainly in non-rawinput mode (windowed, etc).

Once you've maxed out the motion quality of your mouse.... Excellent. Now, the weak link is pushed somewhere else, not the mouse. Some applications can freeze the mouse and then warp the mouse. That is another weak link that needs to be focussed on.

Try temporarily using your game's ingame framerate capper to slow down the framerate of the game to give more processing time to twitch streaming. Cap your framerate about 25% lower and see if the twitch warping stops.

Upgrading CPU *and* GPU can help prevent cursor-warping caused by background video compression (streaming is voraciously processor-hungry. It was still a pipe dream merely 10 years ago to remotely dream of broadcasting full high definition 1080p from a home computer WHILE playing a game. Even today, it still brings some mid-high end computers almost to their knees today.

There is also a #streaming-tech-talk on sprEEEzy's Discord server that may be able to help you troubleshoot streaming issues. If you have a Discord chat account, follow this Discord invite link and join #streaming-tech-talk. There's been past talk of mouse-warp-during-streams sometimes. An NVIDIA employee monitors it too sometimes (nick Findal), since it's in their interests to keep their streaming compression working flawlessly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 30 Jan 2019, 17:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
wiseude wrote:UPDATE: I managed to get my new mouse and pad and altought its a bit better I still see some twitching/flicker and even some warping of the mouse pointer when swiping left and right on a twitch stream (not always).I wonder if it's twitch or youtube causing it....it's more noticeable when moving the mouse around with a video /stream going on.
Warping is not good. Sometimes intensive background processing does that, and when that happens, it's really annoying. It happens mainly in non-rawinput mode (windowed, etc).

Once you've maxed out the motion quality of your mouse.... Excellent. Now, the weak link is pushed somewhere else, not the mouse. Some applications can freeze the mouse and then warp the mouse. That is another weak link that needs to be focussed on.

Try temporarily using your game's ingame framerate capper to slow down the framerate of the game to give more processing time to twitch streaming. Cap your framerate about 25% lower and see if the twitch warping stops.

Upgrading CPU *and* GPU can help prevent cursor-warping caused by background video compression (streaming is voraciously processor-hungry. It was still a pipe dream merely 10 years ago to remotely dream of broadcasting full high definition 1080p from a home computer WHILE playing a game. Even today, it still brings some mid-high end computers almost to their knees today.

There is also a #streaming-tech-talk on sprEEEzy's Discord server that may be able to help you troubleshoot streaming issues. If you have a Discord chat account, follow this Discord invite link and join #streaming-tech-talk. There's been past talk of mouse-warp-during-streams sometimes. An NVIDIA employee monitors it too sometimes (nick Findal), since it's in their interests to keep their streaming compression working flawlessly.
By warping I mean the mouse flickers/changes shape a bit not teleporting.(turns out warping is when the mouse jumps around.Didn't know that.)