Optimal settings best pic and low inputlag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
chokodenner

Optimal settings best pic and low inputlag

Post by chokodenner » 03 Feb 2019, 05:03

Hey everyone. first of all, i have trying read all guides in here about g-sync and inputlag and framestutter and try understand it.
I like to play BR games like pubg and roe (ring of elysium)
so i want to ask whats the most optimal settings is for a smooth picture.. like minimal inputlag and smooth picture.
right now im running g-sync whit v-sync in nvcp. on 165 hz
i cant affort 165 fps becus of my 1070 grapic card. im plannig to upgrade in future.
in Roe theres a fps limit of 120 fps. im runnig around 100-110 fps.
in pubg i get som fps drops from time to time at med-high setttings
i know if i lower grapic settings it will get me more fps but i cant stand play pubg or roe whitout AA set to max..

my spec is currenly

CPU:I 7 7700k 5ghz
GPU:Gtx 1070 strix
monitor is pg279q whit set to race mode.
im very competive but at same time want to get most out of my gsync and game experience..

sorry for my bad english and spelling..

ChokoDenner :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Optimal settings best pic and low inputlag

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2019, 05:31

To always make sure you're not getting vsync input lag, configure your games with an FPS cap. For ROE, you said it already forces a 120FPS cap, so you're set there.

For PUBG, configure it to either an FPS cap of 162FPS (that's 3FPS below your max refresh), or set it to be close to the average FPS you get in the game in order to avoid huge fluctuations in frame rate. Which of the two you pick is personal taste. I prefer capping my FPS close to the average FPS rather than capping to max Hz - 3. I feel motion blur and input lag is more consistent that way.

For games that don't have an in-game FPS limiter, check https://pcgamingwiki.com to see if the game has a hidden FPS limiter that can be configured in one of the game's configuration files (.ini files and such.)

If a game just doesn't have an FPS limiter at all, you can use RTSS to set an FPS cap.

Finally, if a game has microstutter (aka "judder"), meaning high FPS but it looks jittery and not very smooth, using RTSS even if the game has an in-game limiter might fix that. (This is not related to g-sync. Some games have this kind of microstutter regardless of whether you have g-sync or not.)

Another thing you might try it to disable vsync. That is, make sure it's OFF in-game and also OFF in the nvidia panel. I have found that in some cases, using vsync ON will result in hitching/stutter in games that often suffer from FPS drops or freezes. So you can try that to see if that makes games smoother. It might add tearing though. In general, it varies from game to game. Some games I play with vsync ON (like Prey and CS:GO), some other games I play with vsync OFF (like Dragon Quest 11). As a general rule I do the following: Turn vsync OFF in the NVCP globally. When I play a game, if I get tearing, I set vsync to ON the profile for that game in the nvidia panel.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

chokodenner

Post by chokodenner » 03 Feb 2019, 05:42

thaks for anwser.. will try it out..
what i just understand in the guide 101 g-sync i throught that v-sync in nvcp only was the most optimal but i feel to much inputlag whit it on.
my current nvcp is
g-sync on and set to fullscreenmode
pre frames 1
refreshrate set to highest avible
:)
will it be better if i lock fps at 120 hz isted of 165 and then cap my fps to 120 og 118? whit g-sync on and v-sync off in nvcp

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2019, 05:53

chokodenner wrote:what i just understand in the guide 101 g-sync i throught that v-sync in nvcp only was the most optimal but i feel to much inputlag whit it on.
Only if you don't cap your FPS to at most 162FPS. If you don't cap your FPS, and it goes above 162, then you will get input lag.
will it be better if i lock fps at 120 hz isted of 165 and then cap my fps to 120 og 118? whit g-sync on and v-sync off in nvcp
No. The higher your refresh rate, the less input lag you get. So use 165Hz and cap to at most 162FPS (you can cap lower if you want, but not higher.)

To explain what I mean, imagine you cap to 60FPS (or are playing a game that is locked to 60FPS, like Street Fighter or Bayonetta.) If you use 60Hz, you will get a lot of input lag. If you use 120Hz, you will get less input lag. If you use 165Hz, you will get even less input lag. In all three cases, the game is running at 60FPS, but the higher refresh rate will still give you lower input lag.

So always use the highest refresh rate in games. 120Hz is best for the desktop (it's good for watching videos and movies). But for games, use the highest refresh rate.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

chokodenner

Post by chokodenner » 03 Feb 2019, 06:00

okay. ty for taking your time to help me..
i just feel things run smoother and more quicker whit v-sync off and only gsync on. like in pubg when looting.
but whit boot on i feel image is more smooth but looting tiny delay or input lag.. or maby its just me.. or its might be becus of the vsync adjust the refreshrate when vsync its on..

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2019, 06:11

chokodenner wrote:i just feel things run smoother and more quicker whit v-sync off and only gsync on. like in pubg when looting.
but whit boot on i feel image is more smooth but looting tiny delay or input lag.. or maby its just me.. or its might be becus of the vsync adjust the refreshrate when vsync its on..
As I mentioned earlier, g-sync with vsync ON can produce hitching in some games. Since you mentioned looting, this is usually because when opening in-game menus (like the inventory or looting screen), the game will freeze for a fraction of a second. But with vsync enabled, this produces a longer stutter. With vsync OFF, it does not. For me, this happens in Witcher 3 when opening the map or the inventory. We don't know exactly what causes it. It could be a bug in g-sync, or it might be unavoidable. Who knows. But it happens.

This is why I said that I now recommend setting vsync to OFF, and only set it to ON for games where this results in tearing.

chokodenner

Post by chokodenner » 03 Feb 2019, 06:15

okay.. thx for the help :)