Monitor colors & response time?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Cheedar

Monitor colors & response time?

Post by Cheedar » 16 Feb 2019, 02:20

First lets agree to throw image, color, and motion quality out the window.
Does lowering
- All 3 colors (R,G,B)
-brightness
-saturation
-contrast
Have any affect on input lag in high refresh rate monitors? Again, ignoring usability/visibility/image and color quality.
When setting overdrive settings to max, there is a single pixel trail of a white afterimage behind moving objects. That's from color overshoot right? So wouldn't lowering colors as low as possible show a decrease in input lag as those pixels now have a much closer "final destination" requirements? As well as lowering brightness contrast and saturation, so that it basically needs to work less to reach the "final form" of each pixel as the set finals are much lower. Is this just visually misleading by covering up the overshoot through illusion or is this measurable? (Ignoring color and image quality)

For example PG279 asus monitor at 165hz, overdrive extreme, colors all at 30, fps mode, saturation 30, contrast 30, brightness 30 versus the monitor at default settings?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Monitor colors & response time?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Feb 2019, 04:41

Short answer: NO. Don't bother.

Long answer: (chuckle -- not going to open this Pandora Box fully today)

-- Also, for certain adjustments -- think of it this way, it's like shortening the height of a glass to get a fuller glass. You can still see photons of light well before GtG 100%. A GtG% transition at 50% is still human visible. In some kinds of adjustments, why sell yourself short having an 8cm tall glass versus 10cm tall glass, when the pouring water reaches 5 centimeters at the same speed regardless? (Think of a GtG transition like filling a glass)
-- In yet other adjustments, like overdrive or other things that amplify speed of GtG (in exchange for gaining some distracting artifacts), can reduce the apparent input lag of pixel transitions. But, you may be only be affecting GtG "first light" visibility by less than a millisecond, in exchange for some rather severe overshooting (coronas)
-- Don't forget that lag can consist of multiple different behaviours (e.g. absolute lag versus scanout lag). Sometimes higher-lag with better image quality leads to better scores. Perhaps you've got a much brighter image, or a ghost-free image, and can see motion more clearly without all the extra crap. Also, 240Hz that is 1ms laggier than 120Hz can still be preferable, since you've got twice as many scanout opportunities per second, so latency-to-next-scanout is reduced, despite the slight increase in absolute lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bakedchicken

Post by bakedchicken » 18 Mar 2019, 05:10

on my monitor aw2518hf theres some "Preset Modes" such as "Standard" "FPS" "RTS" "Game 1". Do changing between those have any bearing on input lag, did they do whacky things setting certain preset modes to be inherently different in displaying images?

Because when i change to "FPS" mode for example, suddenly most things have weird black borders around stuff. literally cant play with it, i assume they did that intentionally to highlight enemies or something. The Contrast/saturation/color settings stay the same, all other settings dont change, so whats going on and how does that relate to input lag?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Mar 2019, 05:54

The monitor will process the image in the same amount of time, regardless of what these kinds of options are set to. So latency will be the same.

When the monitor receives the image signal, it runs it through an algorithm that changes it. This step always takes the same amount of time to complete, regardless of the values that are used for colors, contrast, etc.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 18 Mar 2019, 08:12

Cheedar wrote:First lets agree to throw image, color, and motion quality out the window.
Does lowering
- All 3 colors (R,G,B)
-brightness
-saturation
-contrast
Have any affect on input lag in high refresh rate monitors? Again, ignoring usability/visibility/image and color quality.
When setting overdrive settings to max, there is a single pixel trail of a white afterimage behind moving objects. That's from color overshoot right? So wouldn't lowering colors as low as possible show a decrease in input lag as those pixels now have a much closer "final destination" requirements? As well as lowering brightness contrast and saturation, so that it basically needs to work less to reach the "final form" of each pixel as the set finals are much lower. Is this just visually misleading by covering up the overshoot through illusion or is this measurable? (Ignoring color and image quality)

For example PG279 asus monitor at 165hz, overdrive extreme, colors all at 30, fps mode, saturation 30, contrast 30, brightness 30 versus the monitor at default settings?
I think it can.Even my old 60hz monitor became more responsive when I lower brightness and contrast to 0 to test.If you select ELMB it is same like brightness 0.The darker the better. :D
With your settings I probably cant see s..t in games.:) 30 is too low for my eyes.

97dake

Post by 97dake » 22 Feb 2022, 00:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 04:41

-- Also, for certain adjustments -- think of it this way, it's like shortening the height of a glass to get a fuller glass. You can still see photons of light well before GtG 100%. A GtG% transition at 50% is still human visible. In some kinds of adjustments, why sell yourself short having an 8cm tall glass versus 10cm tall glass, when the pouring water reaches 5 centimeters at the same speed regardless? (Think of a GtG transition like filling a glass)
-- In yet other adjustments, like overdrive or other things that amplify speed of GtG (in exchange for gaining some distracting artifacts), can reduce the apparent input lag of pixel transitions. But, you may be only be affecting GtG "first light" visibility by less than a millisecond, in exchange for some rather severe overshooting (coronas)
-- Don't forget that lag can consist of multiple different behaviours (e.g. absolute lag versus scanout lag). Sometimes higher-lag with better image quality leads to better scores. Perhaps you've got a much brighter image, or a ghost-free image, and can see motion more clearly without all the extra crap. Also, 240Hz that is 1ms laggier than 120Hz can still be preferable, since you've got twice as many scanout opportunities per second, so latency-to-next-scanout is reduced, despite the slight increase in absolute lag.
I apologize in advance, if my question is dumb. I'm new to the whole response time thing. But I wonder, can it actually improve motion clarity?
I found it for myself that using anti-aliasing improved motion clarity for me. I think it's due to softer edges that are less contrasting and saturated. Shouldn't the same concept apply here?

roz133

Post by roz133 » 23 Feb 2023, 04:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 04:41

Sorry to necro this thread but will changing these rgb values increase input lag at all? My eyes can handle the screen comfortably for longer when the blue is turned down and the image is a lot more reddish but I want to make sure there is 0 negative effect on input lag or gaming performance (however small the effect may be).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2023, 05:40

roz133 wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 04:41
Sorry to necro this thread but will changing these rgb values increase input lag at all? My eyes can handle the screen comfortably for longer when the blue is turned down and the image is a lot more reddish but I want to make sure there is 0 negative effect on input lag or gaming performance (however small the effect may be).
There's no electronic lag change, assuming GtG pixel response of the color channels are the asme.

However, human lag varies from human to human -- you might have slower human reaction time without blue, for example. That, I can't really answer for you -- you will have to test out for yourself.

The human is part of the input lag chain.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

roz133

Post by roz133 » 23 Feb 2023, 07:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 05:40
roz133 wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 04:41
There's no electronic lag change, assuming GtG pixel response of the color channels are the asme.

However, human lag varies from human to human -- you might have slower human reaction time without blue, for example. That, I can't really answer for you -- you will have to test out for yourself.

The human is part of the input lag chain.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't actually thought of that and even when I read your post I didn't that was a possibility tbh and when I tested it out a bit it does seem like I react noticeably slower with blue down all the way :o

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 23 Feb 2023, 18:23

Cheedar wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 02:20
First lets agree to throw image, color, and motion quality out the window.
Does lowering
- All 3 colors (R,G,B)
-brightness
-saturation
-contrast

You can kinda reduce color space by going YCbCr 4:2:2 or lower if you have, see how it feels. It does say in the description of the option that going with a lower color space might help when you're trying to push high frames. The option can be found in Nvidia Control Panel under Resolution.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini