Input Lag on razer Deathadder Elite

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Inventing

Input Lag on razer Deathadder Elite

Post by Inventing » 19 Mar 2019, 14:55

Hello everyone,

Around a week ago I purchased a Razer Deathadder elite and was very pleased with it. It had a low response time, and was much faster than any other mouse I had ever used, and everything was fine. However, after I went a couple days without using it, when I plugged it back into my computer, I found that it suddenly had much higher input lag than what it had before, going from what I estimate was around 1-2ms to 8-10ms, which is very noticeable. I have a Dell XPS 15 9570, which has a 60 hertz display, and typically can run games at over 100 fps. I know this is not a monitor related question, but I have spent at least 12 hours over the past 2 days researching and attempting to fix this issue without any success. Is there anyone with any ideas on what I can do to fix it, or any personal experience with the Dell XPS 15 9570 having similar issues? Is it a problem with the mouse, or the computer? Any help is appreciated!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Input Lag on razer Deathadder Elite

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2019, 19:17

Before going further, I've seen some things fix mouse lag
1. Full reboot (complete power off to cold) -- reboots everything
2. Full unplug of mouse (complete unplug) -- reboots mouse electronics
3. Make sure Zowie drivers are used, not Microsoft default drivers.
4. Try other USB ports -- reinitializes

Also, check for red herring effects (such as introduction of mixed-Hz multimonitor ). Sometimes the mouse will lag as much as the lower-Hz monitor on the high-Hz monitor, when some screen activity is occuring on the low-Hz monitor. This normally should not happen but I've seen this repeatedly happen, in some buggy situations.

Also, make sure poll rate is 1000Hz (1ms) instead of 125Hz (8ms). Sometimes that requires the vendor drivers, not the Microsoft drivers.

I've also seen that sometimes when you uninstall the vendor drivers, the mouse (if still plugged in and powered) still stays at 1000Hz with the Microsoft drivers until your computer is power cycled, then it's back to just 125Hz on the next computer power up from cold boot. It does not always happen with all mice. So if you uninstalled several days ago and it worked fine for several days and then stopped working, this might be the possibility.

Also, don't share the same USB port cluster with an external disk drive or high-bandwidth USB, that can slow down the lag of your mouse -- if you added a large number of ultrahigh-bandwidth USB devices (e.g. disk array) you might want to consider a PCI-Express USB3 quad-port card to spread the bandwidth load around.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alexander1986

Re: Input Lag on razer Deathadder Elite

Post by alexander1986 » 30 Mar 2019, 09:10

Inventing wrote:Hello everyone,

Around a week ago I purchased a Razer Deathadder elite and was very pleased with it. It had a low response time, and was much faster than any other mouse I had ever used, and everything was fine. However, after I went a couple days without using it, when I plugged it back into my computer, I found that it suddenly had much higher input lag than what it had before, going from what I estimate was around 1-2ms to 8-10ms, which is very noticeable. I have a Dell XPS 15 9570, which has a 60 hertz display, and typically can run games at over 100 fps. I know this is not a monitor related question, but I have spent at least 12 hours over the past 2 days researching and attempting to fix this issue without any success. Is there anyone with any ideas on what I can do to fix it, or any personal experience with the Dell XPS 15 9570 having similar issues? Is it a problem with the mouse, or the computer? Any help is appreciated!
did you fix your issue btw? interesting problem and was thinking of buying this mouse aswell but now got scared! lol :D