[Help]Setting up Scanline Sync for a 1080p Monitor

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
NovaBlack

[Help]Setting up Scanline Sync for a 1080p Monitor

Post by NovaBlack » 31 Mar 2019, 08:38

Hey folks, i just decided to try out the Scanline Sync feature inside of RTSS,
I know there are a lot of threads about it but it's honestly quite confusing for me when it comes to all the different values etc.

So here i am asking for a little help if possible.

I'm using a gtx 1080 on a Benq XL2411@144hz/1080p
What would be the ideal number i should use for said Monitor(if the monitor matters?)

Thank you guys in advance, i'll will gladly test out everything you throw at me ;)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: [Help]Setting up Scanline Sync for a 1080p Monitor

Post by RealNC » 31 Mar 2019, 13:29

Try -200 first. You should see tearing near the bottom of the monitor. Increase this number until the tearing is at the bottom of the screen. You don't need to restart the game or anything, you can just alt+tab to RTSS and change the number.

The ideal number does not depend on the monitor. It depends on the current resolution, the game you're running, the GPU you're using, and possibly also the GPU driver version.

For games that are heavy on the GPU, there isn't an "ideal number." If your GPU does not have enough headroom left, it's not gonna work well.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

NovaBlack

Post by NovaBlack » 01 Apr 2019, 06:47

RealNC wrote:Try -200 first. You should see tearing near the bottom of the monitor. Increase this number until the tearing is at the bottom of the screen. You don't need to restart the game or anything, you can just alt+tab to RTSS and change the number.

The ideal number does not depend on the monitor. It depends on the current resolution, the game you're running, the GPU you're using, and possibly also the GPU driver version.

For games that are heavy on the GPU, there isn't an "ideal number." If your GPU does not have enough headroom left, it's not gonna work well.
is there actually a difference between your number and lets say -20, -30, -40 and so on? (i always seem to find those values).
would -20 mean it's closer the the bottom or a higher number?
should i just leave it as it is if i don't see tearing anymore? it's currently on -30 as a test.

i usually only use s-sync for lets say overwatch and my usage is between 15-35max(i play on the lowest possible settings plus lower resolution ingame).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Apr 2019, 13:15

Of course there's a difference. If there wasn't, all you'd have would be an on/off switch, there wouldn't be a need to input a scanline value.

The number you enter represents the scanline you want to sync against. Positive numbers directly indicate a scanline, negative numbers indicate a scanline in relation the last scanline. The scanline you enter will not be the final scanline the GPU actually syncs against. There is some lag, which differs between GPUs, games and drivers. That's why there's no "magic" value. Test and see what works for you. I didn't suggest -200 because it would work. I suggested because it would NOT work well, so that you can see tearing and then increase the number until the tearing is at the bottom. So after -200, you'd increase the value to -100, then increase again to -80, and so on.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2019, 18:13

Correct, use an extreme value temporarily to intentionally make the tearline visible.

You have to make the tearline visible before you control it.

Remember tearlines appear in horizontal motion, so do some strafing and mouseturns to test scanline sync.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NovaBlack

Post by NovaBlack » 16 Apr 2019, 13:02

Just came back to let you guys know that -30/-20 works really well.
I've noticed something though, since locking frames to 144fps on 144hz would usually result in a 6.9ms lag, in overwatch however it's 7, 7.1 and so on.
So i was wondering if the cap in s-sync is not 100% accurate?
When i turn s-sync off and use the normal rtss cap it stays at 6.9.
In overwatch, we have 3 "SIM" values the last one is the only one fluctuating, for example whenever i start to right-click, the number goes up, so i thought it might be the lag of my mouse or something like that.

Anyway i was just wondering if it's just me or if it's a known little "problem" :)