[Help] Can't get Scanline Sync to work

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
RXDimA

[Help] Can't get Scanline Sync to work

Post by RXDimA » 11 Apr 2019, 18:41

I tried Scanline Sync on my laptop, and it works amazingly well, but I can't get it to work on my desktop PC. Framerate in games is not limited to my screen's refresh rate, and games just run uncapped. The normal RTSS framerate limiter works though. Things I tried were reinstalling RTSS, updating the GPU driver, and running RTSS as admin, yet none of these helped.

Three things to note about my PC are that I added a custom video mode in nVidia Control Panel, that my Windows 10 was not updated in a very long while, and that I have an HTC vive connected. The custom video mode is 1280x720@120Hz, not officially supported by the TV I am using, but it works. As for my Win10 version, it is version 1703 right now. I am reluctant to update because every other update introduces a terrible bug that breaks something or deletes your files. If it is optional to update Windows to get Scanline Sync to work, I would rather not do it.

The GPU I have is a GTX970.

Any help getting it to work would be greatly appreciated.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: [Help] Can't get Scanline Sync to work

Post by RealNC » 12 Apr 2019, 03:20

Diconnect the vive, switch to a non-custom resolution, and see if that works first. Also, make sure the RTSS frame limiter is set to 0, and that the scanline sync button is not in the "x*2" state.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

RXDimA

Post by RXDimA » 16 Apr 2019, 14:26

Disconnecting the Vive and removing the custom resolution did not help. I also made sure the Scanline Sync button was not in any special state.

I got it working though: SyncTimeout=0 was missing in the global profile, and once I added that, Scanline Sync started to work.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Apr 2019, 14:57

General tips:
- Make sure game's framerate is darn nearly permanently above refresh rate
- Make sure you're on VSYNC OFF
- Disable laptop power management (100% full performance)
- Test with very large scanline offsets temporarily (Even 500)
- Test using horizontal motion (strafing, turning, panning, etc) to make the tearline appear.

It should be working without SyncTimeout=0 setting in the global profile, maybe that now needs to be reported to Guru3D that a missing SyncTimeout is causing an issue.

Vive shouldn't be interfering with RTSS Scanline Sync on a primary monitor. (I have an Oculus Rift).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!