Lagg below 120FPS

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
yungracks

Lagg below 120FPS

Post by yungracks » 24 May 2019, 15:00

Hey,
I got this problems for ages, and to say upfront i tried new monitors & pcs DIDNT fix it.

My problem:
In every game pretty much (i mainly play Fortnite), as soon as i drop below 120FPS i start to lagg, basically unplayable, i get everything expect screentearing, i get input lag, stutters, etc.

Current pc: i7 7700k, 1080ti, 16gb, 240gb ssd, 480gb hdd, 650w psu,
Monitors: acer predator xb241hbmpir (144hz, oc 180hz) , optix mag241c (144hz)

What could this possible be? I got 0 ping most of the time (good internet, live close to server).
Re-installed windows, drivers etc.

Also, i bought the predator to get gsync, i got gsync on, vsync off on ncp & -3 capped ingame.
Doesn't change anything, feels as bad as without.

My nvidia control panel settings:
https://prnt.sc/nsz0l8
https://prnt.sc/nsz0ws
https://prnt.sc/nsz11f
https://prnt.sc/nsz17o

Im really clueless, because this is SUPER annoying and ruining my competitive Fortnite experience.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Lagg below 120FPS

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 May 2019, 15:50

You did the right tweaks for the other latency sources, so that boils down to:

-- Frametime lag. It's a permanent function of your framerate. 100fps means 1/100sec rendering lag per frame. Law of physics means framerate has a permanent frametime lag attached to it. Lower framerate = more time to render frames = more lag from input to screen. No way to fix except to raise frame rate any method you are able to.

-- Network lag. Your latency may be handicapped by network lag. Test two different kinds of Internet connections, like cable versus DSL. Subscribe to both connections simultaneously so you can A/B test the connections. Latency surges are pretty bad on some connections, especially cable. An important metric is "loaded ping" -- one example is to go to http://www.fast.com then click "Show more info" then watch the Loaded ping. If your unloaded ping is 10ms and your loaded ping is 60ms, that 50ms ping jitter can hurt your Fortnite game. This test is imperfect, but it can be a useful troubleshoot.

Now, check out that NVIDIA Study. They used crowdsourcing (thousands of GeForce Experience data reports) to accumulate this data.

After that, the best thing you can do is to try to optimize the hell out of the rest of your system.
-- Upgrade your GPU to RTX 2080 Ti. This will reduce frametime lag.
-- Upgrade your monitor to 240Hz.
-- Add a water cooler to your 7700 and overclock it a bit
-- Test another gaming mouse too, there's a surprisingly huge difference in lag between different gaming mice.

Remember, that nonoverclocked 180Hz looks clearer (less blurry = less laggy) than overclocked 180Hz. It won't solve all frametime problems but the 240Hz will significantly improve lagfeel including lower frame rates, thanks to the fast scan velocity (1/240sec refresh cycles even for lower frame rates).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 24 May 2019, 17:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You did the right tweaks for the other latency sources, so that boils down to:

-- Frametime lag. It's a permanent function of your framerate. 100fps means 1/100sec rendering lag per frame. Law of physics means framerate has a permanent frametime lag attached to it. Lower framerate = more time to render frames = more lag from input to screen. No way to fix except to raise frame rate any method you are able to.

-- Network lag. Your latency may be handicapped by network lag. Test two different kinds of Internet connections, like cable versus DSL. Subscribe to both connections simultaneously so you can A/B test the connections. Latency surges are pretty bad on some connections, especially cable. An important metric is "loaded ping" -- one example is to go to http://www.fast.com then click "Show more info" then watch the Loaded ping. If your unloaded ping is 10ms and your loaded ping is 60ms, that 50ms ping jitter can hurt your Fortnite game. This test is imperfect, but it can be a useful troubleshoot.

Now, check out that NVIDIA Study. They used crowdsourcing (thousands of GeForce Experience data reports) to accumulate this data.

After that, the best thing you can do is to try to optimize the hell out of the rest of your system.
-- Upgrade your GPU to RTX 2080 Ti. This will reduce frametime lag.
-- Upgrade your monitor to 240Hz.
-- Add a water cooler to your 7700 and overclock it a bit
-- Test another gaming mouse too, there's a surprisingly huge difference in lag between different gaming mice.

Remember, that nonoverclocked 180Hz looks clearer (less blurry = less laggy) than overclocked 180Hz. It won't solve all frametime problems but the 240Hz will significantly improve lagfeel including lower frame rates, thanks to the fast scan velocity (1/240sec refresh cycles even for lower frame rates).
Thanks, i orded the glorious O coming mid june.
GPU isnt it, had it on my old pc 1060 > 1080 ti
Monitor isnt it, had 144hz > 180hz now
Cooler could be it, but i had problem on old pc too, good temps
Ill try mouse, thanks!

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 25 May 2019, 07:25

Anyone knows/?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2019, 11:52

yungracks wrote:Anyone knows/?
There's hundreds of reasons why a system may be crappy in lag --

Sometimes it's just the game and cannot be fixed.

But if you have lots of time, check out this thread -- and run LatencyMon.exe
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 25 May 2019, 14:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
yungracks wrote:Anyone knows/?
There's hundreds of reasons why a system may be crappy in lag --

Sometimes it's just the game and cannot be fixed.

But if you have lots of time, check out this thread -- and run LatencyMon.exe
Where can i find latencymon and how do i use it?
Im glad to try it out can't find it on the thread.