internet latency & effects on hit registration

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
victor910

Re: internet latency & effects on hit registration

Post by victor910 » 22 Mar 2021, 03:34

n1zoo wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 18:18
I know a little bit what could cause this, but i need to do more research.
what actually you know, maybe we will research together?

rene95

Post by rene95 » 23 Mar 2021, 11:24

nick4567 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 17:15
for those of you with shitty dsl lines in rural areas starlink is rolling out
Don´t u have a high ping on these satelite connections?

Will an outdoor antenna be necessary?

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 23 Mar 2021, 15:47

Everyone, goo call youre ISP and order a "line reset" soo the DLM System getting resetet and youre are able to play for a few hours without delay. i dont know why but it works. goo check it out, after i did it, my hitreg was on point and i was dominating everything. gooo annoy the shit out of your ISP, goo and call them every day and order its. Its not the solution but atleast a temp solution

djoni

Post by djoni » 23 Mar 2021, 16:11

Unreazz wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:47
Everyone, goo call youre ISP and order a "line reset" soo the DLM System getting resetet and youre are able to play for a few hours without delay. i dont know why but it works. goo check it out, after i did it, my hitreg was on point and i was dominating everything. gooo annoy the shit out of your ISP, goo and call them every day and order its. Its not the solution but atleast a temp solution
It depends how long it will last. What you've done is line restart, and after that you have no error correction until there aren't issues with your line like noise or loss. The issues will come back sooner or later just because you have DLM on your line. Whenever your line has noise or is just busy then the interleaving will be turned back on. The only solution is to find an ISP with good fiber internet.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 23 Mar 2021, 16:27

djoni wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 16:11
Unreazz wrote:
It depends how long it will last. What you've done is line restart, and after that you have no error correction until there aren't issues with your line like noise or loss. The issues will come back sooner or later just because you have DLM on your line. Whenever your line has noise or is just busy then the interleaving will be turned back on. The only solution is to find an ISP with good fiber internet.
Sure man, but what are you doing when fiber is not avaible on youre location ?

djoni

Post by djoni » 23 Mar 2021, 16:40

Unreazz wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 16:27
djoni wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 16:11
Unreazz wrote:
Sure man, but what are you doing when fiber is not avaible on youre location ?
Idk really, I am in the same position as u and just waiting until my contract is over. Then the great searching for ISP starts again. This time no DSL for sure. The best you can do is to ask them to switch your line on fast path if it's possible. It will lower your latency and remove the error correction. My ISP refused, and I wrote and called them like hundred times for a single week. The answer was that there is nothing they can do and that my line is stable, they didn't guarantee for low ping and no error correction on my line in the contract, hahahaha. :) And I don't really know why, because my line is stable like a rock, paying for 50/10, receiving 80/15. I am also 10 meters away from their switch and I have no noise on my line. They simply answered no and didn't even bother to reset my line.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2021, 00:23

rene95 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:24
nick4567 wrote:

Starlink is amazingly low latency for satellite Internet. They're low-altitude satellites, not geo satellites.

20x less latency than other satellite Internet! While more latency than FTTH, it has less latency than many crappy DSL connections

Starlink now comes highly recommended if you're in a rural area. Gaming is bearable on Starlink, but it's location dependant.

Starlink uses low-altitude satellites with phased array flat dishes.

Starlink uses a hybrid mechanical+electronic steering system with a phased array antennas -- similar tech used by fighter jets.

Basically its automatic mechanical steering is only needed occasionally to aim approximately at the part of the sky with moving satellites. Then within the phased array cone (yellow circle) it can instantly electronically steer to connect automatically to multiple satellites at the same time for seamless handover of those fast-moving low-altitude Internet satellites only 20ms ping roundtrip to the nearest Internet backbone from your off-grid gaming station.

It is plug-and-play. No installer needed. No pointing needed. It is outdoor setup but you just slap it on the ground and it has an automatic setup, with an automatic motor to aim approximately at the best area of the sky with the most satellites. Only 15 minutes to setup, it includes a 100 foot waterproof Ethernet cable already attached to the dish.

If you are stuck with satellite, then Starlink is the luxury creme-de-a-creme of the best satellite Internet, about 100x faster than competing satellite Internet options. And 20x less latency than competing satellite options. Get Starlink ASAP if you're living in a rural offgrid cabin.

Highly recommended as the luxury Ferrari of Satellite Internet. Up to 400 megabits per second down to as low as 20ms ping!

Though ping does spike higher sometimes, like 40-50ms, I've seen way worse landlines before. And sometimes you do have occasional periods of packet loss -- they are still building the network out, but they've already launched over 1000 satellites.

For satellite, Starlink is quite zoom-zoom. Not perfect, but if you are stuck way out in the boonies with no options, then Starlink can make things a lot more bearable.

Be warned, it's still brand new, beta, and they're still launching satellites by the dozens (60 per launch to be exact), they want to put more than 12,000 satellites in orbit, and right now there's only just above 1,000 live Starlink satellites currently in orbit -- quite a lot compared to competing satellite Internet options though!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 24 Mar 2021, 19:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 00:23
rene95 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:24
nick4567 wrote:

Starlink is amazingly low latency for satellite Internet. They're low-altitude satellites, not geo satellites.

20x less latency than other satellite Internet! While more latency than FTTH, it has less latency than many crappy DSL connections

Starlink now comes highly recommended if you're in a rural area. Gaming is bearable on Starlink, but it's location dependant.

Starlink uses low-altitude satellites with phased array flat dishes.

Starlink uses a hybrid mechanical+electronic steering system with a phased array antennas -- similar tech used by fighter jets.

Basically its automatic mechanical steering is only needed occasionally to aim approximately at the part of the sky with moving satellites. Then within the phased array cone (yellow circle) it can instantly electronically steer to connect automatically to multiple satellites at the same time for seamless handover of those fast-moving low-altitude Internet satellites only 20ms ping roundtrip to the nearest Internet backbone from your off-grid gaming station.

It is plug-and-play. No installer needed. No pointing needed. It is outdoor setup but you just slap it on the ground and it has an automatic setup, with an automatic motor to aim approximately at the best area of the sky with the most satellites. Only 15 minutes to setup, it includes a 100 foot waterproof Ethernet cable already attached to the dish.

If you are stuck with satellite, then Starlink is the luxury creme-de-a-creme of the best satellite Internet, about 100x faster than competing satellite Internet options. And 20x less latency than competing satellite options. Get Starlink ASAP if you're living in a rural offgrid cabin.

Highly recommended as the luxury Ferrari of Satellite Internet. Up to 400 megabits per second down to as low as 20ms ping!

Though ping does spike higher sometimes, like 40-50ms, I've seen way worse landlines before. And sometimes you do have occasional periods of packet loss -- they are still building the network out, but they've already launched over 1000 satellites.

For satellite, Starlink is quite zoom-zoom. Not perfect, but if you are stuck way out in the boonies with no options, then Starlink can make things a lot more bearable.

Be warned, it's still brand new, beta, and they're still launching satellites by the dozens (60 per launch to be exact), they want to put more than 12,000 satellites in orbit, and right now there's only just above 1,000 live Starlink satellites currently in orbit -- quite a lot compared to competing satellite Internet options though!
hit the nail with this one chief and it might even be superior to cable connections as far as gaming is concerned only time will tell i did see elon referring to wanting to make an optimal experience for gamers with starlink on twitter

heavywe

Post by heavywe » 29 Mar 2021, 11:48

I think I found the cause of my input lag at 99%. And yes, what causes me the input lag is a network cable that I bought about 5 years ago, it is a cat5e UTP network cable. At the moment I am using my smartphone and sharing the internet through the USB cable. And let me tell you, I no longer feel half-second freezes, and no input lag. Bullets in CS: GO come out more fluid. Bad point is that the connection is very unstable over WIFI.

I have been testing this for 3 days, and yes, in the 3 days I have felt the games as I have not felt them in years.

victor910

Post by victor910 » 29 Mar 2021, 19:14

the most affected gameplay experience is jitter, this will say for you any game developer or network engineer.
I see 6ms jitter at starlink speed test, this type of network connection is garbage for network multiplayer, in summary with 50ms delay, you will mad I am guarantee.