internet latency & effects on hit registration

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Alpha

Re: internet latency & effects on hit registration

Post by Alpha » 26 Jun 2021, 21:55

Surely people in here are coming to understand that some Game Developers and Publishers are nerfing players real time in what their patents refer to things like Engagement Based Match Making. Can't make this disaster up. Johnny Six Pack typically plays 3 games a night some times buys skins has a .5 KD. If he wins though, he may play another 2 - 3 games and if he's vibing... may just buy a new gun skin. The roaches love this dude. Meanwhile, TTV nerd Mom's Basement I smell of Sweat and Pimples rolls up on him with a 2.0 KD and the game will literally nerf TTV Nerd real time while enhancing Johnny Six Pack. Literally, getting added health\dealing more damage with equal weapons, getting that boost in aim\hit boxes reg. They argue that for every fragger going HAM in a lobby 6 casuals quit playing (no idea the depth of this rather its for the "day" or what). That's less skins and what not for sales. They know pimple nerd sweat plays 10 hours straight streaming to 0 viewers and they'll be back.

This is the new world. Doesn't matter what type of packet prioritization you have, rather you're running static routes or VPN's for easier lobbies its all about the hundreds of millions of dollar bonus's to CEO and board members getting that stock value met.

victor910

Post by victor910 » 27 Jun 2021, 03:01

I type about this more than 10 years ago at the old steampowered forum, but the post was ignored completely.
Every AAA game today have this system, for keep it players in-game.
But remember Valve with CS was the first who implemented this system, another company just copy the "idea".

Dzekson22

Post by Dzekson22 » 27 Jun 2021, 12:23

i have the same problem desync in game
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Dzekson22 on 02 Jul 2021, 01:59, edited 2 times in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Jun 2021, 06:58

wadge wrote: ...
yonaxsangi wrote: ...
n1zoo wrote: ...
I deleted the zero content posts that only contain insults. Please keep it civil. Don't resort to name calling but also don't accuse people of being trolls just because their theories look like nonsense to you. We don't want this forum to become a trash pit of people cursing at each other.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

oldschool007

Post by oldschool007 » 06 Jul 2021, 18:17

no it is always the same regardless of the time. It has nothing to do with the workload.

It may well be that you get easier lobbies with ingame purchases but because of that you do not have a worse hit reg or a delay. If it were so I can bypass with purchases or a new account something like that, but that is never the case.

I am 100% sure that data packages are delayed or lost altogether. In the video of Dzekson22 I see exactly my gaming experience again. I play other games but it looks the same. Opponents have inhuman reflexes and just 0.5 sec delay.
The provider changes something on the line to have a stable internet for all other users (error correction, DLM) and that brings the problem.

in my place only VDSL is possible and it does not matter which provider I use, the routing is different and the ping, this delay remains because it is the same infrastructure and the provider who owns the line will always have these tools running. I think that even FTTH does not solve the problem, then I have more bandwidth but it is the same main cable and other users and the error correction runs for all. From my point of view only chance with a leased line, Qos profiles and packet prioritization or move until you get lucky but that is stressful.

BigBoi

Post by BigBoi » 07 Jul 2021, 11:39

After Reading this thread i wanted to share my view on this topic. I have had cable internet for about 8 years and have been dealing with some of the issues that people have been explaining here, opponents having insane reaction times, enemy player models moving incredibly fast, feeling that i am constantly de-synced with the server, etc. Yesterday i decided to test my mobile LTE internet over USB tethering on my computer and to no surprise i was able to tell a difference. I was suddenly able to land flicks and bunnyhop much more consistently as well as my deaths being less bullshit-y than they usually were on cable. To me it doesn't seem to make sense that my mobile data provides a much better online experience than my supposed "perfect", low ping, A bufferbloat rating and 4-5 ms jitter cable connection compared to the former higher ping, bad bufferbloat rating and higher jitter connection. The tests were done on CS:Source on the exact same server. I actually can't wait to find another job so that i can start living on my own in a place with FTTH internet.

pwn

Post by pwn » 07 Jul 2021, 13:41

I had thoughts on this
ping command or ping in the game, these are ICMP packets
games are udp packages.
It is believed that udp packets are somehow deliberately slowed down may be associated with torrents

but my knowledge is not enough

wadge

Post by wadge » 07 Jul 2021, 22:59

Is there a way to tunnel udp packets send from your pc ? By that i mean to make udp packets look like its an other protocol so isp might not slow them down :?:

slaver01

Post by slaver01 » 08 Jul 2021, 02:45

wadge wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 22:59
Is there a way to tunnel udp packets send from your pc ? By that i mean to make udp packets look like its an other protocol so isp might not slow them down :?:
You try to use exitlag. You can decide to send only tcp packets and it works. but the ping is higher because the tcp packets have verification confirmation While udp do not have verification confirmation.

mello

Post by mello » 08 Jul 2021, 05:49

oldschool007 wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 18:17
I am 100% sure that data packages are delayed or lost altogether. In the video of Dzekson22 I see exactly my gaming experience again. I play other games but it looks the same. Opponents have inhuman reflexes and just 0.5 sec delay.
The provider changes something on the line to have a stable internet for all other users (error correction, DLM) and that brings the problem.
Correct. Whatever this is, it is a man-made artifact caused directly and deliberately by the ISP's themselves. Unfortunately it affects gaming packets by accident.
BigBoi wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 11:39
After Reading this thread i wanted to share my view on this topic. I have had cable internet for about 8 years and have been dealing with some of the issues that people have been explaining here, opponents having insane reaction times, enemy player models moving incredibly fast, feeling that i am constantly de-synced with the server, etc. Yesterday i decided to test my mobile LTE internet over USB tethering on my computer and to no surprise i was able to tell a difference. I was suddenly able to land flicks and bunnyhop much more consistently as well as my deaths being less bullshit-y than they usually were on cable. To me it doesn't seem to make sense that my mobile data provides a much better online experience than my supposed "perfect", low ping, A bufferbloat rating and 4-5 ms jitter cable connection compared to the former higher ping, bad bufferbloat rating and higher jitter connection. The tests were done on CS:Source on the exact same server.
Mobile and wired connections have different infrastructure and are tailored for different needs, uses & audiences. This is why LTE is not affected by this problem at all or to the same degree as certain wired connections are.
pwn wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 13:41
I had thoughts on this
ping command or ping in the game, these are ICMP packets
games are udp packages.
It is believed that udp packets are somehow deliberately slowed down may be associated with torrents
Finally some new information ! I always wondered what has changed over the years and why this problem appeared out of nowhere. Always assumed it was due to availability and popularization of the internet, meaning more people having it at home, growing number of users etc. This in return has simply lead to network congestion and then mitigation measures were developed and implemented by ISP's themselves to counter this effect. But what you just said might explain why this is happening and other phenomena that people are observing. There is a possibility that this problem is caused by anti-torrenting measures which were developed to increase stabilization of the network for all users. Timing also fits, because i noticed this problem around ~2004 IIRC. This would also explain why some people notice that gaming can be fine / much better for the first ~30 minutes (sometimes, not always) and after that it all goes to shit again. If UDP packet flow is being detected periodically (in time intervals) and it is incorrectly assumed to be torrent activity, then what certain ISP's are using (to slow it down, so it doesn't affect and destabilize the network) is basically a side-effect which destroys the gaming experience for all the people who are affected by it. It also makes sense why LTE / mobile is not affected by this, simply because people are not using torrents / p2p software on mobile, which is relatively slow and has data limits on top of that. What you said i call a breakthrough (if correct) into pinpointing the source and culprit of all these problems.