internet latency & effects on hit registration

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
f1ndus

Re: internet latency & effects on hit registration

Post by f1ndus » 24 May 2021, 14:39

wadge wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:35
Does anyone tried a double conversion ups (pure sine wave) ? not a line interactive or standby ups
yes of course, many of us using that, but it nothing changed

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 25 May 2021, 03:38

I don't know if anyone tried this but please do.

Keep your phone connected to the cable modem's WiFi (5GHz only) and share it with the PC through a USB cable.
Don't use your mobile company.
If input lag is reduced and things improve, please report. The problem could be the motherboard's integrated ethernet.

Also change this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
NetworkThrottlingIndex key to ffffffff, hexadecimal value. (default is decimal 10)
SystemResponsiveness key to 10, decimal value. (default is decimal 20)

Change all devices to MSI interrupt mode.
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windo ... ol.378044/

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 25 May 2021, 06:29

MatrixQW wrote:
25 May 2021, 03:38
I don't know if anyone tried this but please do.

Keep your phone connected to the cable modem's WiFi (5GHz only) and share it with the PC through a USB cable.
Don't use your mobile company.
If input lag is reduced and things improve, please report. The problem could be the motherboard's integrated ethernet.

Also change this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
NetworkThrottlingIndex key to ffffffff, hexadecimal value. (default is decimal 10)
SystemResponsiveness key to 10, decimal value. (default is decimal 20)

Change all devices to MSI interrupt mode.
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windo ... ol.378044/
Tried this thousand years ago and ofc no improvements

oenay

Post by oenay » 25 May 2021, 11:11

I have exactly same problem, i went from telekom to 1und1 in germany. i called so many times isp technican service, but they are bad. No one want to help me. Now im callin again right now. He wants to make a port reset. They done this so many times. Game like 60hz, like 200 ping. Recoil not controlable, when spraying i hit 0 damage 0 hits. when i move with gun in hand im so slow?!?! I play cs go. I was level 10 on face it. 2700 elo. Now im level 9, lost 800 elo. Its like i lost my skill. When my internet is good i hit everything and all call me cheater. yeah cheater because i hit nothing months, when i hit, i hit good because game gets easier to play! Now i must stay 2 years again. I dont know if its like because of this corona, everyone at home, internet load to much! I dont even want to open game again, so frustrated. No tweaks working, its for nothing. sorry for my bad english!! :)

Silverkuki

Post by Silverkuki » 25 May 2021, 22:49

losxer wrote:
21 May 2021, 17:09

Yo dude, same here, people think Is Electricity.. so i think we cant figure out of this shit, maybie Need more 10 years.. when ur 1% in shooting game what type of internet do u use? And more important question, when u get this problem Is Way After u switch isp or tecnology?
I'm not knowledgeable enough in the field to even hazard a guess about electricity or whatever it may be causing it. Mello has posited a very logical explanation here (and the best guess I've ever heard for the issue) that mirrors all my own experiences so I'm inclined to believe he's more right than wrong at this stage.

I'm currently using a DSL connection (the best I've ever experienced, still garbage), though I've held similar ranks on different DSL and Cable connections. The problems have pretty much been there since day 1 for each internet package, although there was a noticeable degradation of the cable connection in the final two month before I switched. Beyond that, my guess is as time passed and the ISPs technology caught up, it became better in my area? Honestly, I have no idea, because the issues still persist just to a slightly more bearable level. If I had to rank the severity of the issues it would be:

In order of worst severity to most bearable: 5Mbps/1Mbps DSL > 10Mbps/1Mbps Cable >> 500Mbps/10Mbps Cable >>>>>>>>>>> 100Mbps/10Mbps DSL (which is also the chronological order in which I used them).

I have a friend about an hour away using the same ISP with a brand new FTTH 1 GB symmetrical connection that I can't wait to try out, but COVID has really put a wrench in that plan. Whenever it does happen, I'll report back to see if I noticed a difference.

losxer

Post by losxer » 29 May 2021, 07:03

oenay wrote:
25 May 2021, 11:11
I have exactly same problem, i went from telekom to 1und1 in germany. i called so many times isp technican service, but they are bad. No one want to help me. Now im callin again right now. He wants to make a port reset. They done this so many times. Game like 60hz, like 200 ping. Recoil not controlable, when spraying i hit 0 damage 0 hits. when i move with gun in hand im so slow?!?! I play cs go. I was level 10 on face it. 2700 elo. Now im level 9, lost 800 elo. Its like i lost my skill. When my internet is good i hit everything and all call me cheater. yeah cheater because i hit nothing months, when i hit, i hit good because game gets easier to play! Now i must stay 2 years again. I dont know if its like because of this corona, everyone at home, internet load to much! I dont even want to open game again, so frustrated. No tweaks working, its for nothing. sorry for my bad english!! :)
Yes dude, same problem, and Is not for corona, i get this problem when i switch isp and tecnology to vdsl -> fiber , game Is like 60 hz ( even if i have monitor 240hz i cant see like before ) and ping look like 200 ( even if Is 30 ) , im slow in every game , Is not only input Lag, im really more slow to rotate camera also. Call isp cant help you trust me, the only Way u can do Is switch back to your old ISP maybie u get lucky

wadge

Post by wadge » 29 May 2021, 08:02

I just tried a double conversion online ups to get the best power possible but it didnt make a difference (maybe a bit smoother) but it didnt help people appear to still have an advantage over me, more time to react than me...

The next step would be to test an internet business plan with udp priorization, like voip is also using udp packets

losxer

Post by losxer » 29 May 2021, 09:49

wadge wrote:
29 May 2021, 08:02
I just tried a double conversion online ups to get the best power possible but it didnt make a difference (maybe a bit smoother) but it didnt help people appear to still have an advantage over me, more time to react than me...

The next step would be to test an internet business plan with udp priorization, like voip is also using udp packets
Good luck dude, your problem Whit ppl have more advantage over you Is 110% internet, dont trust Who Say Is Electricity, he dont know.

oldschool007

Post by oldschool007 » 26 Jun 2021, 19:16

wadge wrote:

is this a dedicated line? in my country, packet prioritization is only possible for leased lines.

i have tested as much as you have. changing providers has not changed anything for me, because it is always the same line and infrastructure.
I am 99% sure that it is the error correction or a special profile that the provider switches to my line. I was able to play the first day without delay and the hit registration was almost perfect. i could run faster in cod warzone ingame, everything ran fast and smooth. my weapons had an incredible time to kill.
In the night there was the 24 hour disconnect and since then my VDSL line was delayed when playing and the hit registration was just garbage.

I moved 4 weeks ago because I bought an apartment and I had exactly the same phenomenon here too. VDSL booked, the 1st day all games ran perfectly and after the 24 hour disconnect everything was broken.

I'm not sure but I always play cs 1.6 to test and I noticed the first day something very curious in the netgraph. My ping jumped only about every half second from e.g. 24 ms to 28 ms, then again 0.5 sec pause and then again.
From the 2nd day the ping ran continuously, so 24,23,22,25ms without a short break in between.
I am not a technician but for me this is a sign that the error correction splits the data packets into smaller packets and sends many small packets to resend them in case of emergency. That's why the ping in the netgraph runs continuously like a stopwatch, the server responds with the ping.
The first day the error correction was not so aggressive or less active and sent the data packets completely and therefore everything in the gameplay was not delayed. I'm not 100% sure but I'm not imagining it.
I can see the serverip on cs 1.6 and it was the same server. The one day perfect recoil and I could kill enemies on aimmaps with 2-3 m4 shots and almost LAN feeling. The second day the recoil was hard to control, the AWP zoom came out a fraction of a second later etc. You just notice it immediately as an experienced player.
In the forum of my provider I could read that the provider does not want to prefer any line and all users on the main cable should have the same constant line. I think therefore that it is the error correction or something similar which changes values or loads profiles in the background.
DLM/Assia I would not see as a problem because it only looks once a day (at night) how many errors the line has and in case of need adjusts the speed to run constantly.

I'm also testing a business line with packet prioritization, QoS profiles and hopefully no activated error correction in the next weeks. I am still in the process of finding out whether error correction is enabled at all on a leased line that is connected directly to the backbone. It's not a dial-up connection and not a shared medium. It drives you crazy that you can't play reasonably with normal internet lines.

i don't believe in the electricity theory either. there will definitely be cases where the error occurs but then you will feel it offline. You can download cs 1.6 and play against bots and then you will be able to rule it out very quickly.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 26 Jun 2021, 21:40

oldschool007 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:16
wadge wrote:

is this a dedicated line? in my country, packet prioritization is only possible for leased lines.

i have tested as much as you have. changing providers has not changed anything for me, because it is always the same line and infrastructure.
I am 99% sure that it is the error correction or a special profile that the provider switches to my line. I was able to play the first day without delay and the hit registration was almost perfect. i could run faster in cod warzone ingame, everything ran fast and smooth. my weapons had an incredible time to kill.
In the night there was the 24 hour disconnect and since then my VDSL line was delayed when playing and the hit registration was just garbage.

I moved 4 weeks ago because I bought an apartment and I had exactly the same phenomenon here too. VDSL booked, the 1st day all games ran perfectly and after the 24 hour disconnect everything was broken.

I'm not sure but I always play cs 1.6 to test and I noticed the first day something very curious in the netgraph. My ping jumped only about every half second from e.g. 24 ms to 28 ms, then again 0.5 sec pause and then again.
From the 2nd day the ping ran continuously, so 24,23,22,25ms without a short break in between.
I am not a technician but for me this is a sign that the error correction splits the data packets into smaller packets and sends many small packets to resend them in case of emergency. That's why the ping in the netgraph runs continuously like a stopwatch, the server responds with the ping.
The first day the error correction was not so aggressive or less active and sent the data packets completely and therefore everything in the gameplay was not delayed. I'm not 100% sure but I'm not imagining it.
I can see the serverip on cs 1.6 and it was the same server. The one day perfect recoil and I could kill enemies on aimmaps with 2-3 m4 shots and almost LAN feeling. The second day the recoil was hard to control, the AWP zoom came out a fraction of a second later etc. You just notice it immediately as an experienced player.
In the forum of my provider I could read that the provider does not want to prefer any line and all users on the main cable should have the same constant line. I think therefore that it is the error correction or something similar which changes values or loads profiles in the background.
DLM/Assia I would not see as a problem because it only looks once a day (at night) how many errors the line has and in case of need adjusts the speed to run constantly.

I'm also testing a business line with packet prioritization, QoS profiles and hopefully no activated error correction in the next weeks. I am still in the process of finding out whether error correction is enabled at all on a leased line that is connected directly to the backbone. It's not a dial-up connection and not a shared medium. It drives you crazy that you can't play reasonably with normal internet lines.

i don't believe in the electricity theory either. there will definitely be cases where the error occurs but then you will feel it offline. You can download cs 1.6 and play against bots and then you will be able to rule it out very quickly.
Have you noticed that this is worse on a certain date or time? For example, Friday in the evening its worse. Sunday in the evening its back to performing well.