internet latency & effects on hit registration

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
wadge

Re: internet latency & effects on hit registration

Post by wadge » 15 Jul 2021, 02:53

oldschool007 wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 18:44
according to my information there will never be packet prioritization on a dial-up connection like vdsl/ftth. i can say that for germany. Also it is not possible to turn off error correction or DLM/Assia.

it is probably only possible with a leased line or dedicated lines.
It is impossible to maintain quality standards or SLA's on a shared line. Everything is shared no matter if vdsl, ftth or cable internet. From my point of view the error correction is the culprit. Maybe the own line runs well and has few errors but on the main cable to the PoP are hundreds of other customers with lots of traffic etc.

I am trying a leased line with 4 mbit, direct connection to the backbone with packet prioritization from the 20th of july. If that doesn't work then i'm out :)

i think unfortunately until starlink works extensively it will still take. my feeling tells me but that it will not be optimal for gaming but i like to be convinced of the opposite.

Well i'm very curious to get your review of the leased line ! How much does it cost per month ? (which country ?)

Starlink is still not optimal from what i heard coz there is not enough satelite for the moment maybe 2000 when they plan on 45000... so for now the stability might not be great

oldschool007

Post by oldschool007 » 15 Jul 2021, 04:44

wadge wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 02:53
oldschool007 wrote:
according to my information there will never be packet prioritization on a dial-up connection like vdsl/ftth. i can say that for germany. Also it is not possible to turn off error correction or DLM/Assia.

It is impossible to maintain quality standards or SLA's on a shared line. Everything is shared no matter if vdsl, ftth or cable internet. From my point of view the error correction is the culprit. Maybe the own line runs well and has few errors but on the main cable to the PoP are hundreds of other customers with lots of traffic etc.

I am trying a leased line with 4 mbit, direct connection to the backbone with packet prioritization from the 20th of july. If that doesn't work then i'm out :)

i think unfortunately until starlink works extensively it will still take. my feeling tells me but that it will not be optimal for gaming but i like to be convinced of the opposite.

Well i'm very curious to get your review of the leased line ! How much does it cost per month ? (which country ?)

Starlink is still not optimal from what i heard coz there is not enough satelite for the moment maybe 2000 when they plan on 45000... so for now the stability might not be great
it's in germany. One-time setup fee is about 950 dollars (800 euros) + monthly it costs 276 dollars (233 euros) for 4 mbit, which would be enough for gaming.
The price is really high, unfortunately, generally mobile and Internet is expensive compared to other countries.
It is also sick that we live in a world with such technical progress and book a leased line to play, but I want to try the last option after all the testing and research.
Technically there is nothing better and unfortunately I have no alternative here. 2 mbit would also be possible but I'm not 100% sure if that's enough for gaming. Of course 10, 20, 50 or 1.000, 10.000 mbit would be possible but I can't and don't want to pay that for a hobbie.
2 mbit would cost around 140 dollars (120 euros). If I consider that I pay 77 dollars per month for VDSL 250 mbit and only double that for the best possible quality, then that is acceptable. But I still need a 50, 100 or 250 mbit connection in parallel for netflix, downloads, etc..

All a lot of money and no certainty that it works. For me personally it would be fine if you work a lot and then in the free time to pursue a hobby without handicap.
I don't want to give up either and it's not in my nature and the frustration of playing with 0.5 sec delay and bad highreg is also pointless.
You spend so much money on the best hardware which is useless in my view in relation to a perfect internet connection. I would rather have a perfect internet line and a garbage pc with 60 hz and 50 fps than a top pc and a junk line.

wadge

Post by wadge » 15 Jul 2021, 06:33

oldschool007 wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 04:44
wadge wrote:
oldschool007 wrote:

it's in germany. One-time setup fee is about 950 dollars (800 euros) + monthly it costs 276 dollars (233 euros) for 4 mbit, which would be enough for gaming.
The price is really high, unfortunately, generally mobile and Internet is expensive compared to other countries.
It is also sick that we live in a world with such technical progress and book a leased line to play, but I want to try the last option after all the testing and research.
Technically there is nothing better and unfortunately I have no alternative here. 2 mbit would also be possible but I'm not 100% sure if that's enough for gaming. Of course 10, 20, 50 or 1.000, 10.000 mbit would be possible but I can't and don't want to pay that for a hobbie.
2 mbit would cost around 140 dollars (120 euros). If I consider that I pay 77 dollars per month for VDSL 250 mbit and only double that for the best possible quality, then that is acceptable. But I still need a 50, 100 or 250 mbit connection in parallel for netflix, downloads, etc..

All a lot of money and no certainty that it works. For me personally it would be fine if you work a lot and then in the free time to pursue a hobby without handicap.
I don't want to give up either and it's not in my nature and the frustration of playing with 0.5 sec delay and bad highreg is also pointless.
You spend so much money on the best hardware which is useless in my view in relation to a perfect internet connection. I would rather have a perfect internet line and a garbage pc with 60 hz and 50 fps than a top pc and a junk line.
I feel you 100% on what you're saying, same boat here...
I've got a pretty high end pc : i9 10850k, z490 master, rtx 3080, 16gb 4400Mhz cl19 but this doesnt help with the issue i'm facing even with all the tweaks applied.

Do you need to have a compagny number in order to purchased a leased line in Germany ? because i leave in France and from what i found its only for professionnal use... and for the price its almost the same as you mentionned

But whats triggering me is that you are already on vdsl so that means you are close to the PoP already...

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 15 Jul 2021, 09:27

wadge wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 06:33
oldschool007 wrote:
wadge wrote:
oldschool007 wrote:

I feel you 100% on what you're saying, same boat here...
I've got a pretty high end pc : i9 10850k, z490 master, rtx 3080, 16gb 4400Mhz cl19 but this doesnt help with the issue i'm facing even with all the tweaks applied.

Do you need to have a compagny number in order to purchased a leased line in Germany ? because i leave in France and from what i found its only for professionnal use... and for the price its almost the same as you mentionned

But whats triggering me is that you are already on vdsl so that means you are close to the PoP already...
Its basically a line which only companys book so yes it is, in germany you need a ownership license to order this, otherwise you dont get it and no one knows if its even help but atleast you have the possibility on that line for some priority profile which they should guarantee you low packet delay. i dont know if error correction will run also on that line but since its youre own line without sharing with anyone, you should be able to disable such of those things

losxer

Post by losxer » 15 Jul 2021, 14:49

oldschool007 wrote:
wadge wrote:
oldschool007 wrote:

Nice dude, let us know how it goes

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 20 Jul 2021, 17:39

the best example of "god internet" for online gaming is, when you google "apb misery" and watch his gameplays. you can clearly see that his gameplay is smooth as fuck and he pwns everyone. this is how a perfect connection should be work and sadly this kind of shit is based on the internet or better told, the correct "place" where you living. if everybody arround the world has this kind of connection, we should had definitly more "global" players.

in this case "online gaming" is totally unfair since not everyone is playing with the same condition and those guys who are lucky enough to have a stable connection like this is having clearly a BIG advanted against other peoples except for the ones, who having the same kind of gameplay expierences.

so at the end of the day "skill" is not necessary at all. its all about youre internet and i can clearly telling you that they are more pro players out there if no one had issues likes this with totally desyncing gameplay

losxer

Post by losxer » 20 Jul 2021, 23:18

Unreazz wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 17:39
the best example of "god internet" for online gaming is, when you google "apb misery" and watch his gameplays. you can clearly see that his gameplay is smooth as fuck and he pwns everyone. this is how a perfect connection should be work and sadly this kind of shit is based on the internet or better told, the correct "place" where you living. if everybody arround the world has this kind of connection, we should had definitly more "global" players.

in this case "online gaming" is totally unfair since not everyone is playing with the same condition and those guys who are lucky enough to have a stable connection like this is having clearly a BIG advanted against other peoples except for the ones, who having the same kind of gameplay expierences.

so at the end of the day "skill" is not necessary at all. its all about youre internet and i can clearly telling you that they are more pro players out there if no one had issues likes this with totally desyncing gameplay
100% agree with this.
Having a stabile connection like this Is legal cheating, because you can do certain things that other people can't even imagine. Your brain work Better and you look like 200iq guy for the 90% of player.

wadge

Post by wadge » 21 Jul 2021, 08:16

Any updates on the leased line ?

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 21 Jul 2021, 13:54

oldschool007 wrote:
wadge wrote:
oldschool007 wrote:

any updates on the leased line with packet prioritization and no error correction?

oldschool007

Post by oldschool007 » 25 Jul 2021, 05:29

unfortunately, i can hardly see any difference. The ping is about half about 5-6 ms to google. The first few hours everything felt without delay but I now hardly notice a difference to vdsl.
According to my information it runs only FEC (forward error correction) but this is rarely active.
I ask if it is possible to turn it off but I don't think it is anymore.
The line runs completely over copper.
A buddy has upgraded ftth from 250 mbit to 1 gbit and there should be no fec. For him, the gameplay has changed positively.
It is an absolute mystery