internet latency & effects on hit registration

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
djoni

Re: internet latency & effects on hit registration

Post by djoni » 20 Mar 2021, 14:21

blackmagic wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 14:03
djoni wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 13:32
blackmagic wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 09:02
oldschool007 wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 19:17
he is not a troll. we know each other through forum and there were many problems with my leased line :) he had not caught the current update.
currently I got the leased line but on every server packet loss even if I just ping google. Let's see what is still coming here.
6 months waiting but is already dumb. ISP are very incompetent
here in germany it's same mess with the isp's and the incompetency has no limit and it all getting only more absurd...

i am living right now in a small town and the max possible speed that i can get here through the line are 16mbit down and 1mbit up....but only 11mbits and 500kbits are possible. that all is called DSL 16 thousand and you need to pay the full price for it. :lol:

and that all in fking year 2021 and nothing changes since many years...

but the most funny is that i can get through LTE 50mbit down and 15-20mbit up at this place...that makes things some better but still this all just sucks...i am living next to a school and shops here...i always thought that at such places everything must be fine with internet and speeds but that not true...

and our poor neighbour countries sit on fiber and paying peanuts for it...
here in germany people pay 30-50 euros for fking 16mbit...telekom is more expensive cause they ruling everything and own almost all the lines that go from dslam to house...

but all this bad infrastructure has nothing to do with the issue i am experience right now for many years...
cause before i was living in a villiage with rly low speeds DLS 2000 thousand and everything was fine with online gaming...only the ping was some high and around 80ms...but at this times i never had the feel that i am handicapped or something bad going on...i don't had this feel that hitreg is broken or something is desynced...

and everything was fine some years ago at this small town place where i am right now with DLS 16 thousand...

so whatever this shiit is...it just appeared like from nowhere and i am 100% sure that i am not crazy or debile about this all...

it's hard to proof or show to someone that this issue is real...
the only proof that would work is if someone visits me and he would then immediately see and feel that something is very bad about online...he would stuck same like me at low ranks.
It really depends what exactly the issue is, many people complain, including myself, but the issues we have, might be totally different and independent. Considering the possible placebo and nocebo effects, it's almost impossible to diagnose the real problem and to find a universal fix that works for everyone. What some people experience is just internet lag because of their own isps or wrong game netcode configurations, what others experience is just unstable fps or mouse polling rates, might be some magical fps increasing guide(s )which people blindly follow without knowing what exactly they are doing to their systems and after every os reinstall the first thing to do is exactly the same bullsh*t, worn out mouse skates or mousepads, sweaty hands that make the pad wet after longer game sessions, heavily loaded or overheating components, bad shader cache and so on... I've had bad periods when i couldnt hit anything even when my connection was stable and i haven't had any issues, but sometimes despite the lags i can easily win and do some unbelievable shots. But no doubt, your connection is bad and you should definitely find another provider. Using unstable dsl in 21 century probably with interleaving on is the worst thing that can happen to a gamer, especially fps one.
on dsl 16 i had fastpath in both ways...
my ping was low 30-40ms in most games and no lags, no spikes...
dslreports i get A+...
everything is still stable like that here...things was very good some years ago and i don't had this feel that something is wrong...

but right now i can see with my eyes that hitreg is weird, sprays are weird and i am like 0,5 sec behind and have like no time window to react properly...this disadvantage is horror and makes me only quit games today.

i can see changes in this all and it varies...sometime it's like better when i just join but then it only getting worse and worse and that is noticeable but when looking at ping, fps, packets...nothing changes and still same...and that makes the issue i have hard to troubleshoot...

changing providers don't gonna do anything here...
i already tried and my line was tested many times and all the time the answer was: everything is fine...we can't see any problems.

and on lte or mobile the issue is still 1:1 same...and that makes me think and believe that the issue i have is not about online performance or isp's...
i even tried another apartment and this issue was there too...

that just all makes no sense too me and how this is even possible...i don't find any differences...it was just 1:1 same bad like at my place...i tried atleast 3 different setups.
Why dont you just try fresh windows reinstall without any fps guides full of "tweaks" and just install your drivers and games? Then start playing and if it becomes bad overtime try to isolate the cause of your issue. Try to think of something you are doing everytime you set up your pc, it may be something really small, just a single detail you are missing.

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 20 Mar 2021, 15:12

blackmagic wrote:
djoni wrote:
blackmagic wrote:
oldschool007 wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 19:17
he is not a troll. we know each other through forum and there were many problems with my leased line :) he had not caught the current update.
currently I got the leased line but on every server packet loss even if I just ping google. Let's see what is still coming here.
6 months waiting but is already dumb. ISP are very incompetent
here in germany it's same mess with the isp's and the incompetency has no limit and it all getting only more absurd...

i am living right now in a small town and the max possible speed that i can get here through the line are 16mbit down and 1mbit up....but only 11mbits and 500kbits are possible. that all is called DSL 16 thousand and you need to pay the full price for it. :lol:

but the most funny is that i can get through LTE 50mbit down and 15-20mbit up at this place...that makes things some better but still this all just sucks...i am living next to a school and shops here...i always thought that at such places everything must be fine with internet and speeds but that not true...

here in germany people pay 30-50 euros for fking 16mbit...telekom is more expensive cause they ruling everything and own almost all the lines that go from dslam to house...

but all this bad infrastructure has nothing to do with the issue i am experience right now for many years...
cause before i was living in a villiage with rly low speeds DLS 2000 thousand and everything was fine with online gaming...only the ping was some high and around 80ms...but at this times i never had the feel that i am handicapped or something bad going on...i don't had this feel that hitreg is broken or something is desynced...

and everything was fine some years ago at this small town place where i am right now with DLS 16 thousand...

so whatever this shiit is...it just appeared like from nowhere and i am 100% sure that i am not crazy or debile about this all...

the only proof that would work is if someone visits me and he would then immediately see and feel that something is very bad about online...he would stuck same like me at low ranks.
It really depends what exactly the issue is, many people complain, including myself, but the issues we have, might be totally different and independent. Considering the possible placebo and nocebo effects, it's almost impossible to diagnose the real problem and to find a universal fix that works for everyone. What some people experience is just internet lag because of their own isps or wrong game netcode configurations, what others experience is just unstable fps or mouse polling rates, might be some magical fps increasing guide(s )which people blindly follow without knowing what exactly they are doing to their systems and after every os reinstall the first thing to do is exactly the same bullsh*t, worn out mouse skates or mousepads, sweaty hands that make the pad wet after longer game sessions, heavily loaded or overheating components, bad shader cache and so on... I've had bad periods when i couldnt hit anything even when my connection was stable and i haven't had any issues, but sometimes despite the lags i can easily win and do some unbelievable shots. But no doubt, your connection is bad and you should definitely find another provider. Using unstable dsl in 21 century probably with interleaving on is the worst thing that can happen to a gamer, especially fps one.
dslreports i get A+...
everything is still stable like that here...things was very good some years ago and i don't had this feel that something is wrong...

but right now i can see with my eyes that hitreg is weird, sprays are weird and i am like 0,5 sec behind and have like no time window to react properly...this disadvantage is horror and makes me only quit games today.

i can see changes in this all and it varies...sometime it's like better when i just join but then it only getting worse and worse and that is noticeable but when looking at ping, fps, packets...nothing changes and still same...and that makes the issue i have hard to troubleshoot...

i already tried and my line was tested many times and all the time the answer was: everything is fine...we can't see any problems.

and on lte or mobile the issue is still 1:1 same...and that makes me think and believe that the issue i have is not about online performance or isp's...

that just all makes no sense too me and how this is even possible...i don't find any differences...it was just 1:1 same bad like at my place...i tried atleast 3 different setups.
Exactly, this EMI and bad ISP theory sometimes makes zero sense at all. I even have this sluggish, bad hitreg and feel like I am 1 second behind problem in LAN's, where ISP and electricity is completely fine. My game compare with my teammates was like day and night. Even when I asked my friend to sit to my PC and play some DM, he said that something is wrong with my game, ppl do insane ferrari peeks, hitreg is completely random, mouse feels like shit, hard to AIM and react through this lag. I think that this EMI crap is too much ridiculous. Everyone after many times of unsuccessfully trying to fix this problem became Nikola Teslas and made absurd conclusion that everything was caused by EMI, and ISP problems. You can even have this problem in offline with bots for example, so HOW it can becaused by EMI and ISP? ISP and EMI causing recoil problems in offline? LOL. Yes, I actually believe that EMI can cause some sluggish mouse problems, because my mouse became good more snappier in night time, but it has nothing to do with hitreg and feeling like you are behind 1 second. I think the best way how you can test if something is wrong with your recoil and hitreg is CS 1.6.

This is how good recoil looks like in offline mode:
https://vimeo.com/13238926

And many of us, who have this recoil and hitreg problem game probably looks like this:
https://vimeo.com/13240135

So you ppl wan't to say that EMI causes this such a bullet desync? LOL.
You guys won't go anywhere with that EMI, ISP crap, so better start looking for real solution.

djoni

Post by djoni » 20 Mar 2021, 17:05

n1zoo wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 15:12
blackmagic wrote:
djoni wrote:
blackmagic wrote:

dslreports i get A+...

Exactly, this EMI and bad ISP theory sometimes makes zero sense at all. I even have this sluggish, bad hitreg and feel like I am 1 second behind problem in LAN's, where ISP and electricity is completely fine. My game compare with my teammates was like day and night. Even when I asked my friend to sit to my PC and play some DM, he said that something is wrong with my game, ppl do insane ferrari peeks, hitreg is completely random, mouse feels like shit, hard to AIM and react through this lag. I think that this EMI crap is too much ridiculous. Everyone after many times of unsuccessfully trying to fix this problem became Nikola Teslas and made absurd conclusion that everything was caused by EMI, and ISP problems. You can even have this problem in offline with bots for example, so HOW it can becaused by EMI and ISP? ISP and EMI causing recoil problems in offline? LOL. Yes, I actually believe that EMI can cause some sluggish mouse problems, because my mouse became good more snappier in night time, but it has nothing to do with hitreg and feeling like you are behind 1 second. I think the best way how you can test if something is wrong with your recoil and hitreg is CS 1.6.

And many of us, who have this recoil and hitreg problem game probably looks like this:

You guys won't go anywhere with that EMI, ISP crap, so better start looking for real solution.
First video - it's a demo, try playing your own demo of your own gameplay in some server, the result will be perfect bullet decals and recoil. Why? Everything is prerendered and internet independent.

Second video - low-skilled player with low ping, sprays like noob, the game runs like how it's supposed to run.

Third video - average player, nothing wrong with the recoil, also compilation of demos where you can clearly see even without slowmotion that he is not hitting his targets.

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 20 Mar 2021, 17:15

for those of you with shitty dsl lines in rural areas starlink is rolling out

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 20 Mar 2021, 18:24

djoni wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 17:05
n1zoo wrote:
blackmagic wrote:
djoni wrote:

dslreports i get A+...

First video - it's a demo, try playing your own demo of your own gameplay in some server, the result will be perfect bullet decals and recoil. Why? Everything is prerendered and internet independent.

Second video - low-skilled player with low ping, sprays like noob, the game runs like how it's supposed to run.

Third video - average player, nothing wrong with the recoil, also compilation of demos where you can clearly see even without slowmotion that he is not hitting his targets.
Just avoid this thread

djoni

Post by djoni » 20 Mar 2021, 18:48

n1zoo wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:24
djoni wrote:
n1zoo wrote:
blackmagic wrote:

dslreports i get A+...

Just avoid this thread
Why? It's painful when you hear opinion from a player way more experienced and skilled than you, demystifying for you the nonsenses you wrote? Sorry, nothing personal. You still don't get it, do you? I will try to be more specific - you are chasing ghosts and searching for ur own utopia. Talking only about the CS stuff because this really made me laugh hard. Try to learn how the game mechanics work and what the cvars do. And last but not least - no offence, I am just trying to help you. ;)

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 21 Mar 2021, 05:44

djoni wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:48
n1zoo wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:24
djoni wrote:
n1zoo wrote:

Just avoid this thread
Why? It's painful when you hear opinion from a player way more experienced and skilled than you, demystifying for you the nonsenses you wrote? Sorry, nothing personal. You still don't get it, do you? I will try to be more specific - you are chasing ghosts and searching for ur own utopia. Talking only about the CS stuff because this really made me laugh hard. Try to learn how the game mechanics work and what the cvars do. And last but not least - no offence, I am just trying to help you. ;)
1,6k elo beast teaches me game mechanics, looks like you need help for yourself first of all :DDDD

mello

Post by mello » 21 Mar 2021, 05:48

n1zoo wrote:
Bad hitreg, recoil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJnH8S_lKU&t=52s

This is actually a very good representation of the problem. With good internet and good hitreg & recoil all those enemies die instantly with first or second bullet. I'm expericing the exact same things happening or even worse. But you are 100% wrong by dismissing internet & ISP as the culprit. In my case, some of these problems can be mitigated (but not fixed 100%) by using mobile internet (different ISP) or a VPN (different ISP's, some do better than others). All these problems are caused by improper UDP packet handling and delivery by your ISP. Late / delayed packets, excessive dropping of UDP packets and out of order packets:

"Packet Reordering - Technical Post" thread @ reddit
"Out of Order Packets" thread @ reddit

Also this, more technical stuff that sheds more light on this issue:

"Why Can Some Advanced Ethernet NICs Cause Packet Reordering?"
"Why
 Does 
Flow
 Director
 Cause
 Packet
 Reordering?"
"Sorting Reordered Packets with Interrupt Coalescing"
"Turtles on the wire: understanding how the OS uses the modern NIC"
n1zoo wrote:
I even have this sluggish, bad hitreg and feel like I am 1 second behind problem in LAN's
You can even have this problem in offline with bots for example
It does not happen on LAN or when playing offline with bots.
n1zoo wrote:
feeling like you are behind 1 second.
Correct. This is simply packet loss and people who experience these issues are simply not participating in the game in a real time fashion. The other way to describe this issue is the feeling of having much more time to react, shoot and to do other things like moving, strafing, jumping, evadading or disengaging from fights. When this issue occurs you can feel that you are simply unable to do any of these in the way it should normally happen when if the problem would not have been there. When this problems occurs & affects me significantly i'm getting killed by low skilled players quite often. If things improve significantly the exact same players are unable to shoot or even react when facing me. So, 1v1 situations (winning/losing) looks something like that for me: 5/5 or 3/9 to 10/0 or 9/1 against exactly the same players, all depending on how my internet performs at the time i'm playing.
n1zoo wrote:
I think the best way how you can test if something is wrong with your recoil and hitreg is CS 1.6.
Again, correct. Especially on pubs, on 32 player server, where there is constant action going on. It is very easy to see what the problems are, when they occur and when everything improves or degrades again and to what degree.

djoni

Post by djoni » 21 Mar 2021, 08:13

n1zoo wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 05:44
1,6k elo beast teaches me game mechanics, looks like you need help for yourself first of all :DDDD
The situation with you is l2p, dude, you clearly have no clue about whats going on and what im talking about. The beast is nowhere near 1.6k elo, and not your matchup, trust me. You are clearly inexperienced noob with zero game knowledge, complaining about stuff you can solve by yourself if you push ur brain. Next time you post videos, make sure you know what is the effect after you are playing demo, what is cl_lw/lc and what viewpunchangle is. Judging by what you call bad hitreg on this video you posted, makes me think you also don't know how to shoot. Even a blind person would see that there is nothing wrong. I dont need any help, I know what my problem is and how to solve it, the thing is I have a contract signed with my provider. One more thing - I know what you are talking about and what your problem is, but since you are too arrogant, I will let you suffer. :)

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 21 Mar 2021, 18:18

mello wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 05:48
n1zoo wrote:
Bad hitreg, recoil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJnH8S_lKU&t=52s

This is actually a very good representation of the problem. With good internet and good hitreg & recoil all those enemies die instantly with first or second bullet. I'm expericing the exact same things happening or even worse. But you are 100% wrong by dismissing internet & ISP as the culprit. In my case, some of these problems can be mitigated (but not fixed 100%) by using mobile internet (different ISP) or a VPN (different ISP's, some do better than others). All these problems are caused by improper UDP packet handling and delivery by your ISP. Late / delayed packets, excessive dropping of UDP packets and out of order packets:

"Packet Reordering - Technical Post" thread @ reddit
"Out of Order Packets" thread @ reddit

Also this, more technical stuff that sheds more light on this issue:

"Why Can Some Advanced Ethernet NICs Cause Packet Reordering?"
"Why
 Does 
Flow
 Director
 Cause
 Packet
 Reordering?"
"Sorting Reordered Packets with Interrupt Coalescing"
"Turtles on the wire: understanding how the OS uses the modern NIC"
n1zoo wrote:
I even have this sluggish, bad hitreg and feel like I am 1 second behind problem in LAN's
You can even have this problem in offline with bots for example
It does not happen on LAN or when playing offline with bots.
n1zoo wrote:
feeling like you are behind 1 second.
Correct. This is simply packet loss and people who experience these issues are simply not participating in the game in a real time fashion. The other way to describe this issue is the feeling of having much more time to react, shoot and to do other things like moving, strafing, jumping, evadading or disengaging from fights. When this issue occurs you can feel that you are simply unable to do any of these in the way it should normally happen when if the problem would not have been there. When this problems occurs & affects me significantly i'm getting killed by low skilled players quite often. If things improve significantly the exact same players are unable to shoot or even react when facing me. So, 1v1 situations (winning/losing) looks something like that for me: 5/5 or 3/9 to 10/0 or 9/1 against exactly the same players, all depending on how my internet performs at the time i'm playing.
n1zoo wrote:
I think the best way how you can test if something is wrong with your recoil and hitreg is CS 1.6.
Again, correct. Especially on pubs, on 32 player server, where there is constant action going on. It is very easy to see what the problems are, when they occur and when everything improves or degrades again and to what degree.
Yes, I agree that poor quality ethernet, unstable jitter spikes, packet loss can really cause missing your first important shots, or completely fuck up your hit registry, but this is not a case what I'm saying. The point is the first two examples in my previous post. The problem is that something causes completely different unpredictable, uncontrollable recoil pattern in almost all popular FPS shooters, but you can best feel it only in CS 1.6, even in offline mode. When you bursting it feels like your bullets goes way more above the crosshair compared to people who doesn't have this problem. For example my previous post first videos, did u saw bullet holes spread from both videos? First video bullet holes are completely straight, second video bullet holes are random, keep in mind that in both videos cl_lc, and lw are same. Second example, the guy with perfect recoil pattern just bursting into the heads and you can clearly see that recoil patern goes so smooth, u don't even need to control it completely. In second video bullets goes completely random exactly the same way like in my first example of bullet holes in the wall. I know, different, random, unpredictable recoil problem exists. I even can feel it when playing csgo, valorant. I did many tests with friend pc's and know how perfect recoil should work. My friend is in Valorant team which is top 10 right now in eu, and i know exactly that he is not having these problems. I was playing with his PC in LAN and compared his recoil with mine. Guess what? The difference compared his game and mine are like day and night. I know a little bit what could cause this, but i need to do more research. Actually 4, or 3 years back in steam forums were a very popular thread with 200+ pages called "cs isn't smooth" and people knew that something causes completely unpredictable recoil in games and tried to solve it but sadly nothing worked, even different ISP's, apartments didn't helped.

So too sum up if you 100% sure that your game is fine only in offline mode, and in online everything goes completely bad, then probably it's ISP problem. Sadly mine case is different.