AMD Radeon AntiLag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
1000WATT

Re: AMD Radeon AntiLag

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Jun 2019, 12:13

masneb wrote: If they're streamlining and improving the GPU stack including their drivers and a game becomes CPU bound, there isn't much AMD (graphics) can do to improve that. In a complete Ryzen system that means AMD COULD potentially tackle this from the USB port all the way through your GPU. Obviously this technology is still in its infancy and we may eventually see a whole OS implementation or specialized input stack eventually derived for peripherals with ways for games to address it exclusively in the long run.
even if you cross out all the words amd. I immediately understand what company you are talking about. :mrgreen:
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Jun 2019, 12:35

masneb wrote:Obviously this technology is still in its infancy
According to the rep in the video, if that's all this new "Anti-Lag" feature is, it isn't in it's infancy though, it's been around forever. He states in that video:
So anti-lag is a software optimization. What we're doing is we're making sure that the CPU work where your input is registered doesn't really get too far ahead of the GPU work where you're drawing the frame, so that you don't have too much lag between click mouse, when you press key, and when you hit the response out on the screen.
What he's describing is literally the pre-rendered frames queue, which (I think) is already available to control via AMD reg edits, and is an existing entry in the Nvidia control panel.

The only difference I see (unless they're holding a lot back here) is possibly automatic and/or more reliable global override of the existing in-game frames ahead queue value at the driver level.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, you can do this now (for the games that accept the override; not all do, usually for engine-specific, or raw performance reasons), just set the below option to "1":

I have a description of this setting in my G-SYNC 101 article's "Closing FAQ" as well:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/15/

Some games also offer an engine-level equivalent of this setting, like Overwatch, which labels it "Reduced Buffering."

Finally, regarding the input lag difference between AMD/Nvidia on the test setups in that video, that can easily be explained; Nvidia's max pre-rendered frames entry is set to "Use the 3D application setting" at the driver level at default (an equivalent of "2" or "3" pre-rendered frames), so if they left it at that, and enabled their own "Anti-Lag" feature on the AMD setup (probably an equivalent of "1" pre-rendered frame), then you'd get the difference we're seeing there (at 60 FPS, each frame is worth 16.6ms, and the difference is about 15ms in the video).

So far, this just sounds like very clever marketing and re-framing of an existing setting for an audience that is less familiar with this than we are. Which isn't a bad or disappointing thing though, at least from my perspective (if it ends up being the case); it would be great to have a more clearly/correctly labeled and guaranteed pre-rendered frames queue override for virtually every game it's applied to (something that doesn't seem to be the case with the Nvidia setting currently).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Jun 2019, 13:36

jorimt wrote: Finally, regarding the input lag difference between AMD/Nvidia on the test setups in that video, that can easily be explained; Nvidia's max pre-rendered frames entry is set to "Use the 3D application setting" at the driver level at default (an equivalent of "2" or "3" pre-rendered frames), so if they left it at that, and enabled their own "Anti-Lag" feature on the AMD setup (probably an equivalent of "1" pre-rendered frame), then you'd get the difference we're seeing there (at 60 FPS, each frame is worth 16.6ms, and the difference is about 15ms in the video).
If this is true.
And if this marketing is aimed at selling top-end video cards, it is reasonable to assume that in new drivers for new cards this parameter will become 1. And this will be very ugly.
Attachments
3.png
3.png (79.7 KiB) Viewed 10584 times
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Jun 2019, 14:14

1000WATT wrote:it is reasonable to assume that in new drivers for new cards this parameter will become 1. And this will be very ugly.
Oh, who knows, it could end up being "2" ;P

All we know from that video, is the test is (presumably) showing up to one frame less than at the (apparent) default MPRF values from both AMD/Nvidia (which seems to be "3").
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 16 Jun 2019, 16:50

I've been researching now. So it is the equivalent of Nvidia max pre rendered frames It seems.

I use "1" on all my games, it's the first thing I do once the system is installed.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 21 Jun 2019, 11:59

Is this the same marketing stunt like a few years ago by nvidia?
https://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature ... te-figures

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 21 Jun 2019, 12:17

The way the AMD Anti-Lag tech sounded to me is that it worked in a similar fashion to what we are already doing with Scanline Sync, but probably without the accurate frame time of SSync, so you would really want to pair it with FreeSync. But we will have to wait for the feature to come out and be thoroughly tested.

Litzner

Post by Litzner » 21 Jun 2019, 12:23

Notty_PT wrote:I've been researching now. So it is the equivalent of Nvidia max pre rendered frames It seems.

I use "1" on all my games, it's the first thing I do once the system is installed.
I personally stopped setting pre-rendered frames to 1, when I had Nvidia last anyways. In testing that setting has little to no effect on input latency, but can noticeably increase hitching\make frame times more erratic in some titles. It seems to be best to be left on default\application controlled and let the game engine decide. I think BattleNonSense did a pretty extensive test on this setting once, but it may have been someone else.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 22 Jun 2019, 08:34

Litzner wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:I've been researching now. So it is the equivalent of Nvidia max pre rendered frames It seems.

I personally stopped setting pre-rendered frames to 1, when I had Nvidia last anyways. In testing that setting has little to no effect on input latency, but can noticeably increase hitching\make frame times more erratic in some titles. It seems to be best to be left on default\application controlled and let the game engine decide. I think BattleNonSense did a pretty extensive test on this setting once, but it may have been someone else.
This reddit post explains the pro and cons of a one frame prerender limit.
In Battlefield 5 they call it FutureFrameRendering.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/c ... planation/

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 22 Jun 2019, 14:27

As I see many don't understand that a game engine can overwrite or use own value and ignore pre-rendering setting at the nvidia control panel. That's sad.
About that' AMD Radeon AntiLag. Looks like AMD do it every year just to remind games that they care of gamers.
2017 - https://www.pcgamer.com/amds-radeon-sof ... n-latency/
2018 - https://www.anandtech.com/show/13654/am ... -edition/2 https://community.amd.com/community/gam ... oject-resx
And that World War Z game uses Vulkan and is tuned by AMD for sure.