Difference between changing display resolution or 3D res?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
xmysticgohanx

Difference between changing display resolution or 3D res?

Post by xmysticgohanx » 26 Jul 2019, 01:43

I want to play Fortnite at 900p

There’s two ways to do this:

1. Change in-game “Display Resolution” to 900p, keep “3D Resolution” at 100%

2. Keep “Display Resolution” at 1080p, change “3D Resolution” to 900p (I think that is 83%, last time I checked)

Is there any difference in terms of input lag or whatever else?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Difference between changing display resolution or 3D res

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2019, 13:21

Are you scaling (stretch to full screen) or windowboxing (black borders)?

If one of them triggers GPU scaler, and the other triggers the monitor scaler -- it is possible they can be different lag.

But which is better, alas varies -- often card dependent, driver dependant, monitor dependent which one is lowest lag. A fast GPU scaler can outperform a laggy monitor scaler. A lagless monitor scaler can outperform a slow GPU scaler. It's happened both ways before. Test both ways.

You can also try windowboxing 900p in the middle of 1080p, and skip scaling altogether. Some gamers do this too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xmysticgohanx

Post by xmysticgohanx » 27 Jul 2019, 18:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Are you scaling (stretch to full screen) or windowboxing (black borders)?

If one of them triggers GPU scaler, and the other triggers the monitor scaler -- it is possible they can be different lag.

But which is better, alas varies -- often card dependent, driver dependant, monitor dependent which one is lowest lag. A fast GPU scaler can outperform a laggy monitor scaler. A lagless monitor scaler can outperform a slow GPU scaler. It's happened both ways before. Test both ways.

You can also try windowboxing 900p in the middle of 1080p, and skip scaling altogether. Some gamers do this too.
I'm scaling since it will be fullscreen. I dont know which option triggers which?

My monitor is the Viewsonic XG2402. My gpu is the gtx 1660

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 27 Jul 2019, 19:21

xmysticgohanx wrote:I dont know which option triggers which?
google nvidia control panel scaling.