Apex Legends Input Lag/Stutters/FSO Issues

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
goa604

Re: Apex Legends Input Lag/Stutters/FSO Issues

Post by goa604 » 15 Aug 2019, 17:23

Do you have adaptive resolution? You need a killer rig to play apex at 240Hz

knypol

Post by knypol » 15 Aug 2019, 17:38

No i dont. But there are some places where u have 144-240 fps on 1080ti. And above 144 it just doesnt look right.

masneb

Post by masneb » 20 Aug 2019, 20:07

In 1903 MS broke full screen optimizations tick box, games wont always be put into full screen exclusive mode. It sometimes doesn't work or even do anything. For instance if you have a volume knob on your keyboard if you scroll it up and down in game and the overlay pops up the game isn't in full screen exclusive and disable full screen optimization doesn't do anything. Disabling windows game bar doesn't seem to work fully anymore, even with the poilicy editor. After 1903 I had to manually disable it through registry changes.

Yup, standby list is a known issue. ISLC band aids that.

YukonTrooper

Post by YukonTrooper » 23 Aug 2019, 17:35

Not sure whether or not the texture budget has been optimized in Apex, but anything other than "None" would cause me stutters. I've left it at "None" ever since the first few builds and haven't tested since.

I remember doing FSO adjustments in the past, but IIRC those settings are usually best left default in post 1803 builds. I do have Windows Game Mode disabled.

ISLC is a must in Apex for me. Ditto BF1. Those are the only online games I'm playing at the moment.

I'm using G-Sync so system stutters are very apparent to me when they happen. I can confidently say Apex has been very smooth for some time (only major stutter issues were server related months prior). Just upgraded to a 2070 Super from a 1070 and they both have had no problems.

Input feels a bit floaty compared to other FPS titles, but that's across the board for everybody, so I just get on with it.

boon

Post by boon » 23 Aug 2019, 21:03

I've been using this monitor at 160fps on apex with a crappy cpu, but good ram and gpu. The ram is limited to about 3800mhz due to the cpu, a 7600k @ 4.9ghz (4core, 4 thread), and a 1080. There are good tweaks to be found in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37ADYWPbcs . I use the adaptive resolution to always maintain 150fps, and rivatuner to cap it there. Even in the most demanding situations the game is still clear, so anybody with an average rig should be able to do the same. With anything beyond 180fps something breaks in the apex engine, creating strange stutters anyway, so even with the best rig you're not doing much better.

I really like this for kovaak's aim trainer though, as I can run at 300fps and work on my mouse precision and speed.

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Sep 2019, 11:01

YukonTrooper wrote:Not sure whether or not the texture budget has been optimized in Apex, but anything other than "None" would cause me stutters. I've left it at "None" ever since the first few builds and haven't tested since.

I remember doing FSO adjustments in the past, but IIRC those settings are usually best left default in post 1803 builds. I do have Windows Game Mode disabled.

ISLC is a must in Apex for me. Ditto BF1. Those are the only online games I'm playing at the moment.

I'm using G-Sync so system stutters are very apparent to me when they happen. I can confidently say Apex has been very smooth for some time (only major stutter issues were server related months prior). Just upgraded to a 2070 Super from a 1070 and they both have had no problems.

Input feels a bit floaty compared to other FPS titles, but that's across the board for everybody, so I just get on with it.
I think the 'off' mouse you are mentioning is the Full screen optimisation. I tried all the combinations of gsync on/off and FSO on/off on a few different games and having FSO on definitely adds input lag to your mouse.

I tick disable FSO for Apex anyway even though the game still forces it on, but having it forced on definitely creates input lag.

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Sep 2019, 11:08

disq wrote:What makes you say that when you tick "disable fullscreen optimizations" it doesn't work as intended?
Full screen optimisation is just a Windows thing that messes up how the game is originally intended to work, it basically just makes Full screen into a hybrid fullscreen/borderless windowed.

You know its on because you can Alt-Tab out of the game instantly without it flashing black and pausing a second, also if you change your volume the volume bar will appear on your screen over the game, real full screen it will be behind the game and you won't see it.

Full screen optimisation might be handy for some people who like to quickly tab out of the game alot but it creates mouse input lag and other people have reported different glitches and performance issues because of it.

disq

Post by disq » 17 Sep 2019, 15:22

TTT wrote:
disq wrote:You know its on because you can Alt-Tab out of the game instantly without it flashing black and pausing a second, also if you change your volume the volume bar will appear on your screen over the game, real full screen it will be behind the game and you won't see it.
I'm on Windows 10 1803 and i don't see the volume slider when adjusting the sound. I instantly get to the desktop when Alt+Tabbing though. AFAIK FSO are disabled

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Sep 2019, 15:49

disq wrote:
TTT wrote:
disq wrote:You know its on because you can Alt-Tab out of the game instantly without it flashing black and pausing a second, also if you change your volume the volume bar will appear on your screen over the game, real full screen it will be behind the game and you won't see it.
I'm on Windows 10 1803 and i don't see the volume slider when adjusting the sound. I instantly get to the desktop when Alt+Tabbing though. AFAIK FSO are disabled
If its instantly alt tabbing you are on FSO, but the volume bar will come up as well. You can't have one thing happening and not the other, unless you have changed the registry on Apex though the game is forcing it on.

disq

Post by disq » 17 Sep 2019, 16:05

TTT wrote:If its instantly alt tabbing you are on FSO, but the volume bar will come up as well. You can't have one thing happening and not the other, unless you have changed the registry on Apex though the game is forcing it on.
As i said the volume slider doesn't appear. I tweaked a bunch of stuff long time ago so i can't tell you what exactly it was but FSO are disabled

The game might be forcing it but if that's the case i'm afraid we can't do anything about it