higher input lag since switching to zen 2 (high speed test)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ko4

Re: higher input lag since switching to zen 2 (high speed te

Post by ko4 » 14 Sep 2019, 16:46

Motherboard came and is functional, will do some testing soon

Calypto

Post by Calypto » 16 Sep 2019, 21:03

Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel and there is little you can do about it. It's why I switched to a 9700K from a 2700 only a year later. I noticed the input lag right away after building my PC having been using Intel before. What you can do to mitigate the issue is to disable SMT.

ko4

Post by ko4 » 17 Sep 2019, 15:07

Calypto wrote:Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel and there is little you can do about it. It's why I switched to a 9700K from a 2700 only a year later. I noticed the input lag right away after building my PC having been using Intel before. What you can do to mitigate the issue is to disable SMT.
I did some testing with my old cpu and yes, I can definitely tell a difference. Not sure if it's due to amds architecture or this motherboards usb design in particular. I used this cpu with a b450 board before i bought an x570 board due to booting issues and I didn't notice any latency issues while using it. Might've been because I was busy trying to fix the booting issues all day instead of gaming.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » 17 Sep 2019, 16:49

ko4 wrote:I did some testing with my old cpu and yes, I can definitely tell a difference. Not sure if it's due to amds architecture or this motherboards usb design in particular. I used this cpu with a b450 board before i bought an x570 board due to booting issues and I didn't notice any latency issues while using it. Might've been because I was busy trying to fix the booting issues all day instead of gaming.
Ryzen has higher memory latency and has CCXs is what it boils down to. For pure gaming and latency, Intel is vastly better.

life_at_1ms

Re: higher input lag since switching to zen 2 (high speed test)

Post by life_at_1ms » 13 Feb 2021, 06:19

I don't see how Intel can be considered lower latency when we're talking microseconds - not milliseconds... Meanwhile for the rest of the components that are increasing latency a lot we are talking milliseconds (especially input devices & display).

I do wonder how AMD's new memory sharing architecture between GPU & CPU might decrease latency, though.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 14 Feb 2021, 00:24

life_at_1ms wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 06:19
I don't see how Intel can be considered lower latency when we're talking microseconds - not milliseconds... Meanwhile for the rest of the components that are increasing latency a lot we are talking milliseconds (especially input devices & display).

I do wonder how AMD's new memory sharing architecture between GPU & CPU might decrease latency, though.
I have to agree and this was essentially debunked by Gamers Nexus. Regardless, Ryzen can be an incredible challenge to fine tune. 3933 1:1 completely stable all around in every single benchmark. CPU, memory, all of it. One title in particular I’d see 200 FPS drops. Coming full circle, it was the memory *and likely a beta bios. Instead of an all core OC on my 5950X (didn’t have this issue on my 5900 but bios wouldn’t allow the memory to be stretched). I opted to stay with Beta Bios (AGESA 1.2.0.0) and just tuned every CPU. By undervolting each CPU, I hit over 5ghz on almost across the board though I do have 2 weaker cpus. I ended up just staying screw it, literally not worth the time or hassle and stuck it @ 3800 CL14 1t and if I had to guess, despite not throwing errors in memtest with one title in particular (not one I’d seen anywhere else period) it took care of it. I believe the memory was maybe being temperamental with heat but not in a way that would throw a memtest error. The final result ended up being, wow you can pass every test but the real world one is sketchy. More importantly though, I hit boss mode multi core R20 scores while maintaining high single core scores and not a single WHEA error. The alternative was 46.75 all core OC but I find the PBO2 optimization much better, just literally dependent on a per chip basis and time consuming.

Are you mentioning AMD’s Rage? This is a PCIe 4.0 spec not exclusive to AMD. I am definitely interested to see REBAR when Nvidia brings this for their GPUs this month I believe. Is there something else AMD has in the pipe?

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 14 Feb 2021, 09:29

I'm very interested in this topic in general. My AMD 3800X memory latency was around 62~63ns with 1:1 1900/3800. My AMD 5800X can get as low as 52.9ns with single rank 1:1 1900/3800. From the little bit that I've seen Intel systems are around ? mid 40ns. Correct me if I am wrong. The last intel system I used was a X58 rig I used up until the Ryzen 3k series came out so I don't have a fair comparison. I almost went with a 10850k for my second build but went AMD instead. So unfortunately I can't give my experience between the two.