Testing frametime/framepacing

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
chenifa

Testing frametime/framepacing

Post by chenifa » 31 Aug 2019, 18:30

Hi,
I'm new but have read a lot on this forum, it helped me out a lot already thanks to the very knowledgable people here!

Currently I am playing apex legends, and I want to monitor frametime to make a desicion on the following:
-Capped or uncapped fps
-Low latency mode OFF ON or ULTRA in nvidia settings

So I tried monitoring frametime with MSI afterburner and I compared a lot of rounds of apex with all possible setting combinations....the thing is I can't judge which settings are best based on soley looking at the frametime chart.

How can I objectively test for which settings offer the best framepacing in general and the least frametime spikes? I'm thinking of framtime stadard deviation or some formula for MSI but I have no idea if that is possible or would even help at all.
Any ideas?

(PS: I'm running 1080ti, Intel Xeon E3-1230v3, on a 240hz zowie XL2540. I don't use any antiblur or vsync)

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Testing frametime/framepacing

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 31 Aug 2019, 22:22

FRAPS and FRAFS Bench Viewer. That can sound outdated but you will get avg, 1%, 0.1% and will see spikes at graph. Example of result. Just set fixed 1-5 minutes of benchmark and press hotkey to start it by hotkey. Another tools is more modern and but no graph tools available afaik. It's complex called presentmon https://github.com/GameTechDev/PresentMon
Oh... look like there is new tool for making nice graphs, reporting and even comparison https://github.com/DevTechProfile/CapFr ... comparison
Gonna use for Quake Champions. New patch coming soon.

hardcore mode: presentmon + own graphs and own formulas by google docs or microsoft excel or own code.
easiest but old (but still accurate): fraps + fraps bench viewer.
must be easy: CapFrameX.

And first of all you need to understand what is avg, 1% & 0.1% lows.
This guy will tell you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXepIWi4SgM

ko4

Post by ko4 » 31 Aug 2019, 23:31

Apex legends is a relatively smooth game with good frame pacing and low amounts of stutter.

Apex is very gpu heavy so you want to cap the fps to a value you can hit 100% of the time and most importantly during firefights otherwise you get input lag.

I've tried apex with ultra low latency and its still smooth, probably because of large CPU headroom. I'm using an r5 3600

ZeroStrat

Post by ZeroStrat » 23 Sep 2019, 05:59

Q83Ia7ta wrote: hardcore mode: presentmon + own graphs and own formulas by google docs or microsoft excel or own code.
easiest but old (but still accurate): fraps + fraps bench viewer.
must be easy: CapFrameX.
So CapFrameX is hardcore and easy beause it's based on PresentMon. ^^ CapFrameX supports all 3D APIs. Try to capture a Vulkan game with fraps.

CapFrameX is the most accurate tool on the "market". Its based on PresentMon and implements adavanced strategies to compensate record time variation with a preceded data buffer.