Cap your fps people (battlenonsense)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
whitepuzzle

Re: Cap your fps people (battlenonsense)

Post by whitepuzzle » 07 Jan 2020, 18:54

What do you guys think is the best way to cap FPS in TF2? The in-built fps_max console command seems quite dodgy, when using refresh rate OSD counter on my monitor (XN253QX - 240Hz w/ G-Sync) it causes violent fluctuation from 231-235 Hz. RTSS of course keeps a perfectly stable 237 FPS+237 Hz at all times, but is guaranteed to introduce 1 frame of input lag (possibly unnoticeable at 237 FPS). Then there's the new Nvidia max frame rate option in driver 441.87 which I've yet to experiment with.

Subjectively, RTSS 237 cap looks and feels very nice, with no screen tearing and an unnoticeable (with cursory testing) hit to input lag, but I can't help but feel that using the in-game cap with a high value of something like 300-400 might be objectively better for input lag.

emhelmark

Post by emhelmark » 13 Jan 2020, 19:58

Is apex legends in-game limiter gives better input lag vs rtss/nvcp?

How about for pubg and cs:go? And also dota2 even though its not FPS.

IIRC someone says that source engine games have good in-game limiter so apex/cs/dota2 seems ok.

How bout pubg? I think they use UE and as per bnonsense videos, fornite's(which uses UE too) in-game limiter sucks.

Does this means for UE games I'll go with rtss/nvcp then source games = in-game limiters?

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 13 Feb 2020, 17:07

whitepuzzle wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 18:54
What do you guys think is the best way to cap FPS in TF2? The in-built fps_max console command seems quite dodgy, when using refresh rate OSD counter on my monitor (XN253QX - 240Hz w/ G-Sync) it causes violent fluctuation from 231-235 Hz. RTSS of course keeps a perfectly stable 237 FPS+237 Hz at all times, but is guaranteed to introduce 1 frame of input lag (possibly unnoticeable at 237 FPS). Then there's the new Nvidia max frame rate option in driver 441.87 which I've yet to experiment with.

Subjectively, RTSS 237 cap looks and feels very nice, with no screen tearing and an unnoticeable (with cursory testing) hit to input lag, but I can't help but feel that using the in-game cap with a high value of something like 300-400 might be objectively better for input lag.
While I understand that having a perfect 237 sounds awesome the reality is the fluctuation of 231Hz to 235Hz is really not that much.

Refresh Rate in msec with that fluctuation = 4.2918ms +/- ~0.0368ms which really isn't that bad, you might notice it but it's still better than what it could be and you have less input lag via the alternate method.