Question about optimal nvidia settings

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
GFresha

Question about optimal nvidia settings

Post by GFresha » 30 Sep 2019, 02:12

Not sure if this is covered on here or if you guys are experienced with different nvidia settings, but aside from ultra low latency mode, are their any nvidia settings that make input lag worse or better OR do all nvidia settings mainly deal with FPS?

Anyways I wanted to ask some questions about some of the settings on the NVCP and if you guys are experienced with said setting or have some official word on what that setting does then please let me know! Note that I put the general setting emphasiszing "performance" and most of my games are csgo, ow, fortnite, etc... So my priority is high FPS, but I don't mind turning up some settings for slightly better visuals at the cost of a little bit of FPS because I already cap my FPS at 141 for gsync and already have a pretty beefy rig so I can handle some settings.

Anyways starting off with

- Anisotropic filtering: I have this settings set to 16X across all my games and since I have a rtx 2080, I don't think any issues with this setting set to 16x instead of application controlled correct?

- ultra low latency: I got word that this setting is best for 99% GPU bound games, so I have this turned on off for fortnite, csgo, ow since my GPU barely reaches more than 40% on those games. What about "on" ? I used to always put pre-rendered frames to 1, since the only other option was "use 3d applciation setting" but now we can use off, on or ultra. Should I use on to get that pre-rendered frames to 1 feeling or is this setting actually not exactly "pre-rendered frames" and its just better to leave it off as long as you are not hitting 99% GPU bound correct?

- power management mode: is it okay to put it on prefer maximum performance for game by game basis? Does it actually do anything compared to "optimal power" aside from constantly spinning super hard? Or are their any proven word that it helps out with FPS?

- Texture filtering - anistropic sample optimazation and Texture filtering - negative LOD bias: the first setting is automatically set to off and the second setting is automatically set to "clamp." I did not do this change, it happened when I set anistropic filtering to 16x, these two settings are okay to be on "off" and "clamp"?

- texture filtering - quality: I have this set on "quality" since I already set the other setting to 16x, should I set to high quality instead? Is their a big difference?

- texture filtering - trilinear optimization: I have this set to "on" I have seen people say leave this on "on" and others say leave on "off" but I have my games on SSD and again my rig is beefy, so I think setting this to on is okay?

That's it for me guys, thanks!!!

jorimt

Re: Question about optimal nvidia settings

Post by jorimt » 06 Oct 2019, 16:55

GFresha wrote:aside from ultra low latency mode, are their any nvidia settings that make input lag worse or better OR do all nvidia settings mainly deal with FPS?
Short answer, is (other than V-SYNC) the remaining settings mostly affect FPS (and usually not by much), not input lag directly.
GFresha wrote: - ultra low latency: I got word that this setting is best for 99% GPU bound games, so I have this turned on off for fortnite, csgo, ow since my GPU barely reaches more than 40% on those games. What about "on" ? I used to always put pre-rendered frames to 1, since the only other option was "use 3d applciation setting" but now we can use off, on or ultra. Should I use on to get that pre-rendered frames to 1 feeling or is this setting actually not exactly "pre-rendered frames" and its just better to leave it off as long as you are not hitting 99% GPU bound correct?
I think I've discussed this setting with you in another thread already, but, at best, this setting can reduce input lag by about 1 frame (relative to the current max refresh rate), and mostly only in GPU-bound situations.
GFresha wrote: - Anisotropic filtering: I have this settings set to 16X across all my games and since I have a rtx 2080, I don't think any issues with this setting set to 16x instead of application controlled correct?

[...]

- power management mode: is it okay to put it on prefer maximum performance for game by game basis? Does it actually do anything compared to "optimal power" aside from constantly spinning super hard? Or are their any proven word that it helps out with FPS?

- Texture filtering - anistropic sample optimazation and Texture filtering - negative LOD bias: the first setting is automatically set to off and the second setting is automatically set to "clamp." I did not do this change, it happened when I set anistropic filtering to 16x, these two settings are okay to be on "off" and "clamp"?

- texture filtering - quality: I have this set on "quality" since I already set the other setting to 16x, should I set to high quality instead? Is their a big difference?

- texture filtering - trilinear optimization: I have this set to "on" I have seen people say leave this on "on" and others say leave on "off" but I have my games on SSD and again my rig is beefy, so I think setting this to on is okay?
Tweak Guides has some existing in-depth info here (including power mode):
https://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html

Long story short, if you use NVIDIA Profile Inspector, set it as pictured below for highest quality texture filtering (globally):

As for power management modes, for modern/demanding games "Optimal performance" is usually want you want to keep it at, but if a certain game is downclocking your GPU (usually a badly optimized or old/undemanding game), you can set it to "Prefer maximum performance" for that app to force your GPU to it's highest (base) clock at all times.

This is usually not recommended for desktop use, as it sometimes doesn't allow the GPU to downclock when idle.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)