Input lag overlay

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
tygeezy

Input lag overlay

Post by tygeezy » 16 Oct 2019, 16:24

Would it be possible to have software implementation overlay that displayed input latency? Like how RTSS measures frametimes, would it be possible to display input latency?

I think this would be an amazing feature and we can make objective observations about games instead of saying "controls are sluggish" or "the mouse feels floaty."

As it is testing for input lag requires a lot of equipment, is tedious and takes a long time. There just isn't enough info out there I think because of these barriers.

sharknice

Re: Input lag overlay

Post by sharknice » 16 Oct 2019, 18:51

Sort of, but it would be really hard to make.
You would need some advanced software that intercepts your input and analyzes the frames being generated, and it would have to be smart enough to know a specific input lead to a specific thing happening on screen. You could potentially make something that detects a left click and then recognizes shooting animations and measures the time between then displays it on an overlay. Keeping track of which left click caused which firing animation could be hard. A lot of things would be hard, but I think it's something you could feasibly create. You would probably have to customize it for each game.

However, if you did have this software it would only being showing you the input lag generated by the game, it wouldn't be factoring in the hardware lag with the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. You can't measure the input lag of the keyboard, mouse and monitor without a camera.

tygeezy

Re: Input lag overlay

Post by tygeezy » 17 Oct 2019, 13:38

sharknice wrote:Sort of, but it would be really hard to make.
You would need some advanced software that intercepts your input and analyzes the frames being generated, and it would have to be smart enough to know a specific input lead to a specific thing happening on screen. You could potentially make something that detects a left click and then recognizes shooting animations and measures the time between then displays it on an overlay. Keeping track of which left click caused which firing animation could be hard. A lot of things would be hard, but I think it's something you could feasibly create. You would probably have to customize it for each game.

However, if you did have this software it would only being showing you the input lag generated by the game, it wouldn't be factoring in the hardware lag with the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. You can't measure the input lag of the keyboard, mouse and monitor without a camera.
That would still be very useful because peoples hardware will vary.