Isn't it better to disable gsync and increase FPS limit?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
GFresha

Isn't it better to disable gsync and increase FPS limit?

Post by GFresha » 27 Oct 2019, 21:38

Talking about IPS monitor here, I believe their response time is 4 MS compared to 1 MS TN right?

With that in mind, if some1 has IPS monitor 4 MS (say XB271HU) + enables gsync + caps fps -3 refresh rate how much input lag we talking here, anything significant compared to say someone such as

TN 1 MS monitor + gsync disabled + 144 FPS cap?

Anything significant between these two scnarios assuming both monitors are 144 hz?

Isn't it better for someone with IPS monitor to try to reach high frames to lower input lag in order to make up the 3 MS in pixel response time compared to a TN or am I thinking like an idiot here?

For example isn't it better to disable gsync + cap at 300 FPS (instead of 141) for an IPS monitor for esports games? For single player triple A np to enable gsync and have smooth game with slight input lag but I think if some1 own IPS monitor and still want to be somewhat competitive in esports games prob should disable gsync and cap at 240 fps instead of 141.

Let me know your thoughts, I may be off here lol but that's what I see. Also I understand some people might say "you not gona feel the difference" but please let me know how much MS difference in the 2 scnarios between IPS, gsync on, -3 refresh rate cap vs TN, gsync off, 144 FPS cap vs IPS, gsync off, 300 FPS cap

All caps I am talking about in game cap nothing outside.

Sparky

Re: Isn't it better to disable gsync and increase FPS limit?

Post by Sparky » 28 Oct 2019, 05:05

Latency is cumulative. The difference in pixel transition time is added on to everything else, so you can't really make up for it by increasing framerate. Increasing framerate will have the same impact regardless of panel type.

As for whether it's better or not, that's debatable, because you'll be giving up consistency in latency to get a small benefit in absolute latency. With vsync off, you add one frame interval worth of inconsistency in latency compared to vsync on or g-sync on. average latency will stay the same at the same framerate.

With g-sync on at 140fps, the middle of the screen will have a consistent scanout latency of about 3.5ms. With vsync off at say 280fps, the scanout latency at the center of the screen will be random between 0 and 3.5ms. So if your only concern is minimizing reaction time, the higher framerate is better, but if you're actually aiming at something, the consistency might be more important.

jorimt

Re: Isn't it better to disable gsync and increase FPS limit?

Post by jorimt » 28 Oct 2019, 08:18

GFresha wrote:Talking about IPS monitor here, I believe their response time is 4 MS compared to 1 MS TN right?
Few (if any) 144Hz TN panels have an actual average 1ms GtG response time, most are closer to 3ms GtG on average with optimal overdrive presets (minimal over/undershoot).
GFresha wrote:Isn't it better for someone with IPS monitor to try to reach high frames to lower input lag in order to make up the 3 MS in pixel response time compared to a TN or am I thinking like an idiot here?
Higher GtG doesn't technically cause more input lag, it causes more smear. The actual pixel information is getting to your eyeballs just as fast as a monitor with a lower GtG, it's just blurrier in motion. E.g. GtG levels don't directly affect how fast new pixel information is delivered to the monitor, they affect how clear it looks once it gets there.

With that in mind, you can't really consider the GtG difference between IPS and TN a direct input lag difference (which is why it confuses me to no end why many monitor reviewers factor GtG into the total input lag level of the monitor).
GFresha wrote:For example isn't it better to disable gsync + cap at 300 FPS (instead of 141) for an IPS monitor for esports games
That's not going to change or make up for the higher GtG, the lowest levels of which are fixed at the maximum refresh rate of the panel; it's going to be just as blurry at 300 FPS as it is at 141 FPS.

With 300 FPS + V-SYNC OFF @144Hz, however, you can reduce input lag by about 1-3ms at crosshair-level vs. capped G-SYNC, but this goes for any panel type, regardless of GtG:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ettings/9/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)