RTSS Scanline sync not working properly

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
almdudler

RTSS Scanline sync not working properly

Post by almdudler » 13 Mar 2020, 06:20

Hi, Scanline sync is driving me insane right now. The tearing line on my screen just does not go away no matter which number I choose.
But actually it is a bit wierd on my computer because it behaves different that everythin I have seen so far.

My Setup:
Rtx 2080 Ti
Samsung QLED 50 inch 4K tv
V-Synv off in control panel and in all games
Borderless Windows / Fullscreen (I tried both but I usually play in borderless window)
Windows 10

So to begin with I tried pretty much all values from 300 to -1600 (10 was one step) and nothing worked. The tearing line always remained.
After that I setup the hotkeys in the config file so I could move the line scanline with ctrl + shift + arrow key down/up. Thats the point that confuses me the most. I managed to move the tearing line out of the screen with the hotkeys and it worked for a few seconds. But after a few seconds the tearing line comes back an is located in the upper 33% of the screen. (Note: I have constant 60 fps without any drops and my gpu usage was only at 50% in the game I tested).
I don't know what's causing this and why the tearing line comes back all the time.

Edit: Another thing I noticed:
The tearing line changes every few seconds. For example if I use -70 as value the tearing line is sometims in the middle and after a few seconds almost at the top and after a few seconds it is between the middle and the bottom at the screen. How is that even possible? My resolution is always the same and does not change at all.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: RTSS Scanline sync not working properly

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2020, 08:45

1. Cosnsitently slowly-moving tearline:
Is there a 2nd monitor? Does this problem happen when you disable the 2nd monitor, or disable the laptop screen, and use your TV as primary monitor?

The most common cause of a scrolling tearline means RTSS S-Sync is synchronized to a different monitor during your game. 60Hz isn't always 60Hz, some screens are 59.999Hz and others 60.001Hz and others 59.94 Hz and others 59.999939 Hz (EDID differences). Those micro-differences are common causes of non-stationary tearline that slowly scroll around the screen.

2. Randomly jumping tearline:
Do you have G-SYNC Compatible turned on? Try turning it off. It can sometimes interfere with the operation of RTSS S-Sync
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

almdudler

Post by almdudler » 16 Mar 2020, 07:46

Sorry for the late reply. I did some testing and you were absolutley right.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 08:45
1. Cosnsitently slowly-moving tearline:
Is there a 2nd monitor? Does this problem happen when you disable the 2nd monitor, or disable the laptop screen, and use your TV as primary monitor?

The most common cause of a scrolling tearline means RTSS S-Sync is synchronized to a different monitor during your game. 60Hz isn't always 60Hz, some screens are 59.999Hz and others 60.001Hz and others 59.94 Hz and others 59.999939 Hz (EDID differences). Those micro-differences are common causes of non-stationary tearline that slowly scroll around the screen.
Just turning the second monitor off did not solve the problem I had to remove the DisplayPort cable and restart my computer to get it to work properly. After this process I can plug the cable back in and turn my monitor on again. It still works. But as soon as I restart my pc it does not work.
Maybe a note that is helpful: I use my tv as the primary monitor but when I start my computer the msi bios logo is always shown on my monitor and not on my tv. Maybe the monitor reacts quicker or the gpu uses displayport over hdmi at startup. I don't know if this has anything to do with Scanline sync not working properly.

Anyways is it possible to fix this problem? I don't want to unplug my dp cable everytime I start my pc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2020, 17:50

almdudler wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 07:46
Anyways is it possible to fix this problem? I don't want to unplug my dp cable everytime I start my pc.
Before we do anything else, can you please confirm this is a slow-rolling tearline?

Run a test that continuously pans horizontally, like strafing in CS:GO, and see if the tearline keeps rolling at exactly the same velocity from the top-towards-bottom, or bottom-towards-top.

How many displays do you see in NVIDIA Control Panel -> Change Resolution?
And is G-SYNC enabled or disabled?
And how many displays do you see listed if you right click your Windows desktop -> Display Settings?

16 Mar 2020, 07:46
Maybe a note that is helpful: I use my tv as the primary monitor but when I start my computer the msi bios logo is always shown on my monitor and not on my tv. Maybe the monitor reacts quicker or the gpu uses displayport over hdmi at startup. I don't know if this has anything to do with Scanline sync not working properly.
Physically dIsconnecting is not necessary. Use Control Panel instead. Swapping Primary / Secondary briefly or simply temporarily disconnecting via Control Panel (NOT unplugging DisplayPort cable) is easier. Display Settings -> "Disconnect this Display" via mouse click

It does not matter which screen the boot logo is displayed.

If this works, get a copy of DisplayFusion.com to do it automatically via a hotkey.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

almdudler

Post by almdudler » 17 Mar 2020, 05:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 17:50
Before we do anything else, can you please confirm this is a slow-rolling tearline?
Indeed it is a slow-rolling tearline from top to bottom. When it reached the bottom it will start again at the top of the screen.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
How many displays do you see in NVIDIA Control Panel -> Change Resolution?
And is G-SYNC enabled or disabled?
And how many displays do you see listed if you right click your Windows desktop -> Display Settings?
I can see 2 displays in the nvidia control panel: My Tv and my monitor
G-Sync is disabled. I disabled G-Sync compatibility and set the monitor technology to fixed synchronisation in the 3d settings.
I can also see two displays in windows: My tv and my monitor
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Physically dIsconnecting is not necessary. Use Control Panel instead. Swapping Primary / Secondary briefly or simply temporarily disconnecting via Control Panel (NOT unplugging DisplayPort cable) is easier. Display Settings -> "Disconnect this Display" via mouse click
Unfortunately it does not work. If I just disable my monitor and then activating it again the tearline is still moving.
If I disable my monitor then setup scanline sync in the game and then activating it again scanline sync does not work at all. It doesn't reduce my fps to 60 and I'm still having 70 fps.