RTSS/NvidiaCP Limiter + In-game FPS limiter input lag & frame time question

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Comanglia

RTSS/NvidiaCP Limiter + In-game FPS limiter input lag & frame time question

Post by Comanglia » 18 Mar 2020, 14:46

Just watched a few videos relating to the Input Lag difference of the various in-game fps caps vs third party fps caps, and it made me curious what happens when you combine both the in-game limit and a third party limit? The in-game limiter has less input lag but the third party limiters have less frame-time variance so it would be nice to find a way to get some level of tradeoff between the 2.

Example
G-Sync ON (30-144+)
In-Game FPS limit: 125
desired 8ms frame times but in reality getting say 7.5ms to 9ms frame times

RTSS FPS limit: 125
desired 8ms frame times with very minor deviations
increased input lag maybe +6ms to +12ms, I have no clue how much since it seems some people seem to get slightly less than 1 frame of added input lag in their testing while other get a bit above 1 frame of input lag. I guess it might depend on the game and if you're CPU vs GPU bound to begin with.

But what happens when some has this?

G-Sync ON (30-144+)
RTSS FPS limit: ~130 (should mean frame time is never less than about 7.7ms)

or

G-Sync ON (30-144+)
RTSS FPS limit: ~250

I'm not sure how RTSS goes about capping FPS relative to an in-game fps cap so not sure necessarily which limit would be more applicable in terms of reducing frame-time variance but keeping add input lag to a minimum if that's even possible by doing this.

konchy

Re: RTSS/NvidiaCP Limiter + In-game FPS limiter input lag & frame time question

Post by konchy » 22 Jul 2020, 14:25

Well, I'm pretty sure that the lower fps cap will override the higher one.

I'm myself am kinda interested in finding what happens with setting both caps the same. Ingame fps cap at 138 and rtss fps cap at 138.

Will I get the best of both worlds? The least input lag together with perfectly stable frame times?

I dont have a slow motion camera to test this myself

Alpha

Re: RTSS/NvidiaCP Limiter + In-game FPS limiter input lag & frame time question

Post by Alpha » 27 Jul 2020, 06:02

Is there a tutorial either of you suggest for RTSS? Yesterday, my attempts to use just crashed my games when I alt tabbed out. Trying to achieve the lowest input lag with least tearing. Staying tuned to this topic.