[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2021, 01:42

bijay135 wrote: ↑
16 Jan 2021, 00:09
Hello everyone, like all of you I suffer from this problem. I had posted here few months before and chief told me to check a fluorescent tube method to check emi level since I am very near a power line. I did try it it did not light up at all, guess it's not so bad after all.

I tried everything for about 3 years to fix this, was a hardcore cs go player. After 3 years of failure I could no longer keep up at the risk of going insane I sold my pc altogether and bought a ps4, been happy ever since. This issue does not seem to affect wireless input devices at least in my case. I can play online/offline games all day with wireless dual shock 4 and never notice any issues. I also started using wireless keyboard/mouse for general pc use ( I no longer use pc for gaming ). It's been working fine over 2 - 3 years for me.

Since cod warzone had keyboard/mouse support in ps4. I did recently tried my existing wired keyboard/gaming mouse and the problem is still there. After 30 or so minutes the input starts getting massively floaty, feeling like sliding on ice and I can no longer aim properly at all, since inputs are massively delayed. Next day or a fresh gaming session same thing repeats, mouse is only usable for about 30 minutes to an hour. I also bought a brand new gaming mouse just to test, it was completely fine for about 3 days and this issue started again. So, I am back to playing with wireless controller.

I want to try a wireless gaming mouse in future if I can find a budget one, that is only thing left to test for me or move house somewhere else in future and hope this issue is not there. Maybe the wireless solution can work for at least some of you. Thank you for reading and do reply me if you got any questions . :D
I'm not surprised. Wires acts as antenna that pick up interference. That's a problem.

Hmmm.... You may be a perfect test case to test a theory I have. The biggest problem will be unshielded wires, like poorly-shielded mouse cables. They act as antennas in high-voltage transmission corridors.

Find a thick metal tube, and stuff your mouse cable inside it (but not coiled-up, as coiled wire can amplify its ability to pick up interference in this case). See if the mouse stops being laggy. (It will be hard to move the mouse much, but it might change the latency behavior). The problem is the powerful EMI of a power transmission corridor is powerful enough to punch through a lot of shielding, but it might attenuate enough to stop lagging the mouse.

Another test to try is adjust the axis of the mouse cable towards you (near-far), sideways (left-right), and vertical (up-down), this can vary the amount of interference injected into the cable -- much like fiddling with rabbit-ears TV antennas.

A wireless mouse is probably superior for latency in a strong electric field environment (electric field EMI that interferes badly with cables, instead of radiofrequency EMI that interferes badly with wireless signals). In your case, eliminating wires that could act as antennas to pick up strong interference.

The cables of many esports mice are thinly/poorly shielded, because the mouse cable has to be flexible.

I imagine one can modify a gaming mouse to use a coaxially shielded USB cable, so that the gaming mouse works properly in high-EMI environments.

Some YouTuber should set up a gaming desk (with cheap equipment) in the grass underneath 735,000 volt electric transmission line corridor and see what happens -- I imagine there will be some problems with some computer accessories, because unshielded wires are like antennas...

What model of mouse do you have? Some mice have more well-shielded cables than other brands.

Possible Tip For Readers Who Live Near Power Transmission Corridors
Try using wireless keyboards & wireless gaming mice if you live near a high-voltage transmission corridor. Yes, wireless devices is more laggy than cabled devices in a low-EMI environment, but there are cases where wireless can outperform wired in latency when you're stuck near a high voltage power transmission corridor. Choose high-quality gaming-optimized wireless devices, which will at least be less laggy than older wireless devices.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bijay135

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by bijay135 » 16 Jan 2021, 02:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
16 Jan 2021, 01:42
Find a thick metal tube, and stuff your mouse cable inside it (but not coiled-up, as coiled wire can amplify its ability to pick up interference in this case). See if the mouse stops being laggy. (It will be hard to move the mouse much, but it might change the latency behavior). The problem is the powerful EMI of a power transmission corridor is powerful enough to punch through a lot of shielding, but it might attenuate enough to stop lagging the mouse.
I did try some ferrite beads and ferrite coil I extracted from a power supply and wrapped my mouse cables inside them as I read ferrite can lower emi. It did make my mouse very responsive but the floaty feeling after 30 min to 1 hour kicked in and got worse the more I used it like always so my guess is metal tube will have similar results. I may try in future as I have vacuum cleaner metal tube around.
Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
16 Jan 2021, 01:42
What model of mouse do you have? Some mice have more well-shielded cables than other brands.
I tried with generic mouse, logitech G302 then logitech G102 and as of now fantech blake x17 it's a chinese brand but good enough sensor. Fantech one has ferrite bead built in wire, it does makes the mouse way responsive than my previous three but like I mentioned above the floaty effect kicks as usual after 30 minutes to 1 hour of usage and only gets worse. So still no real fix.

All of the gaming wired mouse 1000hz and good sensor feels way way worse compared to my wireless mouse from $5 wireless k/m combo, crap sensor and 125hz in terms of responsiveness.

Also, now that I think about it I could have 2 seperate problems working side by side. 1st one being the EMI from high voltage power lines above causing constant input lag and 2nd one being something off with the electricity in my house causing the loss of responsiveness as time goes on. Shielding EMI may fix the first problem but as long as the input device is directly hooked to the electricity coming from the wall the 2nd problem will still be there and thats why a wireless device works in my case. Constant input lag I can adapt to but the gradual loss of responsiveness being the one I actually need to fix.

All of this or I have finally gone insane. :lol: Don't know what to make of this issue anymore.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2021, 13:46

blackmagic wrote: ↑
16 Jan 2021, 03:13
@chief
is it possible that the high temps from my gpu was causing this and somehow messing with my system and that all turns into improvements that i start feel while online gaming ?
Yes, it can. Even without EMI.

Even without EMI, a very hot GPU can exhibit some thermal throttling behaviours. Thermal throttling can add latency.

blackmagic wrote: ↑
16 Jan 2021, 03:13
you have informations if high temps has an effect on emi ?
Yes, but in a "straw broke the camel back" way.

A GPU pushed to its limits can be more sensitive to EMI than a GPU far away from its limits.

This normally does not matter, unless the computer is running in extremely strong-EMI environment.

All of this, fundamentally, is a lot of dominoe-effects that unexpectedly interacts with each other.

What this means is you need more safety margins (more headroom below overclock max, more headroom below thermal max) when operating a computer in a high-EMI environment.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hardhit

Post by hardhit » 16 Jan 2021, 15:05

was this video shared here previously?

https://youtu.be/yDYSu-TU25w?t=23

the author shows two different players performing the same motion with mouse at most likely the same settings and there is some real life footage at the end
Last edited by hardhit on 17 Jan 2021, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

spkii

Post by spkii » 16 Jan 2021, 16:14

Hey, I still trying my computer on the other house for 4 months now, the problem has not solved yet, but i feel better than in my house where had all the problems. I experienced that the problem is like solving slowly but day by day is working a bit better (not sudden changes), chan this be possible? Its my feeling now.

PLUSPUNKT

Post by PLUSPUNKT » 17 Jan 2021, 16:26

did someone actually try to shield his whole case? :lol: With copper foil or something else

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 17 Jan 2021, 18:14

PLUSPUNKT wrote: ↑
17 Jan 2021, 16:26
did someone actually try to shield his whole case? :lol: With copper foil or something else
ye but there was 1 guy he try more then foil xD

https://imgur.com/a/wpO9ciF
2800 eu in filters usb

Xcen

Post by Xcen » 18 Jan 2021, 04:28

@blackmagic:
The first thing to rule out is internet.
Is there a difference when you unplug the ethernet cable and play offline?

CrazyHorse666

Post by CrazyHorse666 » 18 Jan 2021, 08:49

People seem to forget that they all come together when online games are played, they love each other as one, enough to share the common mind of the Apex arena, here and there. In this mind, the body is often forgotten and the stresses and light bending properties of the minds infinite potential are felt and experienced as lag, packet loss, code:net, code leaf, etc.

Do not forget that you are alive in this space and time. Here, time and gravity are both related and will affect the properties of electrons in electronics by the mere act of observing.

Time runs differently when under the influence of anxiety for example, try playing the game after drinking coffee. The anxiety will scream and your experience of the game will be taken from the game and brought to the time and reference of your body in the physical realm. This makes it seem that everything is against you, from aim to lag and dying behind walls. If you're really angry, packet loss will make you rubber band for example.

Similarly, when in love, a sense of joy and freedom is experienced. This can be described as a peak experience felt as a "good game" with many kills. Many Preds appear very drunk on their streams. Could you guess why?

The thing that makes Apex different from many FPS games such as call of duty of battlefield is that you have one life only - you do not respawn. People guard their life at all costs, with this comes tension, anxiety and stress - biological systems designed to keep you alive. The games do therefore have more gravity as the perception has changed to adapt to this horrible warzone. As a human, the biggest virtue that we have is the life that we have. We forget how important it is and what it means to be alive. The power and significance of being alive means that two stubborn titans will when faced against each other, clash into one another like two universes. The problem is that these universes interact in one common interface.

Get to know you mind people, its easy... Nicola Tesla allegedly said that the gift of mental power comes from God, Devine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. Its a shame that our pcs are so primitive when the potential of our minds are infinite.

Wink wink imagine apex without code:net in the final rounds when youve done 7 kills in a plat to diamond game... UGH... :twisted: :ugeek: :idea:

CrazyHorse666

Post by CrazyHorse666 » 18 Jan 2021, 08:54

People seem to forget that they all come together when online games are played, they love each other as one, enough to share the common mind of the Apex arena, here and there. In this mind, the body is often forgotten and the stresses and light bending properties of the minds infinite potential are felt and experienced as lag, packet loss, code:net, code leaf, etc.

Do not forget that you are alive in this space and time. Here, time and gravity are both related and will affect the properties of electrons in electronics by the mere act of observing.

Time runs differently when under the influence of anxiety for example, try playing the game after drinking coffee. The anxiety will scream and your experience of the game will be taken from the game and brought to the time and reference of your body in the physical realm. This makes it seem that everything is against you, from aim to lag and dying behind walls. If you're really angry, packet loss will make you rubber band for example.

Similarly, when in love, a sense of joy and freedom is experienced. This can be described as a peak experience felt as a "good game" with many kills. Many Preds appear very drunk on their streams. Could you guess why?

The thing that makes Apex different from many FPS games such as call of duty of battlefield is that you have one life only - you do not respawn. People guard their life at all costs, with this comes tension, anxiety and stress - biological systems designed to keep you alive. The games do therefore have more gravity as the perception has changed to adapt to this horrible warzone. As a human, the biggest virtue that we have is the life that we have. We forget how important it is and what it means to be alive. The power and significance of being alive means that two stubborn titans will when faced against each other, clash into one another like two universes. The problem is that these universes interact in one common interface.

Get to know you mind people, its easy... Nicola Tesla allegedly said that the gift of mental power comes from God, Devine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. :twisted: :mrgreen: