Average Latency Test in Forza Horizon 4 what it means

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Flickspeed

Average Latency Test in Forza Horizon 4 what it means

Post by Flickspeed » 27 Mar 2020, 11:15

Hello,

So here is the topic. Forza Horizon 4 video benchmark test shows "Average Latency" in ms at the end of the test. I am guessing this is the average frame latency. Now I want to know if this measurement is legit as there are some strange things going on with it. Specifically on my system when running at native resolution and averaging about 140 or so fps the average latency reported was about 21ms. Now when lowering the resolution slightly, specifically I lowered it to 1728x1080 a 16:10 version of Full HD, the test reported a few more FPS but the average latency reported was now 31ms which is about 10ms more. Can someone explain this phenomenon?

Can someone also link a legit frame latency test if there is one? I am currently playing around with Nvidia scaling options such as aspect ratio vs no scaling at non native resolutions.

Flickspeed

Re: Average Latency Test in Forza Horizon 4 what it means

Post by Flickspeed » 30 Mar 2020, 22:46

Nobody knows?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Average Latency Test in Forza Horizon 4 what it means

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2020, 00:44

Flickspeed wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 11:15
So here is the topic. Forza Horizon 4 video benchmark test shows "Average Latency" in ms at the end of the test. I am guessing this is the average frame latency. Now I want to know if this measurement is legit as there are some strange things going on with it. Specifically on my system when running at native resolution and averaging about 140 or so fps the average latency reported was about 21ms. Now when lowering the resolution slightly, specifically I lowered it to 1728x1080 a 16:10 version of Full HD, the test reported a few more FPS but the average latency reported was now 31ms which is about 10ms more. Can someone explain this phenomenon?

Can someone also link a legit frame latency test if there is one? I am currently playing around with Nvidia scaling options such as aspect ratio vs no scaling at non native resolutions.
This might be the time interval from frame-rendertime to frame-display.

Higher frame rates may sometimes cause more framebuffer pileup especially with VSYNC ON. By software developers, that's called framebuffer backpressure. This is framerate versus refresh rate, rather than resolution. That means framerates that hits (or tries to exceed) refresh rate, can start to lag unless you switch settings to:
-- Use VSYNC OFF
-- Use VSYNC ON combined with Fast Sync or Enhanced Sync (low-lag preemptible triple buffering techniques).
-- Use an alternate low-lag VSYNC ON technique.

To solve lag, you ant to use VSYNC OFF, or use a frame rate cap to keep the framerates from reaching or exceeding frame rates. That's the premise that the HOWTO: Low-Lag VSYNC ON is based on.

Do you have a high speed camera available, such as a Samsung Galaxy series phone with 960fps Super Slow Motion video? It might be possible to manually concot a test that confirms some of this, but many of those Super Slow Motion cameras only record for a super-limited time (e.g. 0.5 seconds worth of video), so the trigger needs to be almost simultaneous with video record.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!