Low latency mode for Gsync

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
GFresha

Low latency mode for Gsync

Post by GFresha » 04 Apr 2020, 20:02

So right now what I am doing for this mode is a game by game basis where I go and test my avg fps, % lows, and frametimes with low latency off vs on vs ultra and comparing. If I see no difference between these 3 modes I am going for Ultra and if I do see a difference then its probably either going to be On instead of ultra.

Is this a safe method for this "low latency mode" for all games? or could I be causing myself input delay? I don't have a means to my input delay just the smoothness of game through %lows and frametimes.

MT_

Re: Low latency mode for Gsync

Post by MT_ » 07 Apr 2020, 13:59

Just cap your game's FPS below refresh rate and make sure your GPU usage never hits 75%+, and set pre-rendered to off (default).

Personally I enforce max clock on my GPU through MSI afterburner when gaming, so there is also no ramp up time involved.

In this condition, there should be minimal possible frame queing going on, and in the weird event that it still occurs (even just very infrequently) it's probably just a hitch you'll never notice.

Minimal latency where possible, unless somehow the pipeline temporarily requires it to queue frames (Even if its just a few frames every second) to keep smoothness with G-sync+V-sync.

Its basically the same story as uncapped (or capped to 240fps) on my 120hz screen with framepacing issues and possible tearing due to unsynchronized frames vs refresh rate, where the tearing bugs me more than the few ms extra latency that G-sync causes, the steadiness and consistency just makes me play better, as does my visual awareness due to full intact frames being exposed to me instead of two different frames (tearing).
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 10 Apr 2020, 20:12

After doing some tests, I didn't notice any stuttering or % lows changes between Ultra and off.

With gsync on + NVCP vsync on + ingame vsync off, LLM is best left at On because if its on Ultra it will override in game limiter and we don't want that unless game limiter is set lower than LLM cap. (Side note in Valorant when I set gsync on + NVCP vsync on + ingame vsync off + LLM ultra the FPS got capped to 225 even though I set the in game limit to 237 so I'm not sure what could have caused this.

Anyways I had some follow up questions to non sync methods for the following two games, Valorant and Warzone:

In Valorant my CPU usage at low settings was 20-30% and GPU was almost the same also at 20-30%, so because I was not CPU bound, the % lows and frametimes were not effected by setting LLM to Ultra

This brings a follow up question, since LLM did not cause stuttering in Valorant but at the same time the game is not GPU bound, would me putting LLM to Ultra actually cause input delay even though game is smooth in terms of frametime and % lows? So in this case, assuming non GPU bound situations cause input delay if you set LLM to Ultra, the best option is to just set it to "On"?

Warzone on the other hand

My CPU usage was also not more than 60% but my GPU was constantly 90%+. In this game again, when I set the LLM to Ultra vs Off I did not notice stutters in frametime/% lows so we can eliminate that issue. However, since the game is actually GPU bound, I think the play here is to leave LLM to Ultra in this case because Warzone is GPU bound?

Therefore, correct my understanding if I am off here but:

CPU bound but not GPU bound games: Test setting LLM on Off vs On and see if their is stuttering and if their is no stuttering its safe to set the mode to On but assuming their is high CPU utilization then probably this mode should be set to Off in this scenario. BUT don't set to Ultra because it can cause input delay since game is not GPU bound?

GPU bound not CPU bound (Warzone): Likely LLM On vs Off vs Ultra will yield same frametimes/% lows since CPU, but likely setting LLM to Ultra is the play here because its GPU bound, so it should actually help out input delay.

Neither CPU bound/GPU bound (Valorant): Likely all 3 modes of LLM will not cause stutters/frametimes/% lows issues because the CPU is not loaded. At the same time if you set it to Ultra it will cause input delay because its not GPU bound, so setting this to On is the play here, no?

SO BASICALLY GPU BOUND = Ultra (unless it stutters) | CPU bound = likely Off (but can test On to see if it has stutters) | non GPU/CPU bound = On

Anything any1 would like to add here?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 10 Apr 2020, 21:11

GFresha wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 20:12
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&start=30#p44825
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

bapt337

Post by bapt337 » 11 Apr 2020, 06:32

GFresha wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 20:12
After doing some tests, I didn't notice any stuttering or % lows changes between Ultra and off.

With gsync on + NVCP vsync on + ingame vsync off, LLM is best left at On because if its on Ultra it will override in game limiter and we don't want that unless game limiter is set lower than LLM cap. (Side note in Valorant when I set gsync on + NVCP vsync on + ingame vsync off + LLM ultra the FPS got capped to 225 even though I set the in game limit to 237 so I'm not sure what could have caused this.

Anyways I had some follow up questions to non sync methods for the following two games, Valorant and Warzone:

In Valorant my CPU usage at low settings was 20-30% and GPU was almost the same also at 20-30%, so because I was not CPU bound, the % lows and frametimes were not effected by setting LLM to Ultra

This brings a follow up question, since LLM did not cause stuttering in Valorant but at the same time the game is not GPU bound, would me putting LLM to Ultra actually cause input delay even though game is smooth in terms of frametime and % lows? So in this case, assuming non GPU bound situations cause input delay if you set LLM to Ultra, the best option is to just set it to "On"?

Warzone on the other hand

My CPU usage was also not more than 60% but my GPU was constantly 90%+. In this game again, when I set the LLM to Ultra vs Off I did not notice stutters in frametime/% lows so we can eliminate that issue. However, since the game is actually GPU bound, I think the play here is to leave LLM to Ultra in this case because Warzone is GPU bound?

Therefore, correct my understanding if I am off here but:

CPU bound but not GPU bound games: Test setting LLM on Off vs On and see if their is stuttering and if their is no stuttering its safe to set the mode to On but assuming their is high CPU utilization then probably this mode should be set to Off in this scenario. BUT don't set to Ultra because it can cause input delay since game is not GPU bound?

GPU bound not CPU bound (Warzone): Likely LLM On vs Off vs Ultra will yield same frametimes/% lows since CPU, but likely setting LLM to Ultra is the play here because its GPU bound, so it should actually help out input delay.

Neither CPU bound/GPU bound (Valorant): Likely all 3 modes of LLM will not cause stutters/frametimes/% lows issues because the CPU is not loaded. At the same time if you set it to Ultra it will cause input delay because its not GPU bound, so setting this to On is the play here, no?

SO BASICALLY GPU BOUND = Ultra (unless it stutters) | CPU bound = likely Off (but can test On to see if it has stutters) | non GPU/CPU bound = On

Nice observation, i would say :

non GPU/CPU bound = Scanline sync

Gpu bound / non cpu bound = LLM to ultra

Non gpu bound / Non cpu bound = why not use normal vsync with framelimiter for input lag?
Ive find great result to use ingame vsync sometimes and cap at 61 (for 60hz) reduce input lag and no stutter