Why lower resolutions are more smoother in gaming?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
andrelip

Re: Why lower resolutions are more smoother in gaming?

Post by andrelip » 30 Jun 2020, 21:26

jorimt wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 09:27
senny22 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 09:07
In CS:GO the mouse exactly the same if you have the same aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3 or 16:9) and thus a lower resolution wouldn't affect the mouse directly.
Correct, which is why I was sure to add "it probably depends on how the given game calculates mouse input."

The bulk of the difference is likely due to the aforementioned increase in higher possible performance (even at the same average framerates; tighter frame-times, less CPU/GPU wait/faster processing, etc), but I was noting the contribution of DPI/sensitivity differences when downscaling for thoroughness sake, regardless.
That's incorrect. It didn't depend on the game.

The shorter the GPU time, the less input lag. The only reason why you don't notice that in CSGO is because the GPU render is ridiculous low even in high resolution and ultra settings. So you reach the diminished effects. Underclock your GPU until you reach a reasonable GPU utilization, and you immediately notice an input delay.

jorimt

Re: Why lower resolutions are more smoother in gaming?

Post by jorimt » 30 Jun 2020, 21:45

andrelip wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 21:26
That's incorrect. It didn't depend on the game.
I was specifically referring to downscaling/upscaling resolution and its direct effect on mouse DPI, not GPU/CPU performance, which others were pointing out here.

senny22 then replied to that and said that CS:GO won't be affected by DPI changes due to native/scaled resolution mismatch, as it handles mouse sensitivity calculations differently than some other games, which I agreed with.
andrelip wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 21:26
The shorter the GPU time, the less input lag. The only reason why you don't notice that in CSGO is because the GPU render is ridiculous low even in high resolution and ultra settings. So you reach the diminished effects. Underclock your GPU until you reach a reasonable GPU utilization, and you immediately notice an input delay.
I wasn't speaking from experience with CS:GO particularly; I've only ever played that game at native res.

I was simply offering an alternate possible contribution (out of many possible contributions) as to why lower resolutions might feel smoother and more responsive in certain situations with certain games.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)