I think am having EMI/power problem which I can't fix

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Misha1337

I think am having EMI/power problem which I can't fix

Post by Misha1337 » 20 Apr 2020, 08:28

Hello there I have been suffering from an input lag/bad exp with my PC since like 3 years with a decent PC which I keep upgrading so I can fix the problem but nothing help going from 144hz monitor to 240hz monitor changing from Intel to ryzen getting a double conversion online UPS also am using fastpath through my ISP but nothing change

Am having the exact same problem in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3641&start=20

I tried connecting the author on steam but he doesn't accept my friend request.

Also am non native English talker so sorry for my wording because I can't describe the problem.

nuggify

Re: I think am having EMI/power problem which I can't fix

Post by nuggify » 20 Apr 2020, 13:43

I have been investigating this problem (which many folks have experienced) for nearly two years. We are getting close, some of us have obtained an oscilloscope to get adequate measurements on it. My personal belief is that it is increased EMF (very large fields) in our homes. I have confirmed this after hiring a very good electrician. I can break the cause of this down but I have already written about it several times on this forum alone. In my case there is no simple or easy fix, my best bet would be moving. Power conditioners, Online UPS etc are absolutely not a solution for this because its not a power filter that we need- it is shielding in order to mitigate it. The EMF radiates (from the source, which could be different in your case- usually poor wiring practices). Because of this our cables (data signal cables especially) become antennas and induce the interference onto themselves. This signal blocks the data transfers (inputs) and results in loss of input, de synchronized inputs and delayed inputs. Of course it also tarnishes display, audio quality, and network performance as well.

A few things you should test to verify this is indeed your issue:

Place foil or other EMF shielding around your cables and see if your mouse responds differently.
Do the same with some foil around your IO shield or monitor.
Buy a power conditioner and see if it changes the input behaivor. (keep in mind this will not be a permanent fix)

The author of the thread you linked does have this exact problem (or did) but he is long gone. I tried contacting him 2 years ago a few times and never heard back. I would bet he either gave up gaming and moved on with life or moved to a different home as this problem is incredibly hard to troubleshoot. Either way I am part of a group of around 15 of us with this exact power caused input issues and we have been working tirelessly to prove, mitigate, or find a real solution to this issue. Hope that helps.

Misha1337

Re: I think am having EMI/power problem which I can't fix

Post by Misha1337 » 20 Apr 2020, 16:38

nuggify wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 13:43
I have been investigating this problem (which many folks have experienced) for nearly two years. We are getting close, some of us have obtained an oscilloscope to get adequate measurements on it. My personal belief is that it is increased EMF (very large fields) in our homes. I have confirmed this after hiring a very good electrician. I can break the cause of this down but I have already written about it several times on this forum alone. In my case there is no simple or easy fix, my best bet would be moving. Power conditioners, Online UPS etc are absolutely not a solution for this because its not a power filter that we need- it is shielding in order to mitigate it. The EMF radiates (from the source, which could be different in your case- usually poor wiring practices). Because of this our cables (data signal cables especially) become antennas and induce the interference onto themselves. This signal blocks the data transfers (inputs) and results in loss of input, de synchronized inputs and delayed inputs. Of course it also tarnishes display, audio quality, and network performance as well.

A few things you should test to verify this is indeed your issue:

Place foil or other EMF shielding around your cables and see if your mouse responds differently.
Do the same with some foil around your IO shield or monitor.
Buy a power conditioner and see if it changes the input behaivor. (keep in mind this will not be a permanent fix)

The author of the thread you linked does have this exact problem (or did) but he is long gone. I tried contacting him 2 years ago a few times and never heard back. I would bet he either gave up gaming and moved on with life or moved to a different home as this problem is incredibly hard to troubleshoot. Either way I am part of a group of around 15 of us with this exact power caused input issues and we have been working tirelessly to prove, mitigate, or find a real solution to this issue. Hope that helps.

Can I add you on steam ,fb or Whatsapp so we can chat would be much appreciated