Low-Input-Lag mode Monitor?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Low-Input-Lag mode Monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 May 2020, 13:31

elliott wrote:
15 May 2020, 12:17
Where does Scanline Sync fit here?
Depends on where you place the tearline.
If inside the VBI, the S-Sync looks identical to VSYNC ON at the cable level and the panel level. You do have fewer framebuffers waiting in the GPU drivers though, less lag). It just looks like VSYNC ON.

Now if you put a stationary tearline onscreen, it will be different. It will take me an hour to create a new scanout diagram for that though.
elliott wrote:
15 May 2020, 12:17

Naively, I was hoping to use SSYNC get VSYNC OFF performance but with a consistent tearline some [comfortable] amount above my crosshair, to ensure that area has the lowest lag. Am I thinking about this right? Am I using the right tool for the job?
elliott wrote:
15 May 2020, 13:08
Thinking a little more critically, and after a little more caffeine, I think this would just be like VRR but worse. Consistent scanline location but visible instead of during VBI. With no real benefit.
Depends.

Actually it would be a shifted latency gradient. Each VSYNC OFF frameslice is a latency gradient, where lowest lag (during non-strobed operation) is area right below a tearline, and highest lag is area right above a tearline.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!