I am a newbie. I make some considerations on the input lag of my favorite game.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
paXiomX

I am a newbie. I make some considerations on the input lag of my favorite game.

Post by paXiomX » 25 May 2020, 13:58

Hi guys, I read you from the outside and you are a forum full of competent people.
I'm Luca, an Italian boy and I play mainly Fortnite in a semi-competitive way. I recently purchased a 144hz monitor, the AOC C24G1 (Freesync, but G-SYNC compatible).

For weeks I have been looking for the best configuration to have the least possible input lag and to be fast in movement.

I tried:
1) 160fps with G-SYNC active
2) 144fps with G-SYNC active
3) 141fps with G-SYNC G + V-SYNC ON in the Nvidia panel
4) 141fps with G-SYNC active + V-SYNC OFF in Nvidia panel
6) I disabled the freesync on the monitor, I cap the FPS to 160fps.

I must say that among all these tests, the last one seems to have given me the greatest results in terms of input lag, that is, I totally disabled the freesync and I set the fps to a slightly higher value of 144fps. I noticed that with the G-SYNC I was losing some "speed".

Do you think it's placebo effect? Or was it the best solution? In all cases, I always kept the ultra low latency mode in the Nvidia control panel!

TTT

Re: I am a newbie. I make some considerations on the input lag of my favorite game.

Post by TTT » 26 May 2020, 08:55

Lowest possible is all syncs off.

VRR isn't laglass, its just much less than Vsync.

Also don't max your GPU, cap the FPS so your GPU isn't going over 90-95%.

Also don't use Ultra, leave it set to ON(1).

paXiomX

Re: I am a newbie. I make some considerations on the input lag of my favorite game.

Post by paXiomX » 26 May 2020, 14:48

Why is it convenient to use it on ON and not on ULTRA?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 20:21

Lag is not a single number --

I am not surprised that the last item VSYNC OFF (#6) performed faster.
This is because VSYNC OFF is the only way to bypass scanout latency.

Also, VRR capped lower than max-Hz, will usually not activate VSYNC OFF for most refresh cycles, even if you configure VRR+VSYNC OFF. The second sync setting (after VRR) is a fallback backup sync technology that only activates for specific frames with frametimes faster than max-Hz refreshtimes.

There's
-- Absolute latency (the average latency)
-- Latency volatility (how much latency varies from measurement to measurement)
-- Latency gradient (how much latency varies from top edge through the bottom edge of panel)

VRR is the world's lowest latency "Non-VSYNC-OFF" sync technology.
The only latency caused by VRR is scanout latency (the latency gradient).

You can reduce VRR scanout latency by using a higher refresh rate.

144fps G-SYNC at 360Hz = least lag
144fps G-SYNC at 240Hz = less lag
144fps G-SYNC at 144Hz = more lag

This is because of scanout latency, because any "Non-VSYNC-OFF" technology has a mandatory scanout latency.
360Hz = 1/360sec scanout.
240Hz = 1/240sec scanout.
144Hz = 1/144sec scanout.

TL;DR: It's very hard to beat VSYNC OFF for absolute lag. However, if you want to reduce VRR latency penalty, reduce scanout latency by getting highest-Hz you can afford

See the VRR scanout latency penalty practically disappear at higher Hz, here's 60Hz vs 240Hz VRR. The lag difference almost disappears!

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!