Training for CS:GO with net_fakelag (observed pros)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Training for CS:GO with net_fakelag (observed pros)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2020, 22:12

Hey y'all

There's a lot of stuff if you google "net_fakelag CS:GO"

This is not a standard command, as it is disabled on most servers (since it's considered a cheat).
However, this is a VERY interesting testing exercise.

The console command, "net_fakelag" can make it easier to score on laggy fun servers and/or crappy Internet connections.

Erratic latency can create hit registration problems (frequent overshooting / undershooting) -- the hitreg randomly not registering -- you shot someone but the hit did not register.

Gaming performance can improve if you use net_fakelag slightly when you're on a crappy Internet connection.

For example, setting net_fakelag to roughly half your average loaded TCP round-trip latency (not ICMP ping latency), can actually produce better aimfeel. Yes, you will feel the lag, but you'll notice the lag becomes more consistent instead of randomized. This can help train towards the latency on some laggy servers on laggy Internet connections.

Predictable latency [e.g. consistent 40ms latency] trumps random latency [e.g. erratic 20ms-to-60ms jitter], so adding some fake lag sometimes are an equivalent to a human shock-absorber to erratic latency.

It does not always help, but it is an additional tool in the toolbox for problematic Internet connections.

I wish that more game servers had an optional option to level the playing field when many members of a server are on a crappy Internet connection -- because user preference may prefer high-but-consistent over low-but-erratic.

It's mostly an academic / fun testing exercise but improvements are noticeable if you have lots of latency jitter to a game server, in realizing that absolute latency isn't always the only number -- you also have latency variability/volatility caused by network jitter.

net_fakelag additional use -- is that it can also benefit local aim training (bots in CS:GO...) if you're training towards a server with a known lag. But, net_fakelag can act as a kind of latency jitter absorber for a crappy Internet connection to a crappy server. It's a rather interesting behavior.

Too bad this is not directly relevant to actual esports / competitive games (professional servers generally don't allow net_fakelag), but there has been a lot of complaints about Internet lagfeel problems -- that this can be an educational exercise of a consistent lagfeel tests.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

senny22

Re: Training for CS:GO with net_fakelag (observed pros)

Post by senny22 » 27 May 2020, 08:32

I've actually been experimenting with this command in CS:GO quite recently. The idea was to use it during bot practice to get the same circumstances as a real game.

One thing to note is that the fake latency gets double what you enter (net_fakelag 20 = ping of 40)

What I've noticed is that having a fake ping is way worse than having that same in a real game. I suspect it has something to do with lagcompensation in CSGO. So anyway, I disabled it because it felt like I had to aim "where the enemies were going heading" which wasn't the case playing actual games.

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 27 May 2020, 09:38

Fair play in CS:GO is possible only during offline tournaments. It is astonishing how this game behaves on different PC builds, inet connections and servers. I've tried it on few gaming rigs and different inet connections. You must be anointed or lucky, to have this game working correctly which means without any hitreg or desync issues.

If you're interested, then here you can find something about cl_clock_correction which valve for some reason is not going to make more flexible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... essed_yet/

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 28 May 2020, 02:55

This might be a solution for me. I have a very unstable ping (10-15ms Jitter).

Spacepotato87

Post by Spacepotato87 » 31 May 2020, 22:08

i used fake lag back in the days of cs 1.3 and 1.6 to train vs bot on my pc to have the same recoil as on the inet.
now with csgo, even on inet i would imagine the recoil pattern is the same for ping of 5 or a ping of 90. last time this was not the case.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 12 Jun 2020, 11:43

Are there external tools avaible that can smooth out my jitter? I would prefer a stable 60ms over an unstable 40ms ping.