Is it true Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel? Is there conclusive data to prove this?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
A Solid lad

Re: Is it true Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel? Is there conclusive data to prove this?

Post by A Solid lad » 20 Dec 2021, 09:44

@yehaw
You really like to win arguments, right?
That's alright.
Except this isn't the place to do it.

This forum has a different atmosphere, let's keep it that way please.
We are here to try and learn, and aslo to stay objective.

You are making baseless, nonsensical and simply untrue claims like:

"who is using an uncapped FPS?" - As someone has pointed out (although they exaggerated as well) very many CS players do.
"Majority of gamers are using VRR (GSYNC/FREESYNC) with an FPS cap following BlurBusters recommended settings." - No, that is the minority. Most gamers don't even have VRR capable hardware, not to mention use it.
And amongst VRR users, very little have any idea what BlurBusters is.
"Hell, 90% of games being released won't even let you uncap the FPS anymore!" - Outright wrong.
"I have a 2070 super and I can only push 200fps in CSGO." - Your GPU has little to do with how much FPS you get in CS:GO.
"So what's that leave you with? 1 game where you would notice a 4ms on average difference if we are to look a techcitys CSGO results?" - It leaves you with many titles which rely on CPU power when ran at low graphical settings, such as: CS:GO, Valorant, Rainbow6, Battllefield, Dota, LoL, etc.

...just so you can get the upper hand in the argument.
Stop it; try to stay objective and truthful, or don't say anything.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

yehaw

Re: Is it true Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel? Is there conclusive data to prove this?

Post by yehaw » 21 Dec 2021, 12:05

A Solid lad wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 09:44
@yehaw
You really like to win arguments, right?
Why are you coming in so defensive? Win an argument with who? My original post, I didn't even quote or reply to anyone.

I also find it funny going to your posts, your last posts were on a topic of using an fps cap to make the game feel and look smoother:
Quake Champions and Diabotical also have 250 as the default cap, that's why I tried it in CS and it works great.

I was sharing testing done by YouTubers that tested the theory and showed 0 difference when using 240hz with a cap. The only difference shown was a 4ms difference when uncapping FPS in CSGO.
As someone has pointed out (although they exaggerated as well) very many CS players do.
Just like I said to the last person that said that, I stated it's pointless to pick your platform based on this topic, useless unless you play CSGO primarily or want to go pro, hence using an uncapped FPS.
No, that is the minority. Most gamers don't even have VRR capable hardware, not to mention use it.
Really? Even console have VRR nowadays. It's become standard almost. VRR ships defaulted to ON with a lot of monitors! My G-Sync display was on out of the box. Who is buying a monitor without VRR nowadays, especially with all the freemium software versions? This is news to me, that VRR users are a minority! It's almost impossible to find a monitor that doesn't have VRR nowadays. :lol:
"Hell, 90% of games being released won't even let you uncap the FPS anymore!"
This isn't even debatable. If you look at the steam store, I guarantee you the majority of games have a frame rate cap that can not be removed compared to the small group of competitive titles that allow it. I can't even think of 10 games off the top of my head that allow an uncapped FPS, but I can tell you 20 that have capped frame rate just from my library alone.
Your GPU has little to do with how much FPS you get in CS:GO."
I know source is CPU bound engine, but your taking my comment out of context.
It leaves you with many titles which rely on CPU power when ran at low graphical settings, such as: CS:GO, Valorant, Rainbow6, Battllefield, Dota, LoL, etc.
Yeah, right, good luck averaging 400+ fps in a new battlefield game. It's a complete joke. You can only achieve this super high FPS is like 4-5 games, half of which people probably don't play. I play one game that I can uncap my FPS (Apex) and even then, it's glitched and everyone caps at 190 :lol:. As far as DOTA and LOL, I can agree there. The others I haven't played, so can't comment.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 21 Dec 2021, 21:32

Csgo have fps_max variable at 400 nowadays, for default. Earlier on, it was 300 for def

triplese

Post by triplese » 23 Dec 2021, 04:18

yehaw wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 12:05
I was sharing testing done by YouTubers that tested the theory and showed 0 difference when using 240hz with a cap. The only difference shown was a 4ms difference when uncapping FPS in CSGO.
There was some info from pros about uncapped FPS in CSGO is needed for faster and more precise user commands processing, not for input lag reduction.

PeterParker

Post by PeterParker » 26 Jan 2022, 23:52

I've read the posts on this threads and done some researches and it looks like old Intel CPUs (like a i9 9900k) have lower input lag and lower memory latency. With the new 12th gen, it appeared on some reviews that this new generation suffers from higer memory latency. Somehow will this impact on the input lag?

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 28 Jan 2022, 04:46

PeterParker wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 23:52
I've read the posts on this threads and done some researches and it looks like old Intel CPUs (like a i9 9900k) have lower input lag and lower memory latency. With the new 12th gen, it appeared on some reviews that this new generation suffers from higer memory latency. Somehow will this impact on the input lag?
Yep, it directly affects it.
You've probably read this, but if not, you should.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Liet1993

Post by Liet1993 » 28 Jan 2022, 19:07

How do you guys think Zen 4 will perform in regard to this?

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 09 Feb 2022, 05:37

Any LDAT testing of Intel vs AMD?

dervu

Post by dervu » 09 Feb 2022, 07:55

whitepuzzle wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 05:37
Any LDAT testing of Intel vs AMD?
Not LDAT, but not worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UhaZ8VT4fU&t=402s
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Feb 2022, 14:04

PeterParker wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 23:52
A Solid lad wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 04:46
Yep, it directly affects it.
You've probably read this, but if not, you should.
Anecdotal, but worth mentioning on this subject, I happen to have three separate MLC test captures across three Intel RAM configurations (and two separate Intel generations)...

1. Windows 10 w/i7-8700k + 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 @3200MHz 14-14-14-34:

2. Windows 11 w/i9-12900k + 32GB OLOy Blade RGB DDR5 @4800MHz 38-38-38-77:

3. Windows 11 w/i9-12900k + 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 @5600MHz 36-36-36-76:

I've also used an LDAT to test average input latency on my current rig and 240Hz monitor (specs in my sig), and the levels are the same or lower in the same games when compared to the rig in my original G-SYNC tests, and that was on a first-gen 240Hz TN panel paired with a 4770k and DDR3 memory (see full specs for that rig here: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/3/), so I think this whole subject is highly configuration and context-dependent, as well as extremely relative, be that Ryzen vs. Intel and/or older vs. newer gen.

As for DDR5 having higher memory latency (timings, specifically) over DDR4 and DDR3, it currently does where CL is concerned, but it's not always directly comparable:
https://www.crucial.com/articles/about- ... nd-latency
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)