Is it true Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel? Is there conclusive data to prove this?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

Re: Is it true Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel? Is there conclusive data to prove this?

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 20 Feb 2021, 22:54

v0HaVoK0v wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 10:12
Hey thanks for the response, so I tried dram calculator, I was wondering what these results look to you?
See where it says 'MEMbench mode' use the drop-down and select 'Latency' Once the test is done you'll want to look at Random Latency.

v0HaVoK0v

Re: Is it true Ryzen has higher input lag than Intel? Is there conclusive data to prove this?

Post by v0HaVoK0v » 21 Feb 2021, 12:15

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 22:54
v0HaVoK0v wrote:
Hey thanks for the response, so I tried dram calculator, I was wondering what these results look to you?
See where it says 'MEMbench mode' use the drop-down and select 'Latency' Once the test is done you'll want to look at Random Latency.
Ok, I done the test again using the latency option, I also adjusted some timings before this one, and at this point I'm not sure if I could get this any lower, pushing ram settings further causes instability for most things. It doesn't seem like much I do is making much of a difference to these latency results, would this be just a limitation with my CPU and RAM combination do you think? I know CPU is far from the best in today's standard, but unsure if it would be consider bad or not
Attachments
test2.png
test2.png (48.85 KiB) Viewed 7763 times

v0HaVoK0v

Post by v0HaVoK0v » 21 Feb 2021, 12:15

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 22:54
v0HaVoK0v wrote:
Ok, I done the test again using the latency option, I also adjusted some timings before this one, and at this point I'm not sure if I could get this any lower, pushing ram settings further causes instability for most things. It doesn't seem like much I do is making much of a difference to these latency results, would this be just a limitation with my CPU and RAM combination do you think? I know CPU is far from the best in today's standard, but unsure if it would be consider bad or not

theTDC

Post by theTDC » 17 Mar 2021, 12:54

Man, this entire thread is something else.

So for those who are confused, Ryzen having higher latency on some synthetic test... has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. Memory latency doesn't stack, the processor has cache FFS. Modern, heavily pipelined, superscalar, out of order CPU cores with MBs of multi-level cache have myriad ways of avoiding the latency from main memory, and AMD Ryzen CPUs having more cache than Intel CPUs means that they will, on average, have lower memory latency for every read/write, because a higher percentage of them are hitting ~50 cycle latency L3 cache as opposed to ~500 cycle latency main memory.

But then again, this is all coming from a guy with the username "schizobeyondpills," so it's pretty much what you'd expect.

jumpin666

Post by jumpin666 » 01 Jul 2021, 05:59

Hi all,

first post, thanks for all the gold informations around here, make my day.

gg wp!

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 16 Dec 2021, 06:13

I see the difference on the charts and benchmarks being posted where INTEL appears superior, but GamersNexus tested this where it actually matters, in games. There was practically no difference in all of his benchmarks, even AMD leading in some. What am I missing? Do we have to do 400 bios tweaks and 2 hour OS customization guides to see the difference? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYIlhzE72s

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 17 Dec 2021, 06:07

Found another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UhaZ8VT4fU

This time by techcity. He only saw a difference when playing CSGO with an uncapped FPS, so there might be some truth to this debate of Intel being more responsive for games. But it comes with a caveat, who is using an uncapped FPS? Majority of gamers are using VRR (GSYNC/FREESYNC) with an FPS cap following BlurBusters recommended settings. If you look at techcity results of capping at 240fps, there is zero difference in input lag between Intel vs AMD.

When we look at modern games, how many games can you even average 200+ fps? Hell, 90% of games being released won't even let you uncap the FPS anymore! I have a 2070 super and I can only push 200fps in CSGO. If you look at the average GPU on steam, it's a 1060! Even games like Apex are bugged above 190fps.

So what's that leave you with? 1 game where you would notice a 4ms on average difference if we are to look a techcitys CSGO results? I guess if you're trying to go pro in CSGO, then yeah, Intel is probably the better choice. If you're a variety gamer, it's pointless to pick platform based on this topic.

JDoe

Post by JDoe » 19 Dec 2021, 03:05

yehaw wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 06:07
But it comes with a caveat, who is using an uncapped FPS?
99% of CSGO players?

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 19 Dec 2021, 07:03

JDoe wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 03:05
yehaw wrote:
99% of CSGO players?
Most of players cap at 500 fps.

yehaw

Post by yehaw » 20 Dec 2021, 08:35

JDoe wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 03:05
yehaw wrote:
99% of CSGO players?
Yeah, I alluded to that in my last paragraph, or did you miss it? And I've read uncapped FPS in source engine games causes desyncing issues?

There are also videos like this that say uncapped FPS actually INTRODUCES more latency in some games:

https://youtu.be/VtSfjBfp1LA?t=166