Is it ok if my monitor's fps counter is exceeding my ingame fps counter?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
axaro1

Is it ok if my monitor's fps counter is exceeding my ingame fps counter?

Post by axaro1 » 01 Jul 2020, 03:54

I know that with Freesync I have to avoid reaching the maximum refresh rate and cap for example at 237fps with a 240hz monitor.

However when I cap the fps ingame to something like 237 it often exceed this value and almost constantly show 240fps in the Monitor's OSD counter (it is much more precise when I'm in the 60fps menu and it drops to 60hz with basically no fps fluctuations).

I tried to lower the fps cap down to 230hz and I still keep reaching 240hz in the monitor's fps counter, is Freesync not working correctly or is it normal behaviour?

I had this exact same issue with my XG2402, capping at 135 and still exceeding the fps cap in monitor's fps counter.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

jorimt

Re: Is it ok if my monitor's fps counter is exceeding my ingame fps counter?

Post by jorimt » 01 Jul 2020, 07:46

axaro1 wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 03:54
I know that with Freesync I have to avoid reaching the maximum refresh rate and cap for example at 237fps with a 240hz monitor.

However when I cap the fps ingame to something like 237 it often exceed this value and almost constantly show 240fps in the Monitor's OSD counter (it is much more precise when I'm in the 60fps menu and it drops to 60hz with basically no fps fluctuations).

I tried to lower the fps cap down to 230hz and I still keep reaching 240hz in the monitor's fps counter, is Freesync not working correctly or is it normal behaviour?

I had this exact same issue with my XG2402, capping at 135 and still exceeding the fps cap in monitor's fps counter.
There have been a lot of complaints about this; the monitor's refresh rate meter averages frames differently than system-side counters, and thus reflects more fluctuations and instability. It's honestly hard to say if these counters on FreeSync monitors are even accurate or worth looking at beyond confirming that VRR is active.

What do the system-side FPS counters show during these instances? Are they reflecting your set limit? If so, I'd say its probably safe to ignore the monitor's refresh rate meter.

I'll note here I've only ever had native G-SYNC monitors (w/module), and that when I started my original testing for the G-SYNC 101 article, my monitor's refresh rate meter was stable at -2 FPS, and never "spiked" past that, but after a Windows update, it started doing what you describe (to a lesser degree; it seems in-monitor FreeSync counters may be less reliable than in-monitor G-SYNC counters). That said, my tests showed that when these monitor refresh rate meter spikes occurred, it didn't affect actual input lag levels, so I'm guessing this is benign.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 01 Jul 2020, 08:00

jorimt wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 07:46
What do the system-side FPS counters show during these instances? Are they reflecting your set limit? If so, I'd say its probably safe to ignore the monitor's refresh rate meter.

I'll note here I've only ever had native G-SYNC monitors (w/module), and that when I started my original testing for the G-SYNC 101 article, my monitor's refresh rate meter was stable at -2 FPS, and never "spiked" past that, but after a Windows update, it started doing what you describe (to a lesser degree; it seems in-monitor FreeSync counters may be less reliable than in-monitor G-SYNC counters). That said, my tests showed that when these monitor refresh rate meter spikes occurred, it didn't affect actual input lag levels, so I'm guessing this is benign.
The system side fps counter does respect the limit, whether I use an ingame fps limiter or 3d party fps cap.

There are no tearing or artifacts (or even input lag issues), I just want to make sure that everything is working correctly.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Jul 2020, 09:41

axaro1 wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 08:00
The system side fps counter does respect the limit, whether I use an ingame fps limiter or 3d party fps cap.

There are no tearing or artifacts (or even input lag issues), I just want to make sure that everything is working correctly.
Then I'd say it's safe to ignore it for FPS monitoring-purposes. It's still useful for verifying VRR is engaged though; static: fixed refresh, fluctuating (not counting the "spikes" or possible misreads): VRR.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

masterkaj

Post by masterkaj » 12 Jul 2021, 12:16

Noticed the same issue in Warzone. I realized some spiking over is fine but I did notice hitting 144Hz (monitor v-sync cap) quite a bit. The in-game fps monitor never showed above 139 but my monitor kept saying it was going to 144Hz every second or so. I did some troubleshooting and realized it was the Overwolf overlay that was causing it to spike to 144Hz. Once I turned that off I see the occasional spike to 141-142Hz but at least it isn't bouncing off 144Hz anymore.

Whether or not it had any impact to input lag and was actually causing v-sync lag, I'm not sure. Better safe than sorry I guess.

TTT

Post by TTT » 13 Jul 2021, 05:58

My old Predator 240hz monitor had the original built in gsync module, the monitor fps counter on that was always spot on no matter how high or low the fps was.

I've since upgraded it to the newer IPS version but it isn't a built in Gsync module anymore and the counter is as you describe, it isn't reliable.

In COD I have the menu screen locked to 60fps and the monitor counter could still be showing 100+.

Just ignore it, use ingame/RTSS or Nvidia overlay if you want a counter on your screen.