NVIDIA Low Latency Mode - On or Off for less Input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
hyyliiight

Re: NVIDIA Low Latency Mode - On or Off for less Input lag?

Post by hyyliiight » 27 Jan 2021, 21:39

Hey guys, i am playing on a i5 9600k 5ghz All Core and a 1080 FE boosted to 1950mhz pubg on very Low Graphic settings. My Monitor is a benq xl2746s and i dont use any Blur reduction like dyac. Pubg is a very cpu bound Game i got very high cpu usage. Even tho i am playing competitive and in some Games the frames drop to 80 fps. Can you guys Tell me if i Should cap the frames + Low latency Mode Off/on/Ultra? Or uncapped and Off on Ultra? I dont Know what the Perfect settings would be for my System and the Game. Ty best regards guys Stay Save!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » 02 Feb 2021, 16:25

I'd like to know too. I'm playing Apex but all I had lately was old CPUs. I5-750, now Xeon 2640. I don't know what devs done but the game consumes sooo much CPU, I started to have stutters with i5. They're gone with Xeon (HT off), but once CPU usage hits 60+ it starts to add input delay, which throws me off really badly. The worst is that if you're on the edge of the map, and look towards the center of it, it's impossible to win 1v1 with someone that looks at the edge and don't have so much things to render.

I tried uncapped + reflex (I think it's default on in Apex), it was more "stable", but overall worse latency with random terrible moments. Capped with LLM ON is ok, but still feel these slowdowns depends where I look.

Anyway, that game is the worst FPS as for mouse feeling I've ever played, and not sure if any hardware upgrade/tweaks would make it to the point I'd say, "oh yea, now I can aim!". I enjoyed CS GO more on TV with fps drops than Apex on better monitor.

wiseude

Post by wiseude » 03 Aug 2021, 06:33

So v-sync globally (off ingame) with an fps cap below max refresh rate with LLM on ON universally is best for all games?(best frametimes?)
Battle nonsense says off for best frametimes but blurbusters suggest ON (if with an fps limiter)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 03 Aug 2021, 08:37

wiseude wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 06:33
So v-sync globally (off ingame) with an fps cap below max refresh rate with LLM on ON universally is best for all games?(best frametimes?)
Battle nonsense says off for best frametimes but blurbusters suggest ON (if with an fps limiter)
My LLM recommendations are only for G-SYNC.

LLM "On" is only "best" if you insist on using it with G-SYNC and want to set your own FPS limit. In supported games, when used with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC, LLM "Ultra" sets it's own auto FPS limit, which is lower than -3 FPS at higher than 120Hz refresh rates, and some users may prefer a higher or different limit of their own.

Also, G-SYNC or no G-SYNC, if the game has Reflex and you enable it, LLM is overridden anyway. LLM also doesn't work in DX12 or Vulkan games at all, and not all DX11 games even support LLM, and it's hard to tell which ones do on the fly.

Basically, LLM has a very limited use case, and that use case is typically for whenever you're GPU usage is maxed.

As for frametime performance, when LLM does work, if your system can't keep up with the decrease in pre-rendered frames, a frame will occasionally repeat as it waits for the next to be ready, causing stutter, which, in turn, can cause worse frametime performance on average. Perhaps this is why Battle(non)sense suggested LLM should be set to off in the instance you're mentioning.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)