Reducing Input Delay with Nvidia Inspector

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
MaxTendency

Reducing Input Delay with Nvidia Inspector

Post by MaxTendency » 30 Jul 2020, 00:29

I haven't found any threads on this topic but there seems to be a lot of "hidden" settings in nvidia inspector which can have significant impact on input delay. I will be including some custom profiles that gave me good results. Keep in mind that your game or system may not like the profile. So do your own testing.

How to use:
1. Download Nvidia Inspector
2. Back up/export your current profile incase you want to revert back to your current settings.
3. Import any of the profiles I provided in attachment. ( Click here to Download )
4. Press "Apply Changes".

Grey values mean they are default and black means they have been modified. You can click on the nvidia logo next to the modified value if you wish to reset that value back to default

If you do not like the changes you can simply import your backup profile back, or alternatively click on the nvidia logo on top which will reset everything back to default.

If you are losing significant fps on OpenGL or Vulkan games try resetting these 2 values back to default. I was getting 85 fps on Hyper Scape (Vulkan game) but after resetting these 2 values I got 160. However I think its worth noting that 85fps with the modified values was snappier compared to 160fps.

Some of the settings that I've been told help reduce input delay the most are buffers, mem allocation and forcing 1bit compression. Im not sure how correct that as I don't have much knowledge nor do I have the time to test each values one by one. I'm currently using "Low Latency High Perfomance v2" profile created by riot. I play Apex , QL and Diabotical, haven't tested any OpneGL or Vulkan games yet.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a separate note, one other "tweak" that helped alot with input delay was "DisableWriteCombining." Its an undocumented reg key that was posted on ocn, however the post got deleted.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\nvlddmkm]
"DisableWriteCombining"=dword:00000001
I copy pasted the wrong path on my initial post, it has been edited it to the correct path (services\nvlddmkm) now.

This will reduce your fps. On my 1050 ti I lost about 4-5% fps however input was much more snappier. It might scale differently depending on your card. Also you NEED to restart your pc after creating the reg key for it to take effect.

[This reg key apparently doesn't work on 451.48 or newer nvidia drivers]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Some info on specific settings copy-pasted from here

Frame Rate Limiters and Frame Rate Controls
Frame Rate Limiter - This parameter, other than allowing the user to cap the fps, sets FRL 1.0 in all applications. FRL is a feature in the driver that dynamically caps framerate for stability purposes. Setting this to Off allows unrestricted render on the GPU (without frametimes check). What can be expected depending on the game: better or worse frametimes, better or worse latency.

Frame Rate Limiter Mode - This parameter, other than allowing the user to cap the fps, sets FRL 2.0 in all applications. This acts in a similar way but it's supposedly a better version of FRL 1.0. Setting this to Limiter V2 - Force Off will instead make use FRL 1.0.

Frame Rate Limiter V3 - This acts similarly to FRL 1.0 and FRL 2.0 but it's an even newer version. Setting to Off enables FRL 2.0 instead.

Frame Rate Monitor - Frame shifting settings for framerate control. What can be expected depending on the game: This can affect FBO in pretty unknown ways. According to specifications and practice, it is not 100% clear how this could affect performance, but it surely can affect how the frames look like on screen (the "smoothness").

Frame Rate Monitor Control - Specifies the way of controlling framerate control in combination with the several shifting settings. What can be expected depending on the game: Input changes (usually worse) and smoothness changes (usually better).

Buffers
What to expect when changing all these values: The lower, the better input and the worse fps. The higher, the better fps and the worse input.

OGL_PULL_MEM_BUFFER_SHARED_THRESHOLD - This controls a dynamic threshold by setting a value to which the memory pull buffer "moves". Not adviced to set this below 0x00000080.

OGL_PULL_MEM_DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE - Default memory pull buffer size (starting value). Not adviced to set this below 0x00000080.

MCFORCEHOSTSTAGINGBUFFERSIZE - Sets the Host Staging Buffer Size. This is a global buffer that changes pretty much everything in the GPU queue. Not adviced to set this below 0x00000020.

MAX_PENDING_CMD_BUFFERS - Sets the max pending command buffers that are allowed at the same time. Not adviced to set this below 0x00000001.

Async Values
What to expect when changing all these values: Async values on OFF or Force Sync always provide the best input, but might cause fps drops, stuttering or frametimes issues depending on the game.

ASYNC10_ENABLE - Controls Async10 mode (technically for DX10 and higher).

ASYNC10_NVAPI_MODE - Controls Async10 NVAPI Mode (use 0x00000000 when forcing off).

ASYNC10_OOO_QUERY_LIMIT - Query limit when using Async10 (the maximum amount of elements in the async buffer, before discharging). Not adviced to set this below 0x00000020.

ASYNC10_PRESENT_MODE - Present mode for Async10 (WARNING: crashes NVIDIA Inspector after applying if used in latest graphics drivers).

ASYNC9_ENABLE - Controls Async9 mode (technically for DX9, 9.x, 9Ex, Aero Extensions in Win7 and below).

ASYNC9_PRESENT_MODE - Present mode for Async9.

NVIDIA Control Panel settings
SILK Smoothness - Unlock by putting EnableRID61684 dword in (driver service)\FTS and set to 1. SILK Smoothness creates a smoothing post-processing buffer and uses motion estimation techniques to reduce microstuttering. Programs and games need a special flag named "SILK Test App" for this to work. Enabling / increasing this can cause input problems in specific games.

Low Latency Mode - Limits GPU's flip queue (prerendered frames) according to this value. Ultra means the flip queue should be 1.

Attachments
Custom Profiles.7z
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 2312 times
Last edited by MaxTendency on 25 Aug 2020, 14:34, edited 5 times in total.

Conan

Re: Reducing Input Delay with Nvidia Inspector

Post by Conan » 30 Jul 2020, 03:59

I'd do that but I wish to know more in depth what I'm doing and what does that specific command do :D

MaxTendency

Post by MaxTendency » 30 Jul 2020, 07:24

Conan wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 03:59
I'd do that but I wish to know more in depth what I'm doing and what does that specific command do :D
Same here, which is why I made this post, to shed more public light onto the subject. No one "really" knows what they are doing as alot of these settings are undocumented. Anyways you can backup your current profile and go back to it if you don't like the changes.

Happyalive

Post by Happyalive » 31 Jul 2020, 07:17

Inspector is really annoying to test. Feels like something that has to be retested constantly, but w/e. Which of the memory allication options have you liked the most? I tested them out and aggressive pre allocation felt the best (input wise). Not sure if i psyopsed myself because of naming scheme, I'll continue testing whenever I play new game and when I get new pc.

MaxTendency

Post by MaxTendency » 31 Jul 2020, 07:51

Happyalive wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 07:17
Inspector is really annoying to test. Feels like something that has to be retested constantly, but w/e. Which of the memory allication options have you liked the most? I tested them out and aggressive pre allocation felt the best (input wise). Not sure if i psyopsed myself because of naming scheme, I'll continue testing whenever I play new game and when I get new pc.
I personally use moderate as it was the snappiest for me. However I didnt bench fps and I don't have the equipment to empirically bench input delay.

This is a post that maybe worth looking into. This user benched fps and frametimes and moderate seems like it had the best results.

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 03 Aug 2020, 08:30

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\services\nvlddmkm]
I cant find this in my registry.

MaxTendency

Post by MaxTendency » 03 Aug 2020, 09:32

Simon95 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 08:30
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\services\nvlddmkm]
I cant find this in my registry.
Oh my god. Even after editing I realized that path is not correct :shock:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\nvlddmkm

This is the correct path. Things should look like this if done correctly. You obviously need nvidia gpu for this , as well as restart pc for it to apply.

Sorry for baiting everyone with the incorrect path, not once but twice :(

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 03 Aug 2020, 10:30

I dont have "DisableWriteCombining". Should i create a new registry key?

MaxTendency

Post by MaxTendency » 03 Aug 2020, 13:15

Simon95 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 10:30
I dont have "DisableWriteCombining". Should i create a new registry key?
Yes create a DWORD, and then restart pc. You should lose a mesureable amount of fps (4-5% for me) but input should feel snappier. You can then delete the key if you want to revert back.

Rallaz

Post by Rallaz » 03 Aug 2020, 14:50

Hio! Intersting things here! Do you know what some of your other tweaks in there are? I can't seem to find'em on my 1080ti

DisableKmRender (0)
DisableKmRenderBoost (0)
EnableDirectFlip (1)
EnableIndependentFlip (1)
EnablePerformanceMode (1)

I just tried the tweak you mentioned I'm not sure if I can feel any difference yet. I don't see any improvement in FPS on Rocket League I got like 1800fps

i9 9900K
gtx 1080ti 11gb oc aero
4666mhz ram

kind regards