Rocket League runs 144 fps but feels like 60fps

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
infraa

Rocket League runs 144 fps but feels like 60fps

Post by infraa » 30 Jul 2020, 14:58

Hi, i got Acer predator 144 HZ and when i play RL with 140+ fps with V-sync OFF it feels like 60 fps. But if i enable V -SYNC it feels smooth, this is just as it should be!

No matter G SYNC ON OR OFF it happens anyways.

Its RL fault? or is normal? Am i having inputlag with 142 fps with v sync enabled?

By the way is not very important input lag in RL.

Thanks,

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Rocket League runs 144 fps but feels like 60fps

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jul 2020, 15:06

infraa wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 14:58
Its RL fault? or is normal? Am i having inputlag with 142 fps with v sync enabled?
Fluidity and lag can be two very different things -- you can have low input lag but worse fluidity, or vice versa. There are situations that stutters/fluidity problems can worsen human-reaction-times, and VSYNC OFF can be quite stuttery in some games due to that.

If you want the lowest-lag "non-VSYNC-OFF" technology, use VRR and cap RL to 142. VRR is lower lag than VSYNC ON, even if it's a smidge more lag than VSYNC OFF. The fluidity can be very important for Rocket League, increasing your reaction time and quicker ball tracking.

Most Acer Predators have a VRR technology such as FreeSync or G-SYNC, so enable that if you want to reduce input lag for any "non-VSYNC-OFF" technology.

Bear in mind, sometimes VRR visually looks best (least stutters, smoothest motion) with an opposing setting:
- Enable VSYNC ON in NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center
- Enable VSYNC OFF in-game
- Use an in-game frame rate cap (~2fps-3fps below Hz at 144Hz)

An alternative is to increase Hz. There is fewer stutters at higher fixed Hz than lower fixed Hz. 200fps is smoother at 240Hz than 200fps at 144Hz, due to smaller refresh granularity.

If you're not using VRR, you can use HOWTO: Low-Lag VSYNC ON HOWTO but VRR is lower lag than VSYNC ON.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

infraa

Post by infraa » 30 Jul 2020, 17:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 15:06
infraa wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 14:58
Fluidity and lag can be two very different things -- you can have low input lag but worse fluidity, or vice versa. There are situations that stutters/fluidity problems can worsen human-reaction-times, and VSYNC OFF can be quite stuttery in some games due to that.

If you want the lowest-lag "non-VSYNC-OFF" technology, use VRR and cap RL to 142. VRR is lower lag than VSYNC ON, even if it's a smidge more lag than VSYNC OFF. The fluidity can be very important for Rocket League, increasing your reaction time and quicker ball tracking.

Most Acer Predators have a VRR technology such as FreeSync or G-SYNC, so enable that if you want to reduce input lag for any "non-VSYNC-OFF" technology.

Bear in mind, sometimes VRR visually looks best (least stutters, smoothest motion) with an opposing setting:

An alternative is to increase Hz. There is fewer stutters at higher fixed Hz than lower fixed Hz. 200fps is smoother at 240Hz than 200fps at 144Hz, due to smaller refresh granularity.

If you're not using VRR, you can use HOWTO: Low-Lag VSYNC ON HOWTO but VRR is lower lag than VSYNC ON.
Thanks, i did exactly what you said but game stills going no-smooth. Its weird because if i play cs go, or any game with v-sync off and 142 fps it goes too smooth. I think is Rocket league issue.

So i think there's nothing to do. The best way i run RL 100% smooth is with v-Sync activated.

Thank you by te way!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jul 2020, 21:15

To reduce lag while keeping framerate=Hz smoothness, you may want to use the Low Lag VSYNC HOWTO, while also enabling NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency feature. Another option is RTSS' Scanline Sync feature.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 31 Jul 2020, 22:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 15:06
Not sure if you are aware of this but turning vsync on in the amd control panel only works for games that use opengl so for any modern games enabling vsync in game is the only option.