Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
dendu

Re: Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Post by dendu » 04 Sep 2020, 21:36

Aizuked wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 14:07
But the thing is that they’ve featured a Pci-pcie card made by elfidelity(can be found easily on aliexpress) that in theory eliminates most of the dirty power our computers have. Upon googling their other products I’ve stumbled onto a usb pci card of theirs that they claim to do exactly the same.
Thanks for sharing these interesting products you stumbled upon. Gives me ideas/motivation to test some more things out.

They also have a product for fans as well. I have come across posts on how fan settings/wiring could cause changes in mouse feel and tinkered for a while. I could feel mouse differences with disabling qfan/smart fan control, moving the power to the molex connectors, using external wall wart power, changing fan wire to shielded one and adjusting routing and grounding of this wire (i thought i fixed problem with this one). I have low end hardware and can run temporarily without any gpu or cpu fans, which does not drastically improve things. But I'm still curious about adding shielding and capacitors to the fan circuits.

These products may make your audio sound better and can cause the mouse to behave differently, but I'm not so sure if they can permanently alleviate inconsistency in mouse behavior/feel.

I sense that many of us have tried all sorts of things and share similar experiences, anytime there is a improvement in "mouse feel", we are disappointed sometime later when the "good feeling" is no more. I still like to learn about and also share tinkering attempts as it is interesting to me and sometimes helps makes controlling the mouse less effort intensive.

The issue is elusive and others are diligently searching for the cause, which unfortunately might be out of our hands to fix if you only have the option of using AC mains and are limited to one power plant/company.

---

Looking through more products, there is also a brand "Intona" which make USB galvanic isolators. I still feel skeptical that it could fix mouse behavior, but it would be so cool if a solution is just plugging in a device like this: https://kitsunehifi.com/product/intona-usb/

snooplion

Post by snooplion » 05 Sep 2020, 00:38

For me, i have felt that my mouse/keyboard has significant input lag after 2017.
I've since built 3 pc's and feel input lag on every pc i've had..

First time when i read about EMI/poor grounding and how it might be the cause for input lag/microstuttering was back in 2019 and at that time i thought i'll just look for new apartment in hopes that it fixes it.

I moved to new apartment mid 2019 and everything felt just as shit so i basicly gave up since i didnt know what could cause this issue anymore and during this time i started to think maybe its all in my head but recently i had friend coming over to try my pc and he was wondering how can i even play with this shit.

If i record POV demos in CSGO they ALWAYS look somewhat stuttery
https://youtu.be/pUy-ruykawk
https://youtu.be/0zIB2GlsSzI (focus your eyes on containers/edges, @ pistol round everything looks smooth but then goes to shit)

Could i just have EMI or poor grounding that causes this issue in both apartments i've recently lived? I've only read about this one guy who had similar issue
by ex4mple » 23 Apr 2020, 05:33
Hello everyone, I encountered this problem after moving and have been following similar forums for 3 years and I want to share my observations with you, maybe this can shed light on the problem. many people did not fix this problem by moving and I was successful only in the third apartment, from here I can conclude that this is a complex problem, I think that this is the result of some kind of electromagnetic interference + high-impedance grounding that prevents the interference from leaving the PC, I made this conclusion since I tested in 2 apartments where there is no ground and this problem was there, but as soon as I arrived at the apartment with good ground the problem went away.
After that, I decided to try to make grounding from the PC directly using a copper wire and an iron battery that should have contact with the ground and this manipulation only helps for 30 minutes and I can’t understand why it seems to me that the noise goes away from the PC but then something happens and it returns, maybe first you need to remove the source of interference and only then do grounding, I hope we find the answer
^ he has ~13k csgo hours, 5667 faceit matches with 1.5 K/D so im pretty sure he can feel whenever his mouse is not moving like it should :-)

dervu

Post by dervu » 05 Sep 2020, 08:45

I can tell that I had this one day when everything seemed perfect and one thing was outstanding in internet statistics this day. It was retransmissions being 0. Every other day there was some retransmission, even if it was 0.02% of all packets.

I made some tests using fiber media converters to see what can happen.
I was using these converters: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-net ... ry/mc220l/
They work like this: ethernet <-> converter <-> fiber <-> converter <-> ethernet.

3 scenarios:
2 converters in same room as my PC, connected to other power socket through power conditioner
1 converter in same room as my PC connected as above, 1 converter in other room where my router is
2 converters in other room where my router is

I found little difference between all 3 scenarios, but overall it was worse playing CSGO with converters than without them.
There was no difference in any packet loss or retransmits amount.
In gameplay I could feel unsmoothness, timing of peeks felt weird and mouse movement was unsmooth too. I could see player models behaving weird.

My only answer to this is interference coming from AC adapters.
I hoped for better, but seems like any interference coming to my system is causing havoc.

Seems that this guy had similiar experience:
https://www.emfanalysis.com/why-gigabit ... reate-emi/
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

dendu

Post by dendu » 06 Sep 2020, 19:40

dervu wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 08:45
Just tried testing, I can "feel" mousing differences when changing network adapter speed in device manager from 1.0gbps/100mbps/10mbps in csgo.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 06 Sep 2020, 21:11

dendu wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:40
dervu wrote:
Just tried testing, I can "feel" mousing differences when changing network adapter speed in device manager from 1.0gbps/100mbps/10mbps in csgo.
turning off router modem pull out all cable from internet same issue

deama

Post by deama » 07 Sep 2020, 10:12

dendu wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:40
dervu wrote:
How did you change it? I can't find an option for my network adapter in device manager.

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 07 Sep 2020, 13:37

You guys are going to be here till the end of time if you continue messing around with software in hopes that it will do something permanent. Just about any software setting changes will alter how the mouse functions, or how the other issues manifest but only temporarily. I cannot explain why this is the case other than that whatever the cause is has strange symptoms. I believe maybe these slight changes alter the flow of stray currents. Anyway were capturing more and more data on the harmonic discrepancies here so soon we may be able to track down whats causing it.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 07 Sep 2020, 18:46

nuggify wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 13:37
You guys are going to be here till the end of time if you continue messing around with software in hopes that it will do something permanent. Just about any software setting changes will alter how the mouse functions, or how the other issues manifest but only temporarily. I cannot explain why this is the case other than that whatever the cause is has strange symptoms. I believe maybe these slight changes alter the flow of stray currents. Anyway were capturing more and more data on the harmonic discrepancies here so soon we may be able to track down whats causing it.
gl mate

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 07 Sep 2020, 20:10

nuggify wrote:
Anyway were capturing more and more data on the harmonic discrepancies here so soon we may be able to track down whats causing it.
This is known. There are a lot of them.
example.
Adjustable electric drives (Frequency converter included in their composition).
Soft starter (SCP).
electromagnetic choke for discharge lamps.
And these are just a few examples of household appliances that are definitely in the apartments of neighbors.
If anything from the list is connected to the transformer, more harmonics will appear.

There is a way out - your own transformer.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 07 Sep 2020, 21:19

1000WATT wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:10
nuggify wrote:
Anyway were capturing more and more data on the harmonic discrepancies here so soon we may be able to track down whats causing it.
This is known. There are a lot of them.
example.
Adjustable electric drives (Frequency converter included in their composition).
Soft starter (SCP).
electromagnetic choke for discharge lamps.
And these are just a few examples of household appliances that are definitely in the apartments of neighbors.
If anything from the list is connected to the transformer, more harmonics will appear.

There is a way out - your own transformer.
Yes I am aware but whatever is causing this, is cause for a very very high amount of current waveform distortion. 70%+ THD. There is a pulsing element to the data they have gathered as well, which the engineer is scratching his head at trying to figure out. You didn't even mention SMPS electronics in your list there- one of the largest contributors to harmonic distortion.