Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Ekwalipt

Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Post by Ekwalipt » 05 Aug 2020, 12:15

Hello. I am from Russla and my goal is to convey information to most people about input lag. Input lag has been bothering me for 13 years(since the very first purchase of a computer) During this time, I changed 4 computers, and a bunch of mice with keyboards, as well as 3 monitors, I will not even talk about windows and bios settings, this does not reduce the input lag in any way.

People should know that their level of play is actually much, much higher than they think.

I checked several apartments of friends and acquaintances in my city and spent a lot of time watching players in the spectator or on streams. I made sure that most people have a large input lag, which should not be, and which eSports players do not have.

I will say right away that the monitor delay is correctly called Output lag, because the monitor is an output device and Output lag does not present critical problems. A serious problem is the input lag of input devices (mouse, keyboard, gamepad), and to be more precise, the problem lies in the processing of the input signal.

I shot a lot of videos about how the physics of the game changes from input lag, I'll show them in this topic:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udq7wuv_Ano&t=45s (The most important)
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDYSu-TU25w (The most important)
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3-PpV3 ... e=emb_logo
4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1_CLLFyNc&t=1s

Most of all I want to draw your attention to the video with the number 1, please use the translation into English subtitles to make it easier for you:

At 1:25, I show what the monitor's Output lag is(mistakenly called input lag)

At 3:29, I show what Input lag is (the Real input lag and how it manifests). I show the example of CS GO and Assasins Creed origins, because in AC origins input lag is artificially increased and it can be easily seen even by an inexperienced player.(THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS IN CS GO AND IN GENERAL IN ALL GAMES, ONLY THE EYE DOES NOT NOTICE IT, BECAUSE IN SHOOTERS INPUT LAG IS NOT NOTICEABLE TO THE EYE, BUT IN AC ORIGINS AND SIMILAR GAMES INPUT LAG CAN BE SEEN VISUALLY)

I will tell you briefly:
With the Output lag (1:25) of the monitor, all movements in the game exactly correspond to the mouse movement on the Mat, but there is a slight time lag. Output lag will NOT make itself felt when you normally record a game on Bandicam or Fraps.

When input lag (3:29) of input devices is also present a slight delay, but the speed of movement in the game slows down(limited, breaks off, floats, uneven, slowed down). The faster the mouse moves on the Mat, the slower the movement in the game. Input lag will make itself felt when recording the game on Bandicam or Fraps. You will see a difference in the physics and behavior of the game.(WATCH THE VIDEO WITH NUMBER 2)

Video number 2 is a video of the same person. It has input lag on the right and no input lag on the left . Note that the physics on the right is floating and slow. It is not possible to perform sharp and fast movements, such as on the left:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3-PpV3 ... e=emb_logo

As I said, my goal is to break through this gllobal problem with input lag to the masses, so that people know that in fact their level of play is much, much higher than they think. All eSports players are ordinary people who have ideal conditions for playing (input lag is 0), which is why there are very few eSports players, because there are very few people who do not have Input lag(you Need perfect electricity without electromagnetic interference). Some people have less Input lag, others have more, and eSports players do not have any at all, and this is unfair.
Last edited by Ekwalipt on 29 Aug 2020, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

senny22

Re: Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Post by senny22 » 05 Aug 2020, 17:29

So what are some things you could do to fix or alleviate this problem besides fixing your electricity?

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 05 Aug 2020, 18:04

GJ mate very good explanation about that problem people need to understand why somebody with 5000 hours is shit and why somebody is god this input lag killing me for 3 years and them when everything was sharp is prety much gone even with best pc and fresh instal windows// People try everything to reduce they input lag changing ram timing fucking DMW disable or idk what else but normal person who had no issue at all never touch this shit and has better input like most of them it was never about changing something in bios windows for better input it was always about something else what cost this input lag issue something is interrupt this clean signal

PixelDuck87

Post by PixelDuck87 » 05 Aug 2020, 19:39

I actually noticed that too in CSGO when I move my mouse from side to side really fast, it's like the game can't keep up with the mouse movement or something...

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 05 Aug 2020, 20:50

PixelDuck87 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 19:39
I actually noticed that too in CSGO when I move my mouse from side to side really fast, it's like the game can't keep up with the mouse movement or something...
you can try in windows to its random during a day sometimes is crisp and snappy sometimes is slow and floatly for me is prety much always slow na floatly

Kertwaii

Post by Kertwaii » 05 Aug 2020, 21:24

When they guy moved mouse quickly in CS:GO and camera angle change in-game became smaller it could be the game smoothing.
A proper test would be to rotate camera in game using some software at different speeds and see if if there's any influence.

Ekwalipt

Post by Ekwalipt » 05 Aug 2020, 23:20

The problem is that you need to use the mouse. You need two mechanisms that will move the mouse left to right for a given value for a player with input lag and for a player without input lag.

I didn't find any such mechanisms. Maybe you will have ideas how it can be made, or to order something to ask engineers to design it, but this is a long story.

To see the presence of input lag, you need to look not at the width of the mouse, but at how abruptly it begins to move and how abruptly it stops. A floating effect with a strong input lag will be noticeable immediately, no matter whether the sensitivity is the same or different.

I used the same sensitivity with my opponent, and the difference is huge, but breadth is not the main thing to pay attention to. The main thing is sharpness, not breadth.

To drive at this latitude, I need to apply more speed on the Mat and more distance, because of this, it will seem on the video that I am driving the mouse slowly, because it will be very slow, I adjusted exactly to the maximum frequency of turns, that is, I drove the mouse as my opponent.

purplew

Post by purplew » 05 Aug 2020, 23:26

I'm unable to understand what you're saying from your post and videos.

Ekwalipt

Post by Ekwalipt » 05 Aug 2020, 23:37

senny22 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:29
So what are some things you could do to fix or alleviate this problem besides fixing your electricity?
There are no official decisions yet. On Russlan-language and foreign forums write that the input lag can be reduced to a minimum with the purchase of a high-quality UPS, installation of manual ferrite rings on the wires, shielding the wires, changing the apartment.

Ekwalipt

Post by Ekwalipt » 05 Aug 2020, 23:53

purplew wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:26
I'm unable to understand what you're saying from your post and videos.
There are 2 types of lag. Input lag (occurs when entering the mouse, keyboard, or gamepad) and Output lag (occurs when output is displayed on the monitor - depends on the monitor)

Input lag slows down mouse input, reduces the sharpness of turns, and creates a floating sensation. Noticeable when recording on bandicam or Fraps (video number 2 and others)

Output lag does not slow down the mouse, does not change the physics of input, sharpness remains the same, but there is only a temporary delay.(Video number 1 At 1:25 ) When recording to bandicam or Fraps, the Output lag cannot be seen. You can only see by looking at the monitor with your eyes.