Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Unixko

Re: Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Post by Unixko » 06 Aug 2020, 00:05

purplew wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:26
I'm unable to understand what you're saying from your post and videos.
if you dont have any problem with mouse floatly and input lag you dont know what he is trying to show
first you need to understand how normal mouse should act then you need find a guy who has problem with mouse floatly and input lag and visit him in personal and trying his mouse keyboard display how its feels like and then you realize a difference between normal and fucked up because is rly hard to record something even with 1000FPs camera to show a difference between this two its like having back on your back you can move but you feel its harder like something is slowing you down but its not hardware or software or internet

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Aug 2020, 12:57

Terminologically, we use the phrase "display latency" to describe the latency of the display subsystem.

However, that can be extended from the driver output to the display itself, given the special interactions of sync technologies (VSYNC OFF, VSYNC ON, FreeSync, G-SYNC, Fast Sync, etc), in how driver output can modify display latency behaviors.

Generally, it is best to stick to more common industry standard terminology that readers are more familiar with, while expanding upon its meaning...

amezibra

Post by amezibra » 06 Aug 2020, 15:27

Ekwalipt wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:20

I didn't find any such mechanisms. Maybe you will have ideas how it can be made, or to order something to ask engineers to design it, but this is a long story.
you can use a titan 2 from consoletuner, it as a multi hid output and can replay whatever hid you want.

you can also do this with an arduino or any QMK keyboard by compiling a specific firmware..

deama

Post by deama » 07 Aug 2020, 07:53

Ekwalipt wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:37
senny22 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:29
So what are some things you could do to fix or alleviate this problem besides fixing your electricity?
There are no official decisions yet. On Russlan-language and foreign forums write that the input lag can be reduced to a minimum with the purchase of a high-quality UPS, installation of manual ferrite rings on the wires, shielding the wires, changing the apartment.
Have there been noticeable improvements from using a UPS and ferrite rings or is it just speculation?

dervu

Post by dervu » 07 Aug 2020, 09:34

I had input lag problems, especially inconsistency in mouse feel. I got rid most of it by resolving issue with I/O backplate prongs fitting into wrong places probably causing shorts. I would change Spread Spectum on/off and feel difference, but not after resolving issue.
For now it is gone, nothing is changing in day to day game, but one thing is still giving me headache.

Smart fan option in UEFI. Turning it off making fans go full speed (which would theoretically make EMI higher?) makes a small but noticeble difference in mouse feel, not consistency of movement but reaction/speed. Turning it back on makes it slower.
I could feel this difference in much bigger scale before resolving I/O backplate issue.

It makes me wonder, is there still something about electricity or is something screwed up with my fans. One of fans reports weirdly high rpm at times. This guy had something similiar about fans:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... oblem.html

I have power conditioner, if it makes any difference it would be very subtle.

One more thing. Before I had current PC I was playing on laptop. I had chance to play on this laptop while in newly build apartment with decent ISP and it felt easier even thought I was using just touchpad.

The thing is it takes a lot of effort and time to compare this. First you need two apartments or one apartment and person who would give you space on other/new apartment, moving hardware between locations, somehow measuring it...
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 07 Aug 2020, 14:37

dervu wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 09:34
I had input lag problems, especially inconsistency in mouse feel. I got rid most of it by resolving issue with I/O backplate prongs fitting into wrong places probably causing shorts. I would change Spread Spectum on/off and feel difference, but not after resolving issue.
For now it is gone, nothing is changing in day to day game, but one thing is still giving me headache.

Smart fan option in UEFI. Turning it off making fans go full speed (which would theoretically make EMI higher?) makes a small but noticeble difference in mouse feel, not consistency of movement but reaction/speed. Turning it back on makes it slower.
I could feel this difference in much bigger scale before resolving I/O backplate issue.

It makes me wonder, is there still something about electricity or is something screwed up with my fans. One of fans reports weirdly high rpm at times. This guy had something similiar about fans:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... oblem.html

I have power conditioner, if it makes any difference it would be very subtle.

One more thing. Before I had current PC I was playing on laptop. I had chance to play on this laptop while in newly build apartment with decent ISP and it felt easier even thought I was using just touchpad.

The thing is it takes a lot of effort and time to compare this. First you need two apartments or one apartment and person who would give you space on other/new apartment, moving hardware between locations, somehow measuring it...
how did you manage fix your I/O backplate to get better any screenshot how should looks like or what did you change

howiec

Post by howiec » 07 Aug 2020, 16:05

I understand what the OP is trying to say but really the end result of "floaty" or "sluggish" mouse feel almost certainly depends on ALL factors, not just what OP is referring to as input vs output.

I've noticed in Apex Legends that anything affecting your PC's performance (HW/SW) will affect the game's mouse feel. It's crazy but even changing process priorities yet keeping FPS cap, sensitivities, and CPIs, etc. all the same will alter the mouse "sens" or feel.

This may be due to a variety of reasons but I'm guessing the game engine (modified Source) is a huge factor if it doesn't do a good job decoupling mouse "look" to FPS, internal physics, movement, etc.

Ultimately, you want to minimize latency in EVERY aspect of your PC including that of your monitor.

dendu

Post by dendu » 08 Aug 2020, 20:51

deama wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 07:53
Ekwalipt wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:37
senny22 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:29
So what are some things you could do to fix or alleviate this problem besides fixing your electricity?
There are no official decisions yet. On Russlan-language and foreign forums write that the input lag can be reduced to a minimum with the purchase of a high-quality UPS, installation of manual ferrite rings on the wires, shielding the wires, changing the apartment.
Have there been noticeable improvements from using a UPS and ferrite rings or is it just speculation?
I have the good mouse feeling from adding ferrite ring cores to the mouse and ethernet cables. Definitely worth trying out, you can sometimes find clip-on rings from old power supply bricks and chargers. Not sure if it lowers input lag, but it has a noticeable effect on mouse control/floatiness for me.

Try looping the mouse cable like in the image and adjusting the size and placement of the loop.

On my setup, the looped ferrite ring is velcro strapped to the built-in ferrite ring of the monitor cable, which is about 10cm from the usb plug end and the loop is about 5cm in diameter and hanging vertically down, also instead of an additional smaller ferrite ring on the end of the mouse cable, one is placed on the looped portion.

Have to experiment a bit, at least you don't need to keep rebooting to test changes (in-game ideally). I came across the ferrite core suggestion from another post on this board and want to say thanks to all for sharing the good info!

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 08 Aug 2020, 21:27

howiec wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 16:05
I understand what the OP is trying to say but really the end result of "floaty" or "sluggish" mouse feel almost certainly depends on ALL factors, not just what OP is referring to as input vs output.

I've noticed in Apex Legends that anything affecting your PC's performance (HW/SW) will affect the game's mouse feel. It's crazy but even changing process priorities yet keeping FPS cap, sensitivities, and CPIs, etc. all the same will alter the mouse "sens" or feel.

This may be due to a variety of reasons but I'm guessing the game engine (modified Source) is a huge factor if it doesn't do a good job decoupling mouse "look" to FPS, internal physics, movement, etc.

Ultimately, you want to minimize latency in EVERY aspect of your PC including that of your monitor.
fuck this latency i had 50 average on latency moon we talking about legit input lag or something what is messing with usb port display port everything for me for example when i use 2 outlets 1 for pc internet and 1 for display during a day is prety much playable there is some input like its not 100% but its playable on the other side when is 2:00 AM my mouse start become extreme floatly unplayable and this feeling end in 6:00 AM when i use 1 outlet with connector with is all connected there display internet and pc during a day is mouse and everything else slow delayed but when a night start like 0:00 my mouse become crisp and snappy for 6 hours and then again shit
so i rly dont what to do about that

dervu

Post by dervu » 09 Aug 2020, 05:18

I don't have any photos of I/O shield. All I can tell is that you have little prongs on it. One prong that supposed to be touching outer side of USB port was going inbetween USB ports, it looked almost like it went inside. I took it off and cut it out.
One interesting thing is that I found on MSI forums person who a little similiar problem with B450 board, but with intereference in his speakers. He would take off his I/O shield and it magically disappeared, turns out it was onboard audio causing weird things. He went for USB DAC, leaving I/O shield in place. I have USB DAC too, onboard audio turned off.

I am still wondering if the thing I had (I/O shield) could cause some damage that would result in weirdly working system.
Since I bought my PC I had problems with RAM beeps from time to time and it turned out RAM to be faulty (shop said it was very common with this models) and then I got new RAM and had it stick to 1.4V instead of 1.36V to keep it stable on 3200MHz.

@Unixko If it is repeating as you say, every day at same hours, I would say it is something out of your control.
Check this thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... -loss.html
There are people who went so far to get to know that it can be neighborhood problem rather than apartment problem.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor