Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Unixko

Re: Input lag and eSport. Every gamer should know this.

Post by Unixko » 09 Aug 2020, 05:51

dervu wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 05:18
I don't have any photos of I/O shield. All I can tell is that you have little prongs on it. One prong that supposed to be touching outer side of USB port was going inbetween USB ports, it looked almost like it went inside. I took it off and cut it out.
One interesting thing is that I found on MSI forums person who a little similiar problem with B450 board, but with intereference in his speakers. He would take off his I/O shield and it magically disappeared, turns out it was onboard audio causing weird things. He went for USB DAC, leaving I/O shield in place. I have USB DAC too, onboard audio turned off.

I am still wondering if the thing I had (I/O shield) could cause some damage that would result in weirdly working system.
Since I bought my PC I had problems with RAM beeps from time to time and it turned out RAM to be faulty (shop said it was very common with this models) and then I got new RAM and had it stick to 1.4V instead of 1.36V to keep it stable on 3200MHz.

@Unixko If it is repeating as you say, every day at same hours, I would say it is something out of your control.
Check this thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... -loss.html
There are people who went so far to get to know that it can be neighborhood problem rather than apartment problem.
like i living in block on 3 floors there is 12 floors i mean what can do about that nothing

deama

Post by deama » 09 Aug 2020, 12:34

dendu wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 20:51
deama wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 07:53
Ekwalipt wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:37
senny22 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:29
So what are some things you could do to fix or alleviate this problem besides fixing your electricity?
There are no official decisions yet. On Russlan-language and foreign forums write that the input lag can be reduced to a minimum with the purchase of a high-quality UPS, installation of manual ferrite rings on the wires, shielding the wires, changing the apartment.
Have there been noticeable improvements from using a UPS and ferrite rings or is it just speculation?
I have the good mouse feeling from adding ferrite ring cores to the mouse and ethernet cables. Definitely worth trying out, you can sometimes find clip-on rings from old power supply bricks and chargers. Not sure if it lowers input lag, but it has a noticeable effect on mouse control/floatiness for me.

Try looping the mouse cable like in the image and adjusting the size and placement of the loop.

On my setup, the looped ferrite ring is velcro strapped to the built-in ferrite ring of the monitor cable, which is about 10cm from the usb plug end and the loop is about 5cm in diameter and hanging vertically down, also instead of an additional smaller ferrite ring on the end of the mouse cable, one is placed on the looped portion.

Have to experiment a bit, at least you don't need to keep rebooting to test changes (in-game ideally). I came across the ferrite core suggestion from another post on this board and want to say thanks to all for sharing the good info!
How many ferrite cores did you add to your mouse wire? Just one? Also, at what positions?

It would be interesting if you could do a mouse polling rate graph test with and without the ferrite cores, like this one:

Here's the link to the software
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mic ... oaded.html

When you run it highlight it, and then press F2 after you start moving the mouse in a circular motion, make sure you're moving on the desktop and you're not touching the shortcut icons or anything else as this may effect results. Move the mouse for like 5 seconds and then press F2 again to stop it. Then just press Plot and at the bottom left of the new window highlight plot type an pick frequency vs time, that will give you the polling rate graph.

dendu

Post by dendu » 09 Aug 2020, 23:48

Ferrite Core Setup

No Ferrite Cores

With Ferrite Cores

I collected many logs to get the time scale similar on both graphs. At first it looked like a pattern(smoothness) was emerging, but nope, after enough logging there is no difference really with ferrite cores on or off according to MouseTester.

However, in-game (CSGO), without the ferrite cores, my mouse movement constantly overshoots, swinging back and forth pass the target. I am used to having the ferrite cores on, so I guess I am over compensating in aim and the ferrite cores have a dampening effect, lowering the floatiness and making the crosshair more controllable on my setup.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 10 Aug 2020, 15:15

dendu wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 23:48
Ferrite Core Setup

No Ferrite Cores

With Ferrite Cores

I collected many logs to get the time scale similar on both graphs. At first it looked like a pattern(smoothness) was emerging, but nope, after enough logging there is no difference really with ferrite cores on or off according to MouseTester.

However, in-game (CSGO), without the ferrite cores, my mouse movement constantly overshoots, swinging back and forth pass the target. I am used to having the ferrite cores on, so I guess I am over compensating in aim and the ferrite cores have a dampening effect, lowering the floatiness and making the crosshair more controllable on my setup.
where everywhere is your ferrite cores i am confuse

deama

Post by deama » 10 Aug 2020, 15:41

dendu wrote:
Interesting no difference on mousetester but you say you can feel a difference in csgo?
I might try it myself since they're cheap.

dendu

Post by dendu » 10 Aug 2020, 18:54

Ferrite cores are those bulging cylinder things on the cables.

Actually Ferrite bead is the right term:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

They are worth a try and do help in-game if you sense that software settings/tweaking alone are not having as much effect on improving mouse movement.

I tried placing the ferrite beads in different spots, even inside the mouse and midway along the cable, both positions made movement worse for me. It is sort of related to the elusive power/emi issues that are affecting some. Please try them and share your findings.

Also, maybe before extreme measures like changing apartments, try rearranging your physical computer setup, place the case in a new orientation and try to route the cables so they don't touch each other and keep the power cables away from device ones.

ffs_

Post by ffs_ » 11 Aug 2020, 03:16

In ideal environment (good electricity, low EMI) even with unstable polling rate you could still have better input-lag and/or mouse movement than somebody with very stable polling rate but bad environment.

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 11 Aug 2020, 05:19

ffs_ wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 03:16
In ideal environment (good electricity, low EMI) even with unstable polling rate you could still have better input-lag and/or mouse movement than somebody with very stable polling rate but bad environment.
true

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 11 Aug 2020, 08:03

dendu wrote:
you haven't cropped the graphs.

https://youtu.be/fsagNLkkVPI
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2020, 18:46

Unixko wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 15:15

Your science problem is you're probably not testing under the same RFI environment.

MouseTester app alone, creates a PC that consumes only 60-100 watts (idling computer with power management)

CS:GO creates a PC that consumes >300 watts (GPU chugging at max power) on a typical modern powerful GPU.

The fields of RFI at 300 watts is much bigger and stronger.

TL;DR: You ideally want to rev your computer to maximum (CPU 100%, GPU 100%, Robust Network Througput, AND Robust Disk Throughput) during RFI testing

Re-test MouseTester under the same RFI conditions (GPU generating 3D at full power). The problem is multitasking MouseTester and CS:GO may not be possible. Maybe primary-monitor CS:GO with secondary-monitor MouseTester? You may have to launch into some disposable super-frantic CS:GO server with a disposable account, so you don't ruin your CS:GO as a sitting duck when Alt+Tabbing to MouseTester. Even that might not work, if the game internally pauses some processing when Alt-Tabbed. Make sure to use VSYNC OFF though, to full-throttle your GPU RFI / CPU RFI to the maximum interference possible. Keep the network spewing hard (maximum network RFI), so be in an online game while running MouseTester.

To understand better, you literally want as many as possible -- transistors and cables and circuit paths -- hot with signals simultaneously, churning those pixels, bytes, polygons, game data, movements, packets, whatnot, etc. Blast the packets, blast the frames, blast the polls, get the GPU 100% CPU 100%... If one of your chips or cables are idle, de-idle it somehow, when running RFI-rejection performance tests. Create the duress condition.

Don't forget to add a Kill-a-Watt to your lab testing equipment if you're an aspiring hardware tester who wants to scientifically reproduce RFI testing conditions. A computer is not a polar Yes/No in RFI behavior. You have to really chug-chug the maximum number of copper wires & transistors possible, to intentionally maximize RFI problems, which means.... Full hardcore network GAMING while mouse-testing.

For RFI testing, redline your computer to the max! Sometimes RFI only shows up at the figurative metaphorical redline region, on the metaphorical RPM meter of your computer. Get all the chips and wires as hot as possible simultaneously. This is where scientific testing of ferrite cores starts to show actual results.

Sherlock Holming the science, baby!

P.S.

MouseTester is open source. Are you a software developer? One could modify MouseTester to use mousehooks (HOOKPROC LowLevelMouseProc via SetWIndowsHookEx), so that you can run it on a secondary monitor while playing the game on a primary monitor (at least on cheat-allowed servers, since mouse hooks are detected by anticheat software). This would make RFI testing easier with MouseTester
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!