New input/display lag measurement kit using raspberry pi and some cheap hardware

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
xeos

New input/display lag measurement kit using raspberry pi and some cheap hardware

Post by xeos » 31 Aug 2020, 12:25

I recently finished a new device for measuring input lag / display lag - that is to say how long your display takes to respond to input over HDMI. It also measures response time (b2w). It's a kit that you plug into your raspberry pi, and measures both input lag and (separately) response time. Because it uses the pi as a signal generator it's relatively cheap, at only $40. I say kit, because it's hand-assembled (by me): what you get doesn't require any soldering, but it doesn't come with a fancy box or packing ether. The software is pretty nice, however: it produces real-time graphs and includes the ability to export raw recordings for more detailed analysis / fancy graphing after the fact.

I call it the piLagTesterPRO. I'd be curious to hear what people think:

https://alantechreview.blogspot.com/202 ... -page.html

note that this is different from my entirely free software based input lag tester, the piLagTester. That's still available, and works great if you have a decently fast camera.
Measure display input lag the cheap way or the best way (IMHO, but I'm biased).

xeos

Re: New input/display lag measurement kit using raspberry pi and some cheap hardware

Post by xeos » 07 Sep 2020, 15:16

FYI for those of you wondering why you might want to measure your input lag, I've found that displays input lag can vary depending on a of factors. Expected one's like game mode, but also it can depend on other visual settings like noise reduction, or even resolution (I just tested a TV where at native resolution it had an excellent 3ms of lag, but for every other resolution it was 25ms, or worse)! And completely unexpectedly I also found a TV where the lowest display lag was when it was driven over component (ypbpr) cables (I would have expected the reverse, if anything).

For retro gamers it's also pretty helpful to be able to test lag for interlaced content (480i), which nobody seems to bother with on even the best hardware review sites. It's usually worse, but sometimes by a staggering amount. One crap-tastic TV I tested showed 480i video with an extra 70ms of lag, compared to 480p. I also discovered that my beloved DVDO VP50 deinterlacer actually has a bug that makes progressive content higher lag than interlaced content. Yikes. Thank god for the OSSC.

Unfortunately, my supply of tv's to test is limited to cheap cast-offs from craigslist and the like. We need more crowd-sourced input lag measurements.
Measure display input lag the cheap way or the best way (IMHO, but I'm biased).